Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs stutter/jump in new iTunes

I downloaded the new iTunes (12.1) this morning and now every time I play a song, it stutters and jumps. This happens with all songs, and it's only an issue on iTunes.

I've tried closing and re-opening iTunes, and restarting my laptop, and I still have the issue.

I've also tried to edit preferences and change the audio playback, and gone into the sound settings in control panel, but nothing seems to work.

Any help?

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 5:53 AM

84 replies

Jan 30, 2015 10:19 AM in response to aaa89h

Noticing some occurrences of the same thing on iTunes 12.1 / Windows 7 64-bit. The system I'm running on has the iTunes library and all media on an external HDD over USB 2.0, so non-ideal in terms of data transfer speed. I am hearing occasional jumps/stutters when other applications are active - for example, when a browser is accessing a web page with associated scripts. Too early to sure of anything but I suspect that the 64-bit version of iTunes 12.1 (the first release of it that is really 64 bit) may be more sensitive to competition for resources than prior releases.

Jan 30, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Jake Harrison

I've always had occasional playback issues on this system, which though relatively high-spec is typically running multiple desktop apps plus several resource-hungry background processes. All I can say so far is that the jump/stutter behavior seems a little worse with 12.1 than prior releases. Killing some background processes did seem to alleviate the issues but not solve them completely. Looking at task manager there's no evidence of conflict for processor time (iTunes is consistently using around only 2%) or memory - which reinforces the thought that the issue is related to data access speeds and demands.

I didn't notice any issues on the 1st system I upgraded, though it is 32-bit Win 7 and has a USB3.0 external drive. The interesting test will be on the last one I will be installing 12.1 since it is 64 bit but uses USB 3.0 for connection to its library and media data storage.

It would be interesting to know whether anyone is noting this degradation in playback having upgraded to 12.1 32-bit, and the degree to which having library/media files on faster or slower storage makes a difference.

Jan 30, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Jake Harrison

From a brief test the "for older video cards" version does seem to be an improvement for me. Slightly concerned, though, that while installing the full 64-bit version of 12.1.0.77 completely removed the prior Program Files (x86)\iTunes folder, running the pseudo 64-bit installer does not do the same for Program Files\iTunes - looks like files and folders related to the MiniPlayer have been left behind.

Songs stutter/jump in new iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.