Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't install multi-lingual voices

Trying to DL additional voices for a MB Air, Mountain Lion. It starts the download and after a few seconds show the following error message:

The update "Multilingual-Voices can not be installed. An unexpected error occured

I've tried with at least ten different voices and it's got the same lack of result each time.

Please advise.

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 12, 2015 1:34 AM

25 replies

Feb 14, 2015 10:05 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I am having the same problem. These are voices from System Preferences>Text to Speech. Choose "customize" at the bottom of the System Voice drop down menu and it gives you a list of voices to choose from. I've been able to download 2 voices over the period of a week after trying multiple times. Almost every time it starts the download process and then I get a message ""Multilingual-Voices can not be installed. An unexpected error occurred." I'm running OS 10.8.5 on a late 2008 Macbook Pro with about 260 GB of free space on my hd.

I wonder if there is a way to manually download the voices ...

thanks for any help you can give!

Mar 6, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Pellepennan

I have the same problem. I'm running OS 10.8.5 on an early 2011 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM and 500GB HD, with about 30% of the HD available. Any clues as to why I get the message: "Unexpected error, cannot download voices" (or something that message) would be appreciated. I want to be able to have TextEdit read back to me in Spanish. It seems to download abut 10% of a file, and then it stops and presents me with that error message.

Mar 16, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Thanks for your question. But it sounds like you are assuming I'm trying to add voices from non-apple sites. I'm not. I'm just following the links from the system preferences panel.

In that panel, there are choices of other language voices to add. One of them is Spanish (mexico). But when I attenpt to add that language (from the system preferences panel) I get the message that I referenced in my earlier post (which seems to be the same message that others on this thread are getting).

So, do you have any suggestions for getting the system preferences panel to actually load the voices that it implies are available? I'm grateful for any help or suggestions you might be able to provide!

Mar 16, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Lew Harriman

There are a few resources for you to research:

1 - Apple KB Article: How to enable and use different language Input Sources.

2 - Multilingual Macwhich is a User Tip-blog written by a valuable contributor/member of ASC, Tom Gewecke.

3 -How to Set Up & Use Multiple Language Input Options on Your Computer. Click on Macintosh Users link and/or scroll down to the Macintosh Users section.

Hopefully one of the above solves your problem.

User uploaded file

Mar 16, 2015 11:51 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Baby Boomer, I appreciate your efforts… but none of those links addresses the problem.

There appears to simply be a bug in this version of the OS (10.8.5).

Here's a screenshot of the end point of the problem:

User uploaded file

The links you posted clearly say that this process should work. But it doens't.

When I attempt to add voices via the "customize" drop-down box in the system preferences panel (Dictation and Speech), after I select Spanish voice (Javier/Mexico), the system allows me to accept the licensing agreement from Apple, then the system attempts to download the voice.

However, the voice file download flames out at about 10% of the download, then nforming me via the notice in the screenshot above that "The update "Multi-Lingual Voices" can't be installed. An unexpected error occurred"

So if anybody has a fix for this bug, I'd certainly appreciate any help they can provide.

Mar 16, 2015 5:41 PM in response to Pellepennan

I finally got Sin-Ji to download in 10,8,5, but not sure what if anything I did if anything to make it happen, so here is what I can remember doing...

Started Sin-Ji, changed KB language to Spanish ISO so I could try Diego, fiddled with Speech over On/OFF, tried canceling Sin-Ji & it didn't work, closed Sys Prefs, & it eventually finished Sin-Ji & Installed it!?

No more will D/L now as I haven't restarted yet as it says I have to, & Customize no longer show in Text to Speech.

If I were to guess, maybe try 2 at once & only the last one errors out, like they're counting down to one instead of zero. 🙂

can't install multi-lingual voices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.