Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Nano 7 Gen is detected but not identified by iTunes on HP Windows 8

I own an iPod Nano 7 Gen and an HP computer with Windows 8. Ever since I installed the iTunes update back in November of 2014 my iPod has not functioned with iTunes. Whenever I plug it into my computer I receive an error message that reads "An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again. If the problem persist uninstall iTunes, then install iTunes again." I have done all that the alert message has told me and even restarted my iPod. Has anyone found a simple solution to this problem?

iPod nano, Windows 8

Posted on Jan 20, 2015 5:48 PM

2 replies

Jan 22, 2015 6:40 AM in response to katrara

Hello katrara,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

To troubleshoot this issue where you're getting the error "An iPod has been detected but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the iPod, then try again," please follow the directions in the article below. There are some more steps to go through in addition to uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes.

iPod nano: Error message saying that iPod could not be identified properly - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Oct 12, 2015 7:38 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Re: iPod Nano 7 Gen is detected but not identified by iTunes on HP Windows 8

in response to alex_h1

Alex,

I am having the same problem and I have followed every step in the troubleshooter and still no resolve to the issue. I also have an ipod shuffle and iTunes has no problem with that device. iTunes really has to come up with an answer to this issue. I think it has something to do with the latest update. Before the update, everything worked fine.

Nancy

iPod Nano 7 Gen is detected but not identified by iTunes on HP Windows 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.