Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storage almost full

Hello,

I have a 5S and I'm pretty tech saavy. This is not my first iPhone however it is my first one to constantly fluctuate with space going from 3gb available to 0 bytes every other day. Nobody on the internet seems to know why this keeps happening. I only have about 1.2 gigs of photos and 1.3 in music and apps and all are significantly less. Even when I add the apps in Usage all together, it does not equal 12.1 GB (phone's capacity). Does anyone have a final resolution to this?

FYI, I am aware of the newest software update and plan to do it later today. Anything else?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1

Posted on Jan 26, 2015 12:26 PM

30 replies

Feb 20, 2015 10:45 AM in response to mooofy

mooofy wrote:

log out of itunes store in settings, wait 10 minutes, then log back in. your storage should go back to what it should have been all along. there is an itunes media caching bug / storage leak in ios 8 (all versions so far), and apple for some reason has decided it isn't worth fixing.

Cite your sources. I've seen nothing of this 'iTunes media caching bug' that you mention, in any of the dozens of devices I manage running iOS 8.

Feb 20, 2015 12:58 PM in response to mooofy

mooofy wrote:

my source is that this issue happens to me a lot and this fix works (albeit temporarily).

try not shooting down other people when you have nothing of value to add yourself

I didn't shoot anything down. I asked for you to cite your source.

Per the Terms of Use of this forum: "Test your answer. When possible, make sure your Submission works on your own computer before you post it."

Nothing about your first post indicated you tested it, and you also made an unsubstantiated claim about what Apple is or is not doing about this issue.

And if the fix only works temporarily, it's just as likely that it is a coincidental effect and not a causal effect.

As far as adding value? In three plus years, I've never seen you make a significant contribution. This is the first question you've solved, and I think that it's not a valid fix.

I manage literally dozens of iOS 8 devices. Never have I seen a 'caching bug' like you've described. Can you provide any corroborating sources, other than your single anecdotal one?

Feb 20, 2015 1:07 PM in response to TJBUSMC1973

my spouse and i both have iphone 6 pluses 64GB. we stream a lot of music via itunes match. approximately every two weeks we start getting "storage almost full" messages. when viewing the manage usage tool, it appears as if we should have 75% of our 64GB free. we have done hard restarts, we have done full backups and restores, we have continually upgraded to the latest ios versions. the ONLY solution that keeps our phones operating (because when you start to get those storage almost full messages, you can't take pictures, apps will crash etc.), the only solution i have found that works is to sign out of the itunes store in settings, to wait a while, and then to sign back in, and low and behold, the devices go down to only using 11-15 GB (instead of almost 64GB). this is all fact. this is my experience. i don't need to scour the internet looking for ideas. i need apple to fix this software glitch. it happens when streaming itunes movies and shows as well - they are never fully released from storage, even though nothing has been downloaded. i'm happy for you and your 8 devices and that they don't have this problem, congratulations.

Feb 20, 2015 1:29 PM in response to mooofy

mooofy wrote:

i don't need to scour the internet looking for ideas. i need apple to fix this software glitch. it happens when streaming itunes movies and shows as well - they are never fully released from storage, even though nothing has been downloaded. i'm happy for you and your 8 devices and that they don't have this problem, congratulations.

We understand this is your experience. No one is denying that. However, your assertion that this is some sort of widespread bug that occurs on every iOS device is where the problem comes in. The fact that you say you don't even need to look anything up, to attempt to verify anything when asked to cite a source for that assertion makes people question it all the more.

I don't have this problem either. Excessive "other" data is very often a sign of a corrupted database. You say you've restored from a back up. That won't do it. You need to restore as new. The back up contains the corruption.

Feb 20, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1 wrote:

That's 2 corroborating sources, unfortunately I don't see the same problem so can't make it 3.

And, with 329 (at last count, I so need to do an inventory update) devices running iOS 8, I don't see the same problem.

So, out of 332 iOS 8 devices, we have two devices that exhibit this issue.

Edit: Forgot about the personal devices in my family. Make that 338.

Storage almost full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.