Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since upgrading to Yosemite my Apple Bluetooth Mouse disconnects continuously

Seems like Yosemite broke something in Bluetooth... In my case, our MacMini is used as the family entertainment center, using a BT keyboard and BT mouse, all Apple designed products. The BT mouse continually disconnects and reconnects and it is effectively broken. The keyboard seems fine.

I have tried basic debugging like re-pairing and switching BT off and on - just basic debug - without success.

I am considering downgrading to Mavericks, but hoping Apple will put out a patch soon.

Isn't this is rather basic functionality which should be tested and caught by Apple QA before it leaves the building?

Please fix. I know a lot of people are talking about this bug. Any idea if a fix is in the works or already posted?

Thank you,

Rick B

MacBook Pro 17" 2.6GHz, Hi-Rez, Mac OS X (10.5.2), iPhone 16 GB, PowerMac Dual G5, PowerBook 17", MacMini

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 8:14 PM

20 replies

Jan 20, 2015 5:54 PM in response to Barry Hemphill

> To my knowledge, there is nothing associated with OS X 10.10 to cause yoru issue.

Hmmm, does that mean you looked at the internal Apple bug database for BT related issues and saw nothing related? Or you don't think there are any issues?

Resetting PRAM did not solve the problem. Resetting the SMC requires pulling the battery - not fun for this unit. I will have to try resetting SMC when I have more time.

This BT keyboard and mouse has been rock solid since on this MacMini since I got it 4 years ago. Every OS upgrade all has been well. After upgrading to Yosemite I started having intermittent connection issues with my mouse. I went through all the trouble shooting, re-pairing, new batteries, etc, but still the same problem. Interestingly, the keyboard is fine, only the Apple Mouse is intermittent. There is nothing physically wrong with the Mouse, AFAIK, and it has 100% battery.

I'll try resetting the SMC at some point and let you know. (If I had a nickel for every time I heard "Reset PRAM & SMC", I could buy more Apple stock :-)

Jan 21, 2015 6:35 PM in response to musicalengineer

I've had bluetooth issues since the software on my Macbook pro was upgraded to Yosemite. I have to turn off the bluetooth, then turn off the blue tooth on the device I want to use. Then shut off the laptop, power it on and reset the PRAM a few times. Once everything comes back up, I then have to power on all the bluetooth options and cross my fingers it connects. Usually on the first try it doesn't and I go through the same process as above ...again. (I just did this and I do this everyday and trust me, it ****** me off).

Feb 2, 2015 8:46 PM in response to Irishsun

I have the same issue. To get my Microsoft Surface mouse working I have to, Delete it in Bluetooth settings, then Pair it. If I turn off the mouse it refuses to work / detect. I have to delete it again then pair it.

All this started after 10.10.2

in 10.10.1... I only had to pair it once. After that initial pair, I could turn the mouse off and then back on and the Mac would detect it.

Feb 2, 2015 11:59 PM in response to musicalengineer

I have exactly the same problem as ProteusStaff, the mouse (microsoft arc touch BT) is disconnected continuously and the solution I find to reconnect and follow the procedure:

Delete it in Bluetooth settings, then Pair it. detect. click on link.

All this started after I upgrade Yosemite in 10.10.2, I didn't have the same problem with Yosemite 10.10.1

Feb 13, 2015 1:01 AM in response to musicalengineer

I found an answer that helped me this morning:

On another website

i know it may sound weird. I tried clearing PRAM and did all other things...But my mouse will not connect to the mac. Then one day i found out it will solve my problem of magic mouse not connecting to mac.:

• disable blutooth
  • go to finder
  • click on AirDrop on left
  • click on Turn on Blutooth( not from main navigation menu, but this option is visible in finder when you clicked on AirDrop with blutooth off)
  • click on allow me to be discovered by everyone on the bottom
  • try to pair

Aart

Feb 13, 2015 1:04 AM in response to Irishsun

I have found this on another website

i know it may sound weird. I tried clearing PRAM and did all other things...
But my mouse will not connect to the mac. Then one day i found out it will solve my problem of magic mouse not connecting to mac.:

disable blutooth

go to finder

click on AirDrop on left

click on Turn on Blutooth( not from main navigation menu, but this option is visible in finder when you clicked on AirDrop with blutooth off)

click on allow me to be discovered by everyone on the bottom

try to pair
This helped me this morning... I have two magic mouses, and they both disconnected and would't reconnect again .. It could be something with the new airdrop-BT-connection-possibilities.

Aart

Feb 21, 2015 2:11 PM in response to Aart Strik

I have the same problem. I have both Microsoft arc touch mouse surface edition (platinum) and arc touch mouse bluetooth MacBook Pro Retina Mid-2014. They both have the same issue, before updating to Yosemite, work fine, probably the best mouse I ever had. After Yosemite upgrade, after I pair the mouse with MacBook Pro, it work fine for a while. If I turn off the mouse, turn off the bluetooth, or leave it alone for a while so bluetooth disconnect, both mouse stop working.

Funning thing is I also have a MacBook Pro Retina 2012. The mouse pair fine and work after I turn off and turned back on either on the mouse or the bluetooth. I went to Apple store and tried out the pairing process on their MacBook Pro, also Mid-2014, it does not work like mine Mid-2014 MacBook Pro.

I am extremely frustrated. I've tried turn mouse on and off, MacBook Pro on and off, reset PRAM, remove the bluetooth plist, use the AirDrop pairing, nothing works. I am begin to doubt about Apple's ability to get things right.

Feb 24, 2015 12:40 PM in response to musicalengineer

I can't say I have a definitive fix, but I can tell you what worked for me. I have a MacMini (bluetooth mouse, keyboard, and trackpad) that started experiencing mouse disconnections. The batteries were <20%, so I figured I would replace them along with the keyboard batteries that were very low. After I did this, the mouse worked fine, but the keyboard was flaky - literally disconnecting at least once per 100 characters. As I am not usually looking at the screen when I type, this was a lot worse for me than the mouse! Since it's non-trivial to turn off and on bluetooth when everything is bluetooth, I tried turning the keyboard on and off. This did nothing. On a lark, I removed the batteries and reinserted them. Shazzam! Everything now works! I have no idea what changed, but guessing there is something more the bluetooth device does when its powering up than when its just turned on.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

May 4, 2015 5:59 AM in response to wordragon

i've recently encountered this same problem (mid-10 mbp, running 10.10.3). got to a point where it was happening quite regularly and within a minute of re-enabling bluetooth and/or power cycling the mouse. nothing seemed to work.

tried the suggestion of pulling the batteries and that seems to be working. i've gone a few hrs now without any issues. hopefully this will do the trick!

Since upgrading to Yosemite my Apple Bluetooth Mouse disconnects continuously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.