Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sudden, incredibly loud burst of static

I have a Macbook pro 17" from 2009. Just tonight, I installed Yosemite (10.10.2 (14C109)), and it upgraded iTunes to the latest version (12.1.0.50).

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

While reading, I am listening to a playlist of ambient sounds -- birdsong, babbling brook, ocean waves -- on my bluetooth headphones (Inland ProHT 87091) when without any warning an unbelievably loud burst of white noise bursts out of my headphones. It's incredibly startling and painful.

It has happened now four times. If I pause playback for a few seconds and begin again, it goes back to normal, but I'm now scared to chance listening to anything for fear that it'll cause problems. My ears are still ringing from the last four times.

Has anyone else experienced problems like this? If so, how did you fix it? I have no idea what could be causing it other than iTunes or the headset, and I have literally used the headset daily, for hours every day, for a couple of years. Never had a problem until updating to Yosemite and updating iTunes.

Posted on Feb 5, 2015 7:56 PM

4 replies

Feb 5, 2015 11:16 PM in response to KaaSerpent

I've been playing with this for several hours. I can make it do it if I peg the memory use (not hard) and then do something like make a window go full-screen or anything that causes the bluetooth to glitch or pause. I got it to do it watching a YouTube video on full-screen, and then when I un-fullscreened, it blasted static. (So it's not just iTunes.) It appears to be the bluetooth, somehow.

Under Mavericks, this never happened. But Yosemite does it a good portion of the time. Makes the headphones absolutely unusable. 😟

Apr 30, 2015 8:40 AM in response to Stuartea71

I have an iPhone 6, and I am starting to get the shocking static sound when I hang up from a call; I'm on the phone and another caller calls m; a reminder message pops up. I am on IOS8.1.3. Will upgrade to the latest version and see if it helps. Let me know if anyone else is experiencing the same problems with the headset using the iPhone 6.

Sudden, incredibly loud burst of static

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.