Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adobe CS 6 dialogue boxes opening off screen

Hi all. Since upgrading to Yosemite 10.2 all my dialogue boxes in CS6 (InDesign, Photoshop, etc) now open with the top half disappearing off the top of the screen (see image). I'm working on a dual monitor setup, and the problem is with my larger, second monitor. REALLY annoying, as most of the functionality is now lost since I can't drag the box back into view. Is anyone else getting this, and / or got any solutions? Thanks in advance.

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jan 29, 2015 2:31 AM

35 replies

Jan 30, 2015 2:06 AM in response to BenM71

Ditto, happens in all CC applications except Acrobat for me. Clicking the green resize button takes the document window to the full resolution of the monitor, with the top of the window behind the OS menu bar, hiding the traffic lights etc. It appears to be only dialog boxes with the green resize button, the print and page setup boxes are unaffected.

The only solution I’ve found so far is to change the resolution of the offending monitor to a new setting and back again. This seems to work until the Applications is quit and relaunched. Changing the Application Frame view sometimes resets the window to my MBP screen where I can see the whole dialog box.

Feb 3, 2015 11:35 PM in response to BenM71

Same issues...actually worse. My "open" dialogs are completely off screen and when I want to open a file in e.g. Photoshop CS6 all is greyed out and I can't even close it...I have to force close Photoshop. Readjusting the displays helps, but it's a serious pain.

Illustrator CS6 won't work at all on the second monitor (which is my Cintiq display), using the hand tool will move the document out of frame. Every time. No matter in which direction I try to pull the document.

10.10.2 is a serious bugfest.

Feb 4, 2015 1:12 AM in response to BenM71

Thanks for the moral support everyone, small comfort in not being the only one suffering. As someone has already mentioned, there seems to be a workaround in changing the arrangement of your displays in the system preferences. I've moved from a side-by-side to a top and bottom arrangement, and so far my dialogue boxes are appearing (complete) on one or other monitor. Not always practical to physically move one's screens, but hey ... And MetaDesign – surprised you didn't move to the cloud long ago!?

Feb 7, 2015 1:14 AM in response to Old Toad

Been there, done that...I had the same hopes, but unfortunately it's not working. As soon as I start using the iMac screen for palettes and tools and use the Cintiq as the main monitor I won't see an open-dialog anymore. It's off-screen again.

This issue must be resolved by Apple...I doubt it's a bug by Adobe, since it happened to many people exactly after the update to 10.10.2.

Feb 17, 2015 11:31 AM in response to BenM71

I, for one, also have this problem. I have two external monitors and I consistently run into this issue where the dialog boxes appear half off screen or if I drag the dialog to a monitor that actually has the app in the background, where the dialog opens on the laptop monitor, it disappears completely. I've reformatted the system to see if my CS6 was getting conflicts from CC and it has made no difference.

Feb 23, 2015 5:09 PM in response to BenM71

I've been having this problem since upgrading to yosemite, but i just found a fix based off your suggestion of moving the displays...

i've kept my displays side-by-side, but changed the alignment, so the smaller screen is vertically centred with the larger screen (instead of aligned at the top). the dialog boxes on my larger screen still default to the height of the top of the smaller screen, but since the top of the larger screen extends beyond that, nothing gets cut off anymore.

User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2015 3:29 PM in response to meghtrish

This problem has been a stubborn and frustrating aspect of the latest Yosemite update. Somewhere along the lines, Apple has created an update which doesn't take their own Thunderbolt external displays into account. Bizarre that a company that is so committed to the "little things" could miss something that involves so many of their customers with MacBook Pro/Thunderbolt Monitor set up's.

All of that aside, meghtrish -- your work around has been a very good solution 🙂 (for the most part). I still have to set my windows manually when working with Adobe CC programs on my Thunderbolt monitor, but once it is set up, it seems to work much better than before.

I remain frustrated that Apple has produced such poor support for external monitor set-up's with their MacBook Pro laptop computers 😕. Ridiculous...

Mar 9, 2015 5:36 AM in response to meghtrish

I can t seem to fix the issue with a simple monitor shift. When clicking on palettes the drop down menu at best appears a couple of inches from the mouse cursor, at worst is on the other screen on the other side.

So I have just reverted to using a single screen.

Im never the first to update my system but because of the automatic update feature I am stuck with this awful update until apple decide to fix it. Which seem s like it could be a while.

Apple used to be so good at fixing stuff. Now it just seems to take forever... too busy spending all there money i guess. Success seems to come at a price, that price being my productivity! Spent way to long trying to fix this situation.

Thoroughly disappointed with 10.10.2 and Apple.

Adobe CS 6 dialogue boxes opening off screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.