Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Storage - deleted email but still having issues

After receiving notices that my iCloud storage was full (and according to the settings, it was all used up by email), I deleted most of my inbox and trash 3 days ago. Today, I still am not receiving any new email so I completely deleted my inbox and trash folders with still no luck. How can my storage still be full after deleting over 118,000 messages? Please help.

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 12:12 PM

Hello jenrm23,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If your iCloud storage is full due to email usage, and trashing the items has not helped clear the space, please follow the directions below to clear that data from the iCloud server.

Mail

You can free up iCloud storage space by deleting email messages from your iCloud email account. You can also move email messages from your iOS device to your Mac or PC, where they no longer count against your iCloud storage.

Use the steps below to delete messages from your account. Remember that messages with large attachments take up more space than simple text emails.

iOS

If your iOS device is configured to access iCloud email, you can delete messages from any mailbox, then empty the Trash to free up space:

1. Swipe left across any message to delete it.
  2. Tap your Trash folder.
  3. Delete messages one at a time or delete all of them by tapping Edit, then tapping Delete All.

OS X or Windows

If you're using iCloud Mail with a desktop email app, such as OS X Mail or Microsoft Outlook, use these steps:

• OS X Mail: Delete the messages that you no longer want, then choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items and select your iCloud email account from the menu.
  • Microsoft Outlook 2007 (Windows): Delete the messages that you no longer want, then choose Edit > Purge and select your iCloud account from the menu.
  • Microsoft Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 (Windows): Delete the messages that you no longer want. Outlook will permanently delete your messages the next time you close and restart the app.

iCloud.com

1. From your computer, sign in to iCloud.com.
  2. Click Mail.
  3. Delete the messages that you no longer want, then click the gear icon and select Empty Trash.

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2015 12:12 PM in response to jenrm23

Hello jenrm23,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

If your iCloud storage is full due to email usage, and trashing the items has not helped clear the space, please follow the directions below to clear that data from the iCloud server.

Mail

You can free up iCloud storage space by deleting email messages from your iCloud email account. You can also move email messages from your iOS device to your Mac or PC, where they no longer count against your iCloud storage.

Use the steps below to delete messages from your account. Remember that messages with large attachments take up more space than simple text emails.

iOS

If your iOS device is configured to access iCloud email, you can delete messages from any mailbox, then empty the Trash to free up space:

1. Swipe left across any message to delete it.
  2. Tap your Trash folder.
  3. Delete messages one at a time or delete all of them by tapping Edit, then tapping Delete All.

OS X or Windows

If you're using iCloud Mail with a desktop email app, such as OS X Mail or Microsoft Outlook, use these steps:

• OS X Mail: Delete the messages that you no longer want, then choose Mailbox > Erase Deleted Items and select your iCloud email account from the menu.
  • Microsoft Outlook 2007 (Windows): Delete the messages that you no longer want, then choose Edit > Purge and select your iCloud account from the menu.
  • Microsoft Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2013 (Windows): Delete the messages that you no longer want. Outlook will permanently delete your messages the next time you close and restart the app.

iCloud.com

1. From your computer, sign in to iCloud.com.
  2. Click Mail.
  3. Delete the messages that you no longer want, then click the gear icon and select Empty Trash.

Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Jul 13, 2015 1:03 PM in response to Tim Francis

I had been having the same issue of email taking-up 4.8GB space of 5 GB limit even after I had deleted all iCloud mail or moved it to my Mac (all iCloud mail including inbox, send and trash). I decide to Quit Mail (option in the Mail tab) and reopen. When I re-openned Mail, storage dropped from 4.8 GB to .67 GB. Hopefully this is the fix and will work for others.

Feb 6, 2017 8:42 PM in response to jenrm23

Similar case here. I deleted the INBOX and went down to just 402 messages (in my INBOX). But I noticed that the quota wasn't decreasing significantly. So I checked my SENT folder and I had messages dating 10 years back. I deleted all the SENT messages until December 31, 2014. Now my "mail usage" of the iCloud storage is a fraction of what it was before.

BUT, be aware that by doing this you loose all your messages on iCloud. There are ways to archive them, though. Another way is to use a gmail account and link it to your iCloud.

Jan 27, 2015 12:47 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Thank you for your reply Alex, however, these are the steps I've already taken to clear out my Inbox and Trash folders. It was all done by logging on to iCloud.com. Both folders are still completely empty, but I'm still receiving the alert that my storage is full at the top of the screen.

If I go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup>Manage Storage on my iPhone, it still says Mail is using 5.1 GB (all of my storage). I have nothing left to delete except for some in my Archive folder - but I've deleted 118,000 messages already.

Sep 28, 2015 7:21 AM in response to chuck_3rd

How can I free up the storage taken by non-existent mail?

I emptied all mail including trash and junk and turned off the iCloud mail account on both devices. I do not use any .me or .cloud or .mac email addresses.

iCloud mail storage shows 19.88 MB is being used.

Logging out and back in doesn't free up the mail storage space. Restarting (completely shutting down) the iPhone 6 and iPad mini 3 still doesn't clear it up. Along came iOS9, which I've upgraded to, but iCloud storage still shows 19.88 MB used for mail storage.

Thanks!

What I tried:

From the support page of https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204247, I followed these instructions:

Swipe left across any message to delete it.

Tap your Trash folder.

Delete messages one at a time or delete all of them by tapping Edit, then tapping Delete All.

Nov 4, 2015 11:19 AM in response to huntfor

Im having a similar problem. I wonder if anyone can help me.

I only use iCloud mail, and I dont have any other apple devices. I only use my email as forward. Its a legacy email address really.

My icloud account is showing as full 5mb. Though I have deleted all emails in every folder.

I have signed out of icloud. Closed all browsers.

I have now activated "delete after forwarding".

But still its showing as full 5mb. Any ideas would be greatly received.

iCloud Storage - deleted email but still having issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.