Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect three monitor Final cut pro X

Good morning , a courtesy I need to know a few technical things : if you can not answer me indicates a link to ask these questions ?

I decided to buy an iMac 5k retina

I would like to know if using the program Final Cut Pro X can I connect my monitor is 24 inch Cinema Display is my iMac 27 , 2009 as the target display , so ' I can connect two monitors to the two Thunderbolt ports but I would like to know if one of the two monitor is recognized in the port av output ... and then get a setup like this ( although this is ' configuration with Mac Pro ) ,

User uploaded file

Thank You

Posted on Feb 2, 2015 12:05 PM

16 replies

May 10, 2017 3:26 PM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

This is by far the most helpful answer. Using this I have my HDMI TV displaying the content full screen always, while I have my other two monitors showing the FCP screens and controls that I configure, which is perfect. This was the most important bit.

1. To select the monitor in Final Cut Pro, choose Final Cut Pro > Preferences (or press Command-Comma), click Playback, and choose the HDMI monitor from the A/V Output pop-up menu.
  2. In Final Cut Pro, choose Window > A/V Output.The Viewer contents appear on the HDMI monitor. Viewer features (such as onscreen controls and the title-safe and action-safe overlays) can be viewed only in Final Cut Pro.Note: Video and audio are synced at the video frame (not audio sample) level

Feb 2, 2015 2:16 PM in response to fabiofrombagnatica

Yes, many Thunderbolt displays can be hooked up to your Macintosh by daisy-chaining them together or using separate TB ports. I have three Apple TB displays on my MacPro and I also use a TV set on the HDMI port. However, I have not tried to use all four at once and the configuration is sensitive to the which devices are hooked to which TB ports.

Feb 3, 2015 2:20 AM in response to fabiofrombagnatica

I think that it boils down to how each monitor identifies itself to the system. I don't think that in the setup you are describing FCP X is going to recognize one of your monitors as "AV output". I take it that regular monitors, either over TB and HDMI, do NOT get recognized as "AV output" - at least not any of the ones I tried on my 2014 rMBP (which included a 2011 in Target Display Mode over TB, plain old vga monitors and a 1080p monitor (not TV) over HDMI).

Feb 3, 2015 7:18 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Final Cut Pro includes an A/V Output option to send video and audio from your computer to an external video monitor. The A/V Output feature shows you how video and audio look and sound on an NTSC/PAL, HD, or 4K monitor. In addition, this feature allows you to test output with sophisticated external devices such as vectorscopes and waveform monitors.

NTSC or PAL output requires compatible third-party video interface hardware and software. 4K output requires a third-party video interface or a 4K-capable Mac with an HDMI output. FireWire DV devices are not supported. For more information about third-party devices and software, contact the device manufacturer or go to the Final Cut Pro X Resources webpage.

View playback on an external monitor using a third-party video interface

1. Install the video interface hardware and software according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  2. Connect an external video monitor to the video interface, and make sure the monitor and all other external devices are connected to power and turned on.
  3. To select an A/V output device, choose Final Cut Pro > Preferences (or press Command-Comma), click Playback, and choose the external monitor from the A/V Output pop-up menu.
  4. In Final Cut Pro, choose Window > A/V Output.The Viewer contents appear on the broadcast monitor. Viewer features (such as onscreen controls and the title-safe and action-safe overlays) can be viewed only in Final Cut Pro.Note: Video and audio are synced at the video frame (not audio sample) level.User uploaded file

View playback on an external monitor using HDMI

If you’re using Final Cut Pro 10.1 or later on a 4K-capable Mac with an HDMI port, you can play 4K or HD 1080 video on an external video monitor connected to the HDMI port.

For a list of compatible Mac computers, see Final Cut Pro X 10.1: Mac Computers Capable of Monitoring 4K Video via HDMI.

