Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

installing ssd

I currently have a deleted hdd that i want to replace with a ssd.. After replacing it with the new ssd drive how will the computer boot up? any thing I should be aware of

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 7:44 AM

57 replies

Jan 18, 2015 7:55 AM in response to christian nv

Replacing the hard drive or hard drives is a complicated procedure and Apple does not support users performing this upgrade themselves.

In the User Guide, Apple formally states the following:

Except for memory, do not attempt to replace or repair any components inside your Mac mini. If your Mac mini needs service, consult the service and support information that came with your Mac mini for information about how to contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple for service.
If you install items other than memory, you risk damaging your equipment, and such damage isn't covered by the limited warranty on your Mac.

try looking around non-Apple forums for step by step instructions, such as iFixit or Macinstruct.

Jan 18, 2015 8:17 AM in response to christian nv

Many people have done this successfully, and there are many threads on this forum about doing so. In order to get OS X on a newly installed drive, be it an SSD or HDD, the procedure is identical. There are generally two paths to putting a new, unused SSD into operation; either by "cloning" a running installation from some source onto it, or by a fresh install of an installation onto it. Since your current HDD is "deleted", and presumably has nothing you care about on it, the best path is to physically install the SSD into the Macbook Pro (look to iFixit or Macsales.com for vids on how to do this for your model) and then do a fresh install.

If your Macbook Pro is a 2010 or later model, there is a good chance that it either came from the factory or was updated later to have internet recovery, which is a firmware system that allows one to download a fresh OS X from Apple and install it onto your SSD. To access this hold down the "command" key and the "R" key at the same time. Follow the onscreen instructions and see the article here: OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

If your computer, like mine, is too old to have internet recovery, you need to boot off the installation disks that came with your Macbook Pro when it was purchased and install OS X from them. If you do not have these disks you can purchase them from Apple.

Good luck!

Jan 18, 2015 9:00 AM in response to christian nv

I just replaced the HD in this early 2011 MBP 13" with an SSD and I'll never go back. It made a tremendous improvement in stability and speed. Photoshop CS6 opens in 3.4 seconds. Word in 2 flat!

I also did it to my wifes Mini. I only use drives from OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC

There are instructions there and at iFixIt. It's actually pretty simple if you are relatively adept and careful.

Jan 18, 2015 10:50 AM in response to christian nv

You have not provided the exact OSX that you are using. If it is 10.9.5 (Mavericks) or Yosemite, there have been problems reported with some SSDa installed MBPs with those OSX's.

On the assumption that is not the case, do the following:

Format the SSD externally via Disk Utility>Erase to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then you may clone the entire internal HDD to the SSD via Disk Utility>Restore using the internal HDD as the Source and the SSD as the Destination. (You may consider using third party software, Carbon Copy Cloner, to this as well.)

Then boot the MBP via startup manager.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1310

select the SSD icon and see if will boot the MBP. If successful, make the physical swap.

Now there is a caveat. Though 2011 MBPs have Apple instructions for installing a HDD, I do not believe that is the case with 2012 MBPs. If your MBP is under warranty or Apple care, check with the closest Apple store regarding this issue. It would not serve your interests to void any warranty that you may have.

Look at this video to see exactly what is involved:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbookpro_13_unibody_mid12_hd/

You will need a #00 Phillips and a #6 Torx drivers for the installation. Get good ones, they make a difference.

Ciao.

Jan 18, 2015 11:29 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

It was Yosemite.. I had this annoying spinning beach ball just with a mouse click and the mac was incredibly slow all the time.

I did the following:

Use these steps if you need to erase a disk before installing OS X:

1. Before you begin, you need to be connected to the Internet.
  2. Choose Apple menu > Restart, and then hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys while the computer restarts.
  3. Select “Disk Utility,” and then click Continue.
  4. Select your startup disk from the list on the left, and then click the Erase tab.
  5. From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type a name for your disk, and then click Erase.
  6. After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.
  7. If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu in the right corner of the menu bar (in the top-right corner of the screen).
  8. Select Reinstall Mac OS X, click Continue,.and then follow the instructions.

Since I did not do any backups, It left me with a mac where all the data were destroyed on the internal drive beyond any hope of recovery.

When I start it up now theres a flashing question mark which means it can´t find the operating system. The Mac automatically turns off after a few minutes.

Jan 18, 2015 1:20 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I do not think its functional.. I get to the Lion installation process. Then after a few minutes I get a message that something went wrong during the installation and have to start all over. Second time, it says that the mac is gathering extra components and will restart automatically. It will take 224 hours!!!!!!!!!!!! few mins after it says it cant get the extra components needed and im back at square one.

Jan 18, 2015 3:31 PM in response to christian nv

When you boot OPTION + COMMAND + R, do you eventually come to a 4 option menu such as this?

User uploaded file

If so, select Disk Utility.

Run Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and Repair.

If successful, format the HDD with Disk Utility>Erase to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then exit Disk Utility and proceed with the OSX installation.

If the disk cannot be repaired, you will have to use another HDD or the SSD.

Again the drive must be formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) prior installing the OSX.

Ciao.

Jan 19, 2015 12:48 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Yes, I see this 4 option menu. But I cannot click the menus.

I found this from a google search about mac os extended journaled, also from apple forum.

Mine looks like the "erase free space" button. (faded and grey) which means you cannot click them. I will replace my old hdd with the new ssd.. Can you give me the detailed steps i need to take upon booting up the Mac

User uploaded file bottum

Jan 19, 2015 10:58 AM in response to christian nv

christian nv wrote:

I would like suggestions for a 250 gb ssd that fits a MBP a1278 from 2012

OWC seems to have 'bullet proof' SSDs for Macs, that do not require any trim, based on comments from other high level ASC participants. Though I personally do nit have any SSds, I have dealt with OWC on other matters and they have a well deserved reputation for being consumer oriented.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

If you are installing a brand new SSD in your MBP,

Boot the MBP OPTION + COMMAND + R.

The display should show a revolving globe.

Follow the instructions. This will connect you to the Apple servers and they will determine the original OSX that was installed in the MBP This is waht will be installed.

From the 4 option menu select Disk Utility.

Run Disk Utility>Erase formatting the SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Exit Disk Utiliy and select the OSX option. Follow the directions.

A solid Internet connection will be required. A hard wire connection will be faster than WiFi.

Ciao.

installing ssd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.