Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad IOS 8 Bluetooth speakers no longer work

Upgraded Ipad 3 to IOS 8 and Boston Acoustics Bluetooth speakers no longer work. The speakers pair with the Ipad, but connection drops when opening any app that attempts to use the bluetooth connection. Seems like the updated IOS blutooth driver is the problem. I tested with Iphone 4, Iphone 5, ipad 2 running IOS 7

and all work fine. Tested with Iphone 6 plus, Ipad 3, Ipad 2 using IOS 8 and none of the IOS 8 devices work... Also did the IOS 8 patch and did not fix this issue.

The Boston Acoustics Speakers supports Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR, A2DP v1.2

Seems like Apple can't get the wireless side right, IOS 6 had issues with Wifi and Bluetooth muting, that was corrected in IOS 7, now another wireless problem that makes these $350 speakers a boat anchor..... and not usable.

Perhaps they need to hire some RF / Wireless engineers and do a better job of regression testing... I am a wireless engineer and know that we never make hardware or software upgrades without extensive inter op testing and friendly user trials...

John

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8

Posted on Oct 1, 2014 10:53 AM

45 replies

Oct 3, 2014 8:56 AM in response to Jswant

I have this same exact issue with my Boston Acoustics SoundWare XS Digital Cinema 2.1 system. Any other device can connect just fine including all of my previous iPhones and Android devices, but my new iPhone 6 will not keep the connection. Strange because the iPhone 6 will connect and work perfectly fine with my Plantronics Voyager Legend and my JBL Flip bluetooth. What happened guys, Mr. Jobs passed and you all forgot how to do proper QA? This type of foolishness is expected from Microsoft, not Apple.

Oct 22, 2014 12:26 PM in response to Jswant

Any fix for this?

I have the same Boston Acoustics XS Theater Sound. My iPhone 5c ever since upgrading to iOS 8 will not connect to the speakers any more. It connects briefly for a second then the Music about pauses it self. When you press play music comes out of the iPhone. You have to quit the music app to try and reconnect which starts the process all over again.

This is more than a month now.

Oct 23, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Melvin

I have the very same issue - very frustrating. iOS 8.1 hasn't fixed the problem.

I contact Boston Acoustics and was told that there was "no way" it was going to work with latest version of iOS and as there is no facility to update the SoundWare system, any fix would have to come from Apple. Shame. I hope they do soon.

Dec 10, 2014 10:50 AM in response to Melvin

The iOS 8.1.2 update Bluetooth is still broken. How can something so simple like Bluetooth not maintain backwards compatibility? Nothing changed on the Boston Acoustics Soundware XS speakers so the problem has been caused by Apple breaking Bluetooth functionality.

I am using an iPhone 5c. Maybe just maybe I could understand if I upgraded to a new device something might not work any more like Bluetooth. But a simple software update cripples a device like this is ridiculous. And yes the phone is crippled using Bluetooth. The phone connects to the speakers for a split second sound comes out then the Music app pauses. Pressing play again it does not connect but starts playing from the phones speaker.

In simple terms.

It stinks.

Ipad IOS 8 Bluetooth speakers no longer work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.