Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote Desktop Client 3.8.2 keeps reappearing in App Store

See App Store image. No matter what I do, I can't get the Remote Desktop Client Update 3.8.2 update requests to go away in the Mac App Store. See all the records below? That's how many times I've apparently updated it, but it keeps appearing, and obnoxiously apparent every time I use my Dock as the attached image shows. I've had similar issues with other updates, and I'm tired of it.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Late-2012

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 9:06 AM

45 replies

Jan 28, 2015 3:23 PM in response to plusd

This Appstore insanity has to stop. I have had this issue with Safari, Raw Camera, Security Update, and The previous dot version of of the system, and the 10.10.2 that was just released. I was finally able to update the system by downloading the whole Yosemite (5+GB!) on my limited broadband WiFi. As soon as that was installed the previous 3 updates finally stopped showing up over and over again and then just pretending to install, but never really installing. As soon as I checked for updates on the Appstore, the Apple Remote Desktop Client 3.8.2 started the exact same process!!! This is the most aggravation I have had from Apple products in over 26 years using, supporting, and evangelizing Apple products! Argh!!!😠 To make it even worse, most of these updates aren't available from Apple as direct downloads. I have the absolute top of the line Retina Macbook Pro from late 2013 2.6GHz i7, 1 Terabyte SSD. Most of the advice from people on the Apple support website to say "back up your computer and reinstall the system software" (which seldom fixes it!). This what I used to have to routinely do on the windows machines we had deployed in classrooms... I have been been experiencing and reading about this very issue with system software for several months (especially bad considering the serious security risk of the security updates not installing!).

About the only silver lining with this that I can see is that so far, my non system Apps have been updating... knock on wood, I hope at least that keeps working.

FedUp!

Don

Jan 30, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Tux Kapono

So the only solution that I have found that works for Remote Desktop Client is to manually delete the app, then restart your machine, and the install it from the App Store, and then do the update one last time in the App Store. Definitely not ideal.

Hint: Delete the app using App Cleaner http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner to make sure all preferences are removed as well.

Jan 30, 2015 8:11 PM in response to Tux Kapono

Update:

With the late 2012 Retina Macbook Pro, Remote Desktop Client 3.8.2 won't go away, and neither will a Lexmark Printer update. However, iTunes 12.1 does not even appear. I was on the 10.10.2 beta, but not anymore.

With my wife's mid-2010 Macbook Pro, it's the same: Remote Desktop Client 3.8.2 won't go away, and neither will a Lexmark Printer update. However, iTunes 12.1 does not even appear, and it never was on the 10.10.2 beta.

My other 2010 Macbook Pro updates everything normally, including iTunes 12.1, and it was on the 10.10.2 beta program, but not anymore.

Jan 31, 2015 3:36 PM in response to Tux Kapono

I have the same problem too 😟 Two different Macs; an iMac and a MacBook Air. It did however work on a different iMac and a Mac Pro so it definitely seems to be random. Also, everyone has the client on their machine, it's part of the OS. The Apple Remote Desktop Admin is a separate piece of software that you can purchase from Apple that allows the remote administration of Macs. I don't know if there is a way to uninstall just the client part.

I've also tried all the fixes so far that I can find online as far as deleting preferences, caches, plists, etc. Nothing seems to truly get rid of the update.

Remote Desktop Client 3.8.2 keeps reappearing in App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.