Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete User, minus sign grayed out? (MacBook pro)

How do I delete an user account when the minus sign is grayed out? I am currently logged in as administrator and see the standard user I would like to delete under other users but the minus signed is grayed out.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 12:55 PM

24 replies

Oct 15, 2017 6:29 AM in response to og77

I have deleted guest user accounts before. There are two people who use this iMac. I am the administrator, so I select the padlock, enter my password and I still cannot delete the Guest account by selecting the - sign. There is also a Guest folder displayed unde users. I can drag and drop the folder but can't delete the user via system preferences. Why? and is there another way to delete the guest user. Could the other user have set up the guest user?

Jan 15, 2015 5:43 PM in response to og77

Hmmm, it's not 10.5.6 you're on then, which version is it?

In your pic, Login items should only be showing for the logged in user, as well as the minus icon only grayed out for logged in users...

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

So, it seems these accounts are muxed up somehow, at top right of your screen, click on your short name OG & see if more than that account shows a check beside it.

I think we may have to create a new admin account, log out & into that one to see if the same holdup is getting us.

Jan 15, 2015 10:22 PM in response to og77

Sorry, I hadn't even noticed that it showed Mac OS X (10.5.6). I must have selected the wrong one when originally submitting the question from my iPhone. I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.1. Can you explain where on the upper right hand corner I should see OG? I see only the icons shown on the previous screen shot I shared (Apple TV, Time Machine, Bluetooth, WIFI etc).

How to delete User, minus sign grayed out? (MacBook pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.