Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

best blu ray player to install on mac

Would like recommendation on best blu ray player to install on iMac (late 2013). Have purchased external optical bluray/dvd/cd read and write drive and am planning to buy Roxio Toast. Have looked at Macgo Mac Bluray player and Aiseesoft Mac Bluray but each has not so good reviews.

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 4:42 PM

20 replies

Feb 5, 2015 7:49 PM in response to redjamie

What you have found is really all that is out there for using Blu-Ray on a Mac.

Apple does not have any support for Blu-Ray in any Mac product.

The only real option for Blu-Ray authoring is Roxio Toast. Purchase it!

As for Blu-Ray playing software, pick one of the player apps you have found.

There are really very few options for Blu-Ray use on a Mac.

Feb 5, 2015 11:59 PM in response to redjamie

I have no experience with Blu-Ray on the Mac, but the Macgo Blu-Ray player app has been around longer and seems the more popular choice.

Both are on sale. MacWorld did a good review of the Aiseesoft Blu-Ray player app. Just decide which one has the best features you think you will use.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2084815/turn-your-mac-into-the-ultimate-blu-ray- player.html

Feb 7, 2015 2:35 AM in response to redjamie

Something you need to make sure of is that your bluray player is

compatible with the software.

Not all BD platers are created equal. Some will play back at full speed

over USB 2.0 and some will be lucky to play back at slightly faster than

DVD speeds.

I have two Samsung players. One was an internal drive that I installed in

an enclosure and one is their compact USB 2.0 external. The compact external

will not play any commercial BD without lots of stalling and buffering of data,

but the other works just fine.

Feb 19, 2015 2:24 PM in response to redjamie

I use the samsung usb to teach an intro video class and for burning. It works great. The blu-ray player options are rough. I have Mac Blu-ray Player. It's spotty sometimes and doesn't give you the ability to access the menu unless you run their beta version (it's unreliable at best). I would say it's an okay nuts and bolts player (I have the fully unlocked version and I have not upgraded to Yosemite yet). I am probably going to try the Aiseesoft one at some point, but you should note the link above is for a "sponsored article" in MacWorld. It's basically an advertisement Aiseesoft paid to look like an article.

best blu ray player to install on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.