Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth problem is still persistent with iOS 8.1.3

I could never connect my iPad Air 2 to my Boston Acoustics XS speaker set via Bluetooth. I tried all the previous iOS updated but nothing worked. I just updated to iOS 8.1.3 with a great hope but I ended up in a great frustration..again.. unfortunately that turned to a habit with each Apple update including Yosemite.

The most annoying part is that Apple does not really care, nobody reads here or there, customer service is no different than a moronic AI algorithm. Apple Store guys just replace your iPad which doesnt solve the problem.

THE PROBLEM IS SO SIMPLE: Bluetooth is not working on $600 device which is called iPad Air 2! The same bluetooth speaker works perfectly with any other device I own including MacBook Pro and all androids.

Anyway, my questions are for Apple not for community since nobody can do anything about it.

1. WHY DONT YOU SOLVE SUCH A SIMPLE AND CLEAR PROBLEM APPLE?

2. WHY IS IT THAT DIFFICULT TO GET YOU HEAR YOUR CUSTOMERS?

3. WHY DO YOU EMPLOY SUCH LOUSY ENGINEERS AND MANAGERS?

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.2, ipad Air 2

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 4:10 PM

13 replies

Jan 28, 2015 1:56 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

It depends on your perspective. When many other people hopelessly look for a solution to their iPad Bluetooth problem, they will probably end up here through Google and see that it is a bug in iOS. So that they will not spend much more effort and time on replacing their iPad, resetting it to its factory settings (which is advised by Apple Support) or trying to solve that problem by playing with the Bluetooth settings of other device(s). In that sense, this is an open support message posted in Apple Support Communities.

Thanks for the link by the way, I sent the feedback but I have very little hope that someone will actually read it.

Jan 28, 2015 4:08 AM in response to gnc006

Since I can connect and use BT devices with my iPad Air 2 (also iphone 5, iPad 3 and iPad 4) on iOS 8 (now using 8.1.3) this doesn't appear to be an "all BT is broken in iOS 8" problem.

What you have is an apparent incompatibility between the BT 4 FW released with iOS 8 and the BT 2.1 (probably) implementation on your Boston Acoustics XS speaker set. The error could be on Apples side or Boston Acoustics' side. Although the BT 4.0 standard is upward compatible with BT 2.1 there have been BT 2.1 implementations that didn't work properly with BT 4 through errors in those implementations. This could be another case of this simply brought out by changes in the iOS 8 BT 4.

IF there is no error on Appe's side don't expect any change from Apple. This puts you in a bit of a pickle since the BT Firmware in your speaker set is probably not customer upgradable.

if you have reported your problem to Apple that's about all you can do. Good luck.

Jan 28, 2015 12:45 PM in response to gnc006

Oh, they will read your feedback. But, as JimHdk indicated, it is not an iOS wide bug. I'm not sure what troubleshooting you have done, but I did not indicate troubleshooting steps, because your OP indicated your questions were for Apple, not the Community, I simply told you that Apple does not participate here. If you would like to discuss what troubleshooting you have done, and what others may recommend, there are a number of people here that are willing to help.

Let us know what you have done, and someone will make suggestions.

Jan 29, 2015 5:26 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you for the answers. It is definitely not all Bluetooth is broken in iOS 8 but for me the speaker set was the only use for that troublesome technology so it is all broken in my side. I didn't have any BT connection problem with iOS 7 so as JimHdk said there must be something new in iOS 8 regarding the BT connectivity. It is their task to ensure the compatibility with existing BT devices in the market. It seems like lack of proper testing to me.

Jan 29, 2015 9:02 AM in response to gnc006

gnc006 wrote:

It is their task to ensure the compatibility with existing BT devices in the market. It seems like lack of proper testing to me.

That is where we differ. It is their responsibility to provide the latest BT technology, it is the responsibility of the manufacturers of Bluetooth devices to ensure their devices work with the latest technology. Check with Boston Acoustics to see if they have any answers as to why their devices do not work with iOS 8. They may also be able to provide you with instructions on how to reset the device.

Jan 31, 2015 12:25 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Those speakers were already able to work with all BT devices including iOS 7. I don't think it would be fair to expect them to predict the future technologies and manufacture accordingly. It is not BT versioning anyway since I have another BT 4 device that can stream music to the speakers. It is not even Boston Acoustics only, there are many other people having a similar problem with other brands as well : Ipad IOS 8 Bluetooth speakers no longer work

Jan 31, 2015 2:12 PM in response to gnc006

I'd also like to comment that these same speakers (I'm having the same issue as the OP) worked fine on iOS 6 and 7. Only with iOS 8 did this issue crop up. I have contacted BA and they stated that the issue only appears on iOS 8 BT devices. Previous iOS devices and other manufacturers work fine, so my feeling is this really is an Apple issue. As I'm now in the market for a new phone, I suspect I may just have to switch over to another device ecosystem.

Jan 31, 2015 2:17 PM in response to gnc006

I just want to say that I got my iPhone 6 in October and have never been able to connect to my car, Macbook Pro, or other phones via Bluetooth and I have installed each update as they come, so yes it may be the speakers are incompatible but may not be totally to blame - my Bluetooth has never worked with any other device, ever, even with all of the updates.

Bluetooth problem is still persistent with iOS 8.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.