Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SONICable claims it can charge in 50% of time?

SONICable says it charges any device in just half the time of a regular USB cable. It is currently funded on Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sonicable-the-world-s-most-advanced-charging- cable

I remember a long discussion here last year where it was determined that iPhone draws power as it needs, and the choice of cable or power supply doesn't matter (can't seem to find that thread right now). Is SONICable making some incredulous claims?

Can someone with the expertise give their 2c on this topic? Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 8:44 AM

26 replies

Jun 5, 2017 12:10 PM in response to grindallday

Anybody saying it charges faster without data and context is meaningless. Are you charging with a computer USB port? Are you syncing data the same time, or not (and how long does the sync take before it's done and no longer a factor)? How long does it take to charge it with just the power brick (and what power supply - a 1A iPhone power supply or a 2.1A iPad power supply)? From what charge level are you charging from? And how old is the beattery and how many cycles does it have?

If somebody is going to claim that a cable alone magically improves charging time, they need to be explicit by just what they mean by "faster" than what? They need to supply actual data relative to an explicit standard.

Jan 16, 2015 9:45 AM in response to michaelckim

It says that it can disable syncing, and that is what improves charging speed. And while that makes sense... you can do the same thing just by plugging it into the AC adaptor and plugging it into the wall. It doesn't 'sync' while charging this way. What's it going to sync with; the wall outlet?

In other words, it may have an effect while connected to a USB port on your computer, but it wouldn't have any impact if you were charging it while connected to the wall.

If you really want to speed up charging? Connect it to a wall outlet, and turn on Airplane Mode. I've seen my device charge up from almost dead to fully charged in about 30-40% of the time it normally takes when I've got data connectivity.

Jan 16, 2015 10:00 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

FYI

USB 2 ports are limited to 900mA unless they are a 'charge only' port, in which case it's 1.5A. If this cable makes the data/charge port appear to be a charge only port it could do what it says.

A charging port can supply currents between 500 mA and 1.5 A without digital negotiation (on demand)

Was just trying to keep it in 'layman's terms', but I understand your point.

Jan 16, 2015 5:54 PM in response to michaelckim

I'm skeptical about this cable, too.

Phones (and batteries in general) are usually designed to charge at certain rates to ensure that the battery can last a certain amount of time before it needs to be recharged again after you unplug it from the charger.

I had the droid razr maxx. The phone (back in the day) was considered to have really good battery life for its size.

But at what cost?

Motorola designed the phone making some concessions to make the phone have a long battery life once it was unplugged.

The most notable item was that the phone charged really slow. In order to keep the long battery life it has to charge slow.

There are battery charging articles that confirm this.

SONICable claims it can charge in 50% of time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.