1. Use an HDMI cable to connect the external (HDMI) video monitor to the HDMI port on your Mac, and make sure the monitor is connected to power and turned on.
  2. To configure the HDMI monitor, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and click Displays.
  3. In Displays preferences, set the HDMI monitor to be a secondary display.
  4. Select Scaled, and in the list that appears, select 4096 x 2160, 3840 x 2160, 1080i, or 1080p.Note: You may need to press the Option key while you click Scaled to see additional resolutions for the HDMI monitor.
  5. To select the monitor in Final Cut Pro, choose Final Cut Pro > Preferences (or press Command-Comma), click Playback, and choose the HDMI monitor from the A/V Output pop-up menu.
  6. In Final Cut Pro, choose Window > A/V Output.The Viewer contents appear on the HDMI monitor. Viewer features (such as onscreen controls and the title-safe and action-safe overlays) can be viewed only in Final Cut Pro.Note: Video and audio are synced at the video frame (not audio sample) level.User uploaded fileTo turn off A/V output, choose Window > A/V Output.

Mar 31, 2015 1:45 AM in response to MacLambh

MacLambh wrote:

I have an new Imac 5 k and a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. I have picture on the second display over HDMI but I cant as suggested chose it as Av output in preferences in FCPX. It just says AV output not foundand it is impossible to change. I have restarted, deleted preferences. Any suggestions

I don't think you can use this as an "AV output" - that would require either a direct HDMI connection or a dedicated hardware device.

You can, however, use it as second display and use Window->Show Viewers on Second Display to put the viewer on that screen, and play it in full screen if you want. Not the same if you want to prepare for broadcast, but if you are editing material for the web it is perfectly adequate.

Aug 15, 2015 8:52 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

RE: "You can, however, use it as second display and use Window->Show Viewers on Second Display to put the viewer on that screen, and play it in full screen if you want. Not the same if you want to prepare for broadcast, but if you are editing material for the web it is perfectly adequate."

This worked for me in terms of getting the viewer in FCP onto my second monitor (rMBP), but what is meant by: "Not the same if you want to prepare for broadcast, but if you are editing material for the web it is perfectly adequate."?

Does it have something to do with color interpretation - RGB (broadcast) vs CMYK (monitor)?

Aug 16, 2015 8:10 AM in response to SBookPro

SBookPro wrote:

RE: "You can, however, use it as second display and use Window->Show Viewers on Second Display to put the viewer on that screen, and play it in full screen if you want. Not the same if you want to prepare for broadcast, but if you are editing material for the web it is perfectly adequate."

This worked for me in terms of getting the viewer in FCP onto my second monitor (rMBP), but what is meant by: "Not the same if you want to prepare for broadcast, but if you are editing material for the web it is perfectly adequate."?

Does it have something to do with color interpretation - RGB (broadcast) vs CMYK (monitor)?

I know nothing about broadcast itself, but: video is never CMYK - this is a color space used for printed color.

Color on a video display is always RGB (red, green, blue).

Nov 20, 2015 8:03 AM in response to fabiofrombagnatica

Very informative thread and great responses.

I'm in a similar situation but with 3x monitors all via Thunderbolt, using 2 monitors for FCPX and a third monitor for our show tracker for the film we are working on. The challenge I'm having is controlling which monitor is the "second display" that FCPX chooses when I select "Window/Show Viewers on Second Display". If I mess around and hot patch the thunderbolt cables choosing Window/Show Viewers on Second Display" sometimes I can get FCPX to choose the "second display" I desire but it's dumb luck, can't find any rhyme or reason. Here's the 3x monitors:

MAIN - iMac 27" Mid 2011

DESIRED 2ND MONITOR - Cinema HD Display

DESIRED SHOW TRACKER MONITOR - Sharp Aquos 32" LCD via HDMI adapter

FCPX most often chooses the Sharp as the Second Display and I have the iMac as the main monitor via system preferences, so monitor one for FCPX. Anyone have the 411 on how FCPX chooses the second display when you have 3x thunderbolt monitors?

Many thanks in advance

MA

PS I saw this post but the technique puts my timeline on the left, I'm trying to get timeline on the right, viewer on left, used to it after years of editing:

Using more then 2 monitors on Final Cut Pro X

User uploaded file

Connect three monitor Final cut pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.