Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite 10.10.2 Kext Signing block the 3rd party developer's SSD

In the new Yosemite 10.10.2 , Apple's security mechanism, called Kext Signing.(kind of verification)

This Verification will check the system within the security of all the hard drivers, if a third party has not proven,those hardware can't be work on 10.10.2

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 8.1.3, 10.10.2

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 2:16 PM

20 replies

Jan 28, 2015 2:40 PM in response to Kappy

Sorry , cuz that's my first time use Apple Support Communities.

i was upgraded the Transcend 725 SSD for my MBP.

the question is my MBP was update to 10.10.2, but when update completed and automatic Re-Boot the MBP i got the black screen with STOP logo.

except use Time Machine back to 10.10.1. does any option can keep both ?(i mean Transcend SSD and work on Yosemite 10.10.2)

Jan 28, 2015 10:49 PM in response to AngraPan84123

I understood you cannot boot up the Mac because kext checking is preventing it from booting.

How did you get the JetDrive Toolbox window? I assume after reverting back to 10.10.1 - right?

Did you experience the same issue when updating from 10.10.0 to 10.10.1?

Did you try to remove the JetDrive Toolbox before the update? Is it possible the toolbox loads an unsigned driver, even with TRIM disabled.

What does the system message say when getting the stop?

Does it say that a driver has been modified and is not allowed to load?

If it's not a modified driver which causes the issue with kext-signing enabled (will be re-enabled by updating the system) than I have no idea.

Good luck!

Jan 29, 2015 8:39 PM in response to homartens

Thank you soooo much !!!!!

you're right! i was using Time Machine back to 10.10.1 then take the screen shot

but even i turn-off the TRIM in 10.1, it still stuck in boot up black screen,

so I decided just back to 10.9(Maverick) then step by step update to 10.10.2

I followed your suggestion. I remove that freaking toolbox , then it's WORKED!!!!!

I SUCCEED!!!

but i don't have bravery to turn-on TRIM again

Feb 1, 2015 3:46 AM in response to Barney-15E

I'm glad you could boot your Mac again.

I will receive my 3rd party SSD (Samsung EVO 850) beginning of next week and I do NOT plan to enable TRIM.

From reading several posts I feel I do not need TRIM because

• my SSD is 500GB in size and my current disk utilization is less than 150GB. So I have plenty of free space.
  • the SSD comes with its own garbage collection which is working efficiently when there's enough idle time. My Mac is usually only streaming internet radio when I'm in the office (not at home). So it's idling around... time for the SSD to do its garbage collection.
  • I don't do much I/O intensive workload (maybe some iPhoto work some times a year).

As far as I read if your SSD has free space and enough idle time to do its own garbage collection you don't need TRIM.

Did you check if your SSD brings its own garbage collection (firmware)?

Feb 3, 2015 4:01 PM in response to homartens

Hi Homartens:

I ran into your reply on the question of SSD 3rd party compatibility and Yosemite Upgrade.

I hope you can help, I would like to upgrade to Yosemite but I have seen write ups that warn about the upgrade if you have 3rd party SSD in your system.

My question is...... I have an ORIGINAL APPLE SSD that came with my MacPro in my main boot drive and also an external Samsung 840 EVO drive that I use on and external connection to the MacPro via thunderbolt. is the problem of the upgrade to Yosemite and lockups ONLY RELATED to 3rd party INTERNAL BOOT drives or also affect the external drive.

At present I am using Maverick latest version and all is working well. I have never worked with trim or have an idea of what it does, but I don't know if anything will happen to the external samsung if I upgrade.

Your help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

AppleLou

Feb 3, 2015 4:27 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank You Barney-15E,

i don't know what Trim Enabler does but I don't even know if I am using it.

If my Main Internal Boot drive is OEM Apple and it does not need Trim Enabler then it should be good for upgrade to Yosemite, but my worry is the 3rd Party external Samsung EVO SSD that I use as a media drive, ,will that be affected, lock up, or does it use Trim Enabler???? When I installed this drive I only formatted it for Mac OS to be used on Maverick and never used any installation software for any Trim process

Can You clarify your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

AppleLou

Yosemite 10.10.2 Kext Signing block the 3rd party developer's SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.