Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipod touch 4th generation keeps deleting my music even after restoring it and I can't sync new songs anymore

Hello, I have an iPod touch 4th generation 8GB that I purchased brand new in January 2013. The device is currently running iOS 6.1.6.

It worked perfectly fine until today, when I tried to sync one single song on it.

While i was syncing it, I noticed that on the iPod screen, the song menu begun scrolling without me touching the display, some song titles became white (as when you're syncing a song) or disappeared leaving blank lines, until the music app crashed.

When I opened it again, it said that there where no songs in my library.

I tried copying my music on the iPod again, but it only copied one song, after that when I tried syncing more songs, iTunes kept saying "preparing synchronization" (or something similar) but nothing happened.

I tried restoring the device, and initializing it as a new iPod (without using any backups) and then I started copying my songs on it again.

But after the 15th song, the problem occurred again.

What can I do?

Is it possible that it's the case of an hardware failure? My photo library wasn't affected, and except for the music problem, my iPod is running fine, it's not even an old device and no accidents even happened to him (like falling on the ground or something like that).

Any tips?

Thank you in advance for your help!

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on Feb 11, 2015 10:43 AM

23 replies

Feb 11, 2015 12:29 PM in response to MasterGamer11

The fact is that the majority of my songs were imported from cd, and therefore the only way to have them on my device is by syncing them on iTunes.

I didn't find the option under Music, but I don't think this would work, because under Setting -> general -> usage it showed that the disk was nearly empty, while it was nearly full before that...

Thank you really much for your help anyway 😉

Feb 13, 2015 9:42 AM in response to Oceansoul221

I'm having the same problem with my 4th gen iPod touch. After the update my iPod synched and wiped all my music off - apps & podcasts weren't affected. Restored it a couple of times and that didn't work.

I tried copying a couple of albums over and it would do a couple of songs then the rest of the album would look like it had copied instantly. I tried playing the songs and it would play the first couple of songs once, then it came up with ! Beside every song (including the ones I'd just played and said they weren't on my iPod.

I've removed iTunes from my laptop and downloaded the few iTunes bought albums over WiFi to my iPod. The rest of my music is from cds or mixes/podcasts downloaded from soundcloud so I've had to use a different program to copy some of this music to my iPod for the time being until I can see how to sort this out.

Feb 13, 2015 1:02 PM in response to sheffmatt81

After many tries, I succeeded in copying back my music by creating a playlist on my computer with all the music I wanted on my iPod and then syncing the playlist to the device. Before doing that, I opened iTunes, and I manually deleted all the songs that were listed as synced with my device (my ipod tab -> on the device -> music) even if they weren't actually on it.

All the songs were copied, and after that I was able to copy single tracks one by one without adding them to the playlist before and my iPod didn't delete them again.
But I'm not sure the problem is solved, maybe it will occur again the next time I try to copy a song...

Feb 13, 2015 8:36 PM in response to Oceansoul221

I have an iPod Touch (64 GB) and I am having the same exact problem. It just hit me about two hours ago. I was trying to add some music from my PC when all of a sudden the songs vanished! In the directory, there is that little icon next to each tune (the ! inside an O) that indicates the tune is not there.

Isn't it a little strange that this is occurring at the same time?

Feb 16, 2015 6:57 PM in response to Oceansoul221

I have an iPod Touch (64 GB) and I am having the same exact problem. It just hit me about two hours ago. I was trying to add some music from my PC when all of a sudden the songs vanished! In the directory, there is that little icon next to each tune (the ! inside an O) that indicates the tune is not there.

Isn't it a little strange that this is occurring

Feb 16, 2015 7:00 PM in response to 50GreenDodge

Hey kids, good news!

I took my iPod to the local Apple store this afternoon and one of their guys fixed my problem - at least so far.

Dig it! What the big news to me is is that the problem of iPods deleting files all over the country (world?) was Apple's fault. The dude who fixed me up said there was some glitch in one of the updates that capitalized on a problem with my file set and its answer was "Delete All!!" So I guess that is a known issue to them so take your machines in and have them lay on the hands and get you going.

Mar 3, 2015 9:26 AM in response to sheffmatt81

I went to the store the other day, and when I talked to the technician about the problem he answered that he has never heard of that before, and then he said that it was probably my computer's fault and so on... and I should reset it or bring it to a technician...

Then I told him that I read it was iTunes' fault and so he said that if many other users have reported that Apple probably already knows it and they will fix it, but I'm still waiting for a solution from iTunes updates 😟

My ipod touch 4th generation keeps deleting my music even after restoring it and I can't sync new songs anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.