Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera won't focus after 8.1.3 update

I updated my iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 8.1.3 today and now the rear camera is permanently focused very close to the phone. I can't change the focus using auto focus, tapping the screen, or manually changing the focal length in Camera+.

Posted on Jan 30, 2015 3:22 PM

67 replies

Feb 2, 2015 8:42 AM in response to jpewitt

Greetings jpewitt,

After reviewing your post, I have located an article that can help with Camera issues. It contains a number of troubleshooting steps and helpful advice for the issue you are experiencing:

Get help with the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Your photos are blurred or out of focus

If your photos are blurred, out of focus, or have dark spots, try these steps:

1. Make sure that the camera lens is clean. If you need to clean the lens, use a microfiber cloth. If you see dirt or debris inside the lens, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.
  2. Make sure that there’s nothing blocking the camera lens. If you’re using a case, try removing it.
    With iPhone 6 Plus, a metallic case or magnetic lens could interfere with optical image stabilization. If you have a metallic case or magnetic lens attachment, try taking a picture without it. Then compare the quality.
  3. Adjust the focus by tapping on the person or object in the preview screen. You’ll see the screen pulse or briefly go in and out of focus as the camera adjusts. In photo mode, try to stay steady when adjusting the focus. If you move too far in any direction, the camera will automatically refocus to the center. In video mode, you can adjust the focus before you begin recording.
  4. If the color seems too bright, or you see double-exposures of moving objects, make sure that HDR is set to Auto or Off. Tap HDR at the top of the screen to choose a different setting.

Thank you for contributing to Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Bobby_D

Feb 2, 2015 8:44 AM in response to bobby_d

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately none of the steps listed in the article are helpful for the problem I am having. The lense is clean. It is not blocked. Tapping on the screen does not change the focus. Neither does using the feature of Camera+ to manually set focal length. It stays focused on the same spot, very close to the phone, no matter what I do.

Feb 2, 2015 9:32 AM in response to jpewitt

jpewitt,

Have you attempted to restore the device to factory settings without restoring from a backup? Test the issue on a new installation, and make sure that it works. Then use the same article to restore from your backup to either verify it still works, or isolate the issue to the backup itself.

How to erase your iOS device and then set it up as a new device or restore it from backups - Apple Support

Take care,

Bobby_D

Feb 5, 2015 6:29 PM in response to jpewitt

Hi Apple,

After updating my Iphone 5s to 8.1.3, below are the list of bugs or errors that I have encountered:

1.) My FRONT CAMERA is not working. It gets hang or stocked.

2.) TOUCH ID is not working saying a display message error that "Failed: Unable to complete Touch ID setup. Please go back and try again later.

This errors did not happened to my phone before. I already have restarted the phone several times but no avail.

Please help us in resolving this issue.

Thank you.

Camera won't focus after 8.1.3 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.