Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family share approval keeps requesting icloud password

I have Family Sharing set to require my approval when my daughter buys something from the store. Today when I try to approve items it keeps asking me to input my icloud password.

Sign In To Approve
Enter the iCloud Apple ID password for [icloud email]

When I put it in, the same dialogue box just reopens with no error message. Today she bought 3 songs. This issue arose and I tried to input my password to no success. I then went to Settings/iCloud and it asked for my Password and there it took. So I went back to the Family Share notifications and 2 went through but when I tried to approve the third it asked for the password again. I tried going back to the iCLoud settings but it doesn't ask for my password. I then actually reset my password to something new but that didn't help either.

I found this article about similar issues in the fall

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/29/apple-woes-continue-some-reporting-icloud-down-acr oss-ios-mac-and-web/

And the system status says everything is fine right now:https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2015 8:24 AM

Hello, I just started having the same problem today. It is very very irritating!!! Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem?

14 replies

Feb 2, 2015 7:16 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks. I did not sign out but as I mentioned I did reset the password. Signing out deletes everything from the device so I held off. It turns out that these folks tried it last fall when it hapened to them and it didn't work:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6569354

It also happens that the same thing is happening on my imac, so it's probably not a hardware issue.

Jul 31, 2015 10:16 AM in response to MGarbowski

I'm having the exact same issue. So frustrating! I can sign into icloud in settings with our problem, sign in to icloud on a PC, but authorizing a family purchase - NOPE! I do have the latest IOS 8.4 and never had this issue before.

I've restarted, reset, logged out, logged in - nothing resolves this issue.

C'mon Apple - please fix this ASAP. We can pay you for songs our family want to purchase so I'd think this would be important to you.

Apr 11, 2016 12:21 PM in response to MGarbowski

Ok, its April 2016 and I have IOS 9.3.1 and my child just requested a app on his family device where I approve apps they purchase. I select approve on my new Iphone 6S and it requests my icloud password and it does not work, it keeps asking for my password. I make sure I am typing it correct and still to no avail, no luck. I log into my icloud account on my MACbook and it works fine. I use the same password and user name in my Mac so no 2 separate accounts. This is frustrating..

Jul 26, 2016 7:33 PM in response to MGarbowski

I struggled for hours with the Family Sharing Approval process repeatedly asking for my iCloud password. I eventually contacted Apple Support and was about to do an iPhone reset (wiping everything off the phone and thus essentially starting with the equivalent of a new clean iphone). I had tried everything up to that point:
-closing all apps and powering the phone off/on
-logging out of iCloud and restarting the phone

-changing my iCloud password
-re-entering all my personal and charge card data, etc, etc.

I backed up the phone and was about to wipe it clean, when the support representative said "let's try one last thing, go into 'Settings>iTunes & App Stores' and 'Sign out', then sign back in again. "
That solved the problem!

I went to 'Notifications' found the request for Approval from my child, I 'Approved' the purchases, was asked for my iCloud password (once only) and the purchase transaction was processed properly.

I had assumed up to that point that logging out of iCloud vs. iTunes would have been one and the same thing since they both share a common log in and access all the same Apple ID server information. However, apparently this is not true. Some people have claimed that this problem can be solved by logging out of iCloud... and since the sign-in message that is the cause of this problem states you need to enter your "iCloud password", this logically makes sense. However the sign in message is a 'red-herring'. That message is a programming dialog error. It should read 'Enter your iTunes ID password'.
It is not the iCloud password or ID that is the problem, it is in fact the iTunes App that is stuck in a login loop.

Simply 'sign-out' (Settings>iTunes &App Stores>click on your 'Apple ID'>Sign Out) and you can then 'sign-in' to iTunes again using your Apple ID and your problem should be solved.

Sep 6, 2016 7:07 PM in response to MGarbowski

The solution is hidden at Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support:

If you decline the request or don't make the purchase, it will be deleted after 24 hours, and the child will need to make the request again.

So what's going on here is that you're trying to approve an expired request, and it's failing, over and over, without notice or explanation.

Sep 19, 2016 11:13 AM in response to Zarquon42

I had the same frustrating issue. Logging out and back in did not help.

I confirmed that my wife had already approved the app that my son had requested.

this made the request old, and so approval failed.

Would have been nice if pop up alert said "app already approved" or the my request notice just disappear if the wife already approved.

Just sayin'

(ios 10, 6sPlus)

Family share approval keeps requesting icloud password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.