Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

could not activate cellular data network

Hi

Even though my iPhone 5c shows my provider and 3G - the phone is not connected to cellular data. When opening mail for example I get the popup msg: "Could not activate cellular data network - You are not subscribed to a cellular data service.

A few more details. This problem came up when I switched back from another SIM when travelling abroad. A clean restore solves the problem, restoring from a backup does not. What can I do to solve this while restoring from a backup?

Cellular data is on.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Jan 18, 2015 11:09 AM

18 replies

Jan 18, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Janseeksupport

Since you report just going from a foreign carrier, did you happen to install a carrier update to the phone when using this new carrier? If you go to Settings>General>About>Carrier. Does it display the current carrier that you have a SIM installed for, or the foreign carrier you were using? This could explain it, and restoring from the backup is putting that foreign carrier file back in. Try going to Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. If that does not do it, then you are going to have to restore as new and sync your data back manually if your carrier cannot correct the issue. They should be able to push the carrier back to your phone if necessary.

Jan 18, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Janseeksupport

You can try restoring the backup. If that breaks it then there is no other option. You probably backed it up while on the other network, so the carrier settings were in the backup and get restored when you restore the backup. You should still be able to update the carrier settings with your "home" carrier; I'm surprised that didn't work. To do that (if you haven't already) go to Settings/General/About and tap on the carrier name.

could not activate cellular data network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.