Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change x-axis min/max of Column chart in Numbers?

I need to get a zoomed picture of a specific part of the graph so my question is How to change x-axis min/max of Column chart in Numbers to specify what part you need ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 1:13 PM

13 replies

Mar 7, 2015 12:00 AM in response to chris from hillsdale

Hi Chris,

What type of graph are you creating? In a Category Chart (everything except a Scatter Plot) the X values are fixed categories.

Perhaps you want a Scatter Plot? If so, X and Y must be in Body Columns or Body Rows (X and Y are both variables).

Please reply with a screen shot of a small part of your screen (command shift 4 and drag). Full screen shots (command shift 3) are often difficult to read.

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip on how to post a screen shot.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6591

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 7, 2015 8:27 PM in response to Yellowbox

YellowBox 🙂

so what I want to do is (I already controlled the range of the Y axis.) that i want to restrict the graph to a specific part for example I want to see from 3 to 4 hours, How do I do that ?

User uploaded file

when I press on Value(Y) the scale control the Y axis range.

Also the steps are the ones parallel to the X-axis and there is none for the other orientation.

and can't access the minor steps !

User uploaded file

when I press on the Category(X) this is what appears

Mar 7, 2015 8:59 PM in response to chris from hillsdale

this doesn't work for the x-Axis ! Look for the previous post i posted for more explanation with screen shots !

Changing the scale on both x and y axis seems to be working here, and also for Ian.

One thought. If you're trying to change the scale on the x-axis, then shouldn't you be creating an x-y Scatter chart? It probably doesn't make much sense to try to change the scale on a category (Line and Column charts are category charts). To get an x-y Scatter chart you need to make sure you are not trying to plot a column that is defined as a Header Column.... and of course choose the Scatter chart type instead of Column or Line:

User uploaded file

If you need a Column or Line chart instead of an x-y Scatter, and you want to exclude some data as being "out of range", then I think you could simply exclude it when you select the cells in the table before creating the chart.

SG

Mar 7, 2015 8:59 PM in response to chris from hillsdale

Hi Chris,

That is a Category graph (2-D Line).

A Scatter Plot will allow you to change the Scale and Steps on the X axis.

User uploaded file

Click on the Chart (Graph) and Format Panel > Axis

User uploaded file

To get a Connection Line or a Trendline on the Scatter Plot, Format Panel > Series

User uploaded file

For a Scatter Plot, put your X and Y data in Header Columns (or Header Rows).

Regards,

Ian.

P.S. I see that SG has found the solution 🙂. Ian.

How to change x-axis min/max of Column chart in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.