Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suddenly getting duplicate characters when entering / editing an event. How do I download a "fresh" version of iCal?

Running OS X Yosemite, latest version. Have used iCal for years. Suddenly, every keystroke is duplicated on the screen. For example, in a new event if I type Meet, I get MMeeeett. Figured I should download a fresh version of iCal. Checked the App Store....no luck. Any idea where I can download a fresh version of iCal?

Thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 1:53 PM

17 replies

Jan 16, 2015 2:06 PM in response to firechief2900

Hello! Just to get this clear: do you have this ONLY in iCal/Calendar? Not in any other apps? And does it occur only when creating an event, or does it happen anywhere in iCal/Calendar?

btw: there is no way of downloading a fresh iCal, other than reinstalling the entire OS X, or deleting all files and folders that relate to iCal/Calendar in your current install of OS X.

it might prove easier to solve your keystroke problem than doing all that.

Jan 16, 2015 2:25 PM in response to firechief2900

I'm guessing you really mean Calendar.app, right? Is it only in Calendar that you are getting repeating characters? Did you recently spill anything on the keyboard? Do you have another keyboard you could try to see if also has the problem? What kind of keyboard is it (make & model)? If it's a third party keyboard is there separate software that needs updating to go along with your Yosemite update? Maybe try giving it a good cleaning with a can of compressed air and blow out any small particles that might have fallen in between the keys? Is it one of the newer membrane type keyboards or one of the old-style with real keys?

Anyway could you try this in a terminal window:

cd /Applications/Calendar.app/Contents

ls -la *

sum MacOS/Calendar

On my Yosemite system (10.10.1) I get for the checksum

44982 3435 MacOS/Calendar

What do you get? from both the above commands?

Also what do you have your key repeat rate set at right now? Look in the Keyboard System Preferences panel and it's located in the top left part of the pane.

Jan 16, 2015 2:28 PM in response to firechief2900

firechief2900 wrote:

Yes, Calendar.app. Only in Calendar. Nothing spill don keyboard, I'm using it now to type this message.

Do you know how I force a download of the complete OS and apps?

Thanks

Rather than that, go to "Apple menu > System Preferences > Internet Accounts" and for all accounts listed there, disable Calendar syncing except for 1 account (preferably the one you're noticing the issue occuring)

With only 1 account syncing calendars, does the issue still occur? Please make a back-up before starting, preferably with Time Machine: Basiskenmerken van de Mac: Time Machine maakt een reservekopie van een Mac - Apple Support

Feb 6, 2015 4:06 PM in response to firechief2900

I have been randomly having this same problem over the past few months! I say randomly as it is an intermittent issue--doesn't happen ALL the time. It is NOT taken care of by restarting or even reinstalling iCal. I have just this week had my entire iMac wiped and OSX Yosemite reinstalled at the Genius Bar and I STILL have the problem with the characters randomly duplicating themselves. It is NOT the keyboard as I have tried different keyboards and all of them act the same.

Firechief2900, did you ever find a solution to this issue?

Mar 22, 2015 11:31 AM in response to firechief2900

I just updated to OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2 yesterday and now I'm getting the double character entry as described by other posters above. The problem on occurs in my Calendar and only occurs when typing in the "Event" field. It happens hen creating a new event or edited an existing event. This doesn't happen consistently but once it begins double entering characters, backspacing and retyping doesn't fix the problem. The event text always seems to be ok for the first few lines and the double characters start appearing in the third line of text and continues.

Suddenly getting duplicate characters when entering / editing an event. How do I download a "fresh" version of iCal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.