Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand creating blank space after song.

Help. GarageBand places a 4 second (approximate) blank section after a song using "Export Song to Disk" with the "Export cycle area length only, or length of selected regions" checked. I also have checked the "Move automation with regions function" (found under the Mix menu).

When I Export the song, I can see the region area expand out automatically about 4 additional seconds, and then it pops back to the original song length automatically after the song is saved.

GarageBand (version 10.0.3, Build Version 3452.24)

OS X Version 10.9.5

GarageBand 10, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 15, 2015 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2017 3:40 AM

Just updating this year old thread.

I also experience the same issue, GB exports a full minute after the project end determined by that hidden triangle.

GB version is 10.1.4 running on Sierra.

Selecting all the tracks and using that options "export selected area/cycle" is the only way to avoid exporting an extra minute of silence.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 1, 2017 3:40 AM in response to JD321

Just updating this year old thread.

I also experience the same issue, GB exports a full minute after the project end determined by that hidden triangle.

GB version is 10.1.4 running on Sierra.

Selecting all the tracks and using that options "export selected area/cycle" is the only way to avoid exporting an extra minute of silence.

Feb 15, 2015 7:54 AM in response to JD321

Here is the screen shot before I export the song:User uploaded file

I'm trying to save just the region under the yellow loop bar. Unfortunately, Garageband is including an additional 4 seconds of silence after the song. Here is a screenshot of my export dialogue:

User uploaded file

When I click the "Export" button, the playhead automatically jumps to the right, as seen in the following photo, and additional audio silence is added to the end of the saved song region:

User uploaded file

Feb 15, 2015 2:03 PM in response to JD321

I haven't worked too much with garage band 11 yet, but at first glance it seems to have the same solution as the few previous versions since this completely useless new "feature" was added. In the timeline along the top (where the playhead triangle is located at the top of the red line position marker) there is another triangle cleverly hidden waaaay off to the right. That is the marker for the end of the song. You can reposition it to the true end you want to force the song to stop rather then letting the software guess for you where IT thinks is best.

Feb 15, 2015 2:30 PM in response to Brian Maiden

Brian Maiden wrote:

I haven't worked too much with garage band 11 yet, but at first glance it seems to have the same solution as the few previous versions since this completely useless new "feature" was added. In the timeline along the top (where the playhead triangle is located at the top of the red line position marker) there is another triangle cleverly hidden waaaay off to the right. That is the marker for the end of the song. You can reposition it to the true end you want to force the song to stop rather then letting the software guess for you where IT thinks is best.

Thank you very much for trying to help, but if I understand you correctly, I have already tried what you suggest. Looking at the screen shot of my song before saving (see below), one can see I have moved the triangle (that you are referring to) all the way up to the end of the yellow looped-region:

User uploaded file

When the program goes through it's routine of exporting the song (converting it to MP3), the triangle, quite inexplicably, bounces a few measures to the right (thereby increasing the duration of the song being saved), and then bounces back to its original position after the song is saved.😮

Feb 17, 2015 10:06 PM in response to JD321

Upon further research, I came across the following thread, which recommends the exact same solution that Brian Maiden recommended earlier in this thread; namely, to move the 'triangle' in to the desired region length to be saved:

Extra silence at the end of song

As explained above, this function is not working properly