Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just updated to itunes 12.1.0.71 - big problem - can no longer access the legacy "Get Info" where you could change multiple files, easily add artwork, add album name for TV show, and much more. In previous iTunes 12 you'd right click

Just updated to itunes 12.1.0.71 - big problem - can no longer access the legacy "Get Info" where you could change multiple files, easily add artwork, add album name for TV show, and much more. In previous iTunes 12 you'd right click and hold shift key and be able to get to it. Anyone figured this out?

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 8:39 AM

24 replies

Feb 5, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Dave Apple 5

Good Morning, Dave Apple 5 -

The resource below will explain how the Get Info feature works in iTunes 12. If I'm looking at a list of songs, a right click or control click still brings up a contextual menu with Get Info in iTunes 12.1.

User uploaded file

Using the new iTunes - Apple Support
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203128

Get Info

To see more info about an item, select it and choose File > Get Info. Get Info has been completely redesigned in iTunes 12 to focus your attention only on what’s necessary for the selected item.

If you’d like to add a field that isn’t visible, click Add Field in the lower-left corner of the Get Info window. You can select additional fields and set fields you’d like to always show. In iTunes 12, Get Info opens on the Details tab, and information about the file can be found on the File tab.

Cheers,

- Judy

Feb 5, 2015 9:47 AM in response to Dave Apple 5

The "legacy" metadata editors, for which there was a "back door" in iTunes 12.0, have gone from 12.1. However, the revised editors in 12.1 provide access to (almost) all the metadata elements that were available in iTunes 11, albeit in a different layout and with some additional constraints based on media kind. Some users have / will have an issue with the statement that "Get Info has been completely redesigned in iTunes 12 to focus your attention only on what’s necessary for the selected item" since that removes some metadata elements that people may have been using in creative ways. iTunes 12.1 basically gives you access to the fields that Apple think are necessary ... 😟. Some of the things that have been excluded by this rule:

• track and disc number fields for video media kinds
  • show and episode fields for music
  • description tab for audiobooks made up of more than one file

Obviously the first two examples can be regarded as "overloading" the metadata elements - i.e., using them in ways that the designers didn't intend - but given that some users do find valid cases for this it's a shame that they've been deprecated in the new UI. There are couple of workarounds:

• in songs view (or any of the other columnar views), you can still select any fields to display, independent of media kind, and these can be edited (though only one at a time) by double-clicking in the relevant "cell"
  • you can (temporarily) change the media kind of an item (or group of items) to get access to metadata elements that would otherwise be inaccessible.

It may be worth submitting an issue via https://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html - I can't see it as a huge development task to have a user preference to switch between "show all fields" and "filter fields based on media kind".

One other oddity/irritation is that some of the tabs don't, by default, show all the available fields - you need to scroll up/down to access them or to expand the window by dragging on one of its corners. Fortunately, the latter seems to be persistent - once you've done this to make all the fields visible the editor will open at the same (larger) size when opened again.

Feb 11, 2015 6:12 AM in response to hhgttg27

I LOVE this info. from you. I think I saw the Add Field button the other day, but now I don't have it (since installing the newest iTunes ver. 12.1.0.71 on Windows)

I did have info. in the Columns/Fields you mentioned: Show and Episode ID, but it completely messed up my iPad Music thru Home Sharing. 😟

Enlarging the Get Info window -- LOVE it; never thought of it!

Feb 11, 2015 6:24 AM in response to BarbSmith1

Since it appears that there are no ways to access the simpler legacy "Get Info" screen, I was able to go back to iTunes 12.0.1.26 which was the last version that you were able to do this. Ultimately I would have liked to go back to iTunes 11, but the library file would have to be re-created which would be very time consuming. I would hope that Apple would consider bringing the legacy "Get Info" screen back, where it was MUCH simpler to edit files, particularly changes to multiple files at one time, adding artwork easier, and just a simpler screen to see all of the options at one time, regardless of what media type it is. The new version forces you to only view fields that Apple believes is pertinent to that media type.

Lesson learn - do not update iTunes until you read reviews and test it out on a computer that is not your main one.

Thanks

Feb 11, 2015 6:59 PM in response to Dave Apple 5

The problem I have with 12.1 Get Info is that the "Keep Media Folders Organized" feature no longer works when I change the Media Kind from "Home Video" to "TV Show". The task I'm trying to do is import a video to iTunes, then change it to a TV Show. Imported videos are initially placed in the Home Video Folder by iTunes. I can change the Media Kind from Home Video to TV Show using the new Get Info dialog, but the video stays in the Home Video folder instead of moving to the TV Show folder. I have "Keep Media Folder Organized" checked. The file was correctly moved with the previous Get Info dialog, including the legacy <shift> Get Info method in 12.0. The iTunes 12.1 Get Info no longer keeps media folders organized when changing the media kind from Home Video to TV Show.

Feb 11, 2015 7:16 PM in response to johnA529

This appears to be a bug in 12.0 (and not fixed in 12.1). Based on this thread: iTunes 12: All added video goes to "Home Videos", and cannot be moved. there may be a work around by turning "Keep Media Folders Organized" off and immediately turning it on again, though I've also seen comments that this hasn't worked for some users. Probably worth reminding Apple that there is a problem by reporting it to iTunes feedback.

Feb 11, 2015 8:48 PM in response to Dave Apple 5

Thanks, hhgttg27. I have reported the 12.1 problem to iTunes feedback. I also found the problem in 12.0, but since the legacy Get Info still worked I did not report it. Now that the legacy Get Info has been removed in 12.1, the impact of the problem becomes much greater. Seems like Apple should have been sure the new Get Info worked well before removing the legacy Get Info. Kind of disappointing behavior from the first US company worth more the $700 billion.

Feb 25, 2015 1:51 AM in response to Dave Apple 5

Its frustrating when things are changed that worked fine. Change can be good but making things worse is frustrating and over the last years it seems to be a talent of Apple's developers. Who makes those decisions? Probably someone who doesn't use iTunes very much like I do. Focussing is fine, but please Apple stop making things worse. iTunes 12 changed the way we have to organize our content, but often its harder to get to the point. New make-up is OK, but never change a running system.

Feb 26, 2015 2:34 PM in response to hhgttg27

I am having problems finding the track and disc number fields for music. In iTunes 11 and 12, I was able to set up multi-disc music like this:

User uploaded file

In iTunes 12.1 I have found no way of doing this. Is this even possible anymore? If so, how? So far the cataloging I've done in iTunes 11 and 12 has stayed the same in 12.1. I'm just not able to duplicate it.

Feb 26, 2015 6:00 PM in response to DerSiedler

"Almost" is correct. In Apple's own words, "Get Info has been completely redesigned in iTunes 12 to focus your attention only what's necessary for the selected item". Unfortunately this means that (unlike earlier releases) the metadata elements that can be edited varies by media kind - for example, there have been several threads here regarding the absence of disk/track number fields for some video types. The one that annoys me is the that Description element (which gets a whole tab to itself) is available for individual audiobook files but not for an audiobook made up of multiple files.

Just updated to itunes 12.1.0.71 - big problem - can no longer access the legacy "Get Info" where you could change multiple files, easily add artwork, add album name for TV show, and much more. In previous iTunes 12 you'd right click

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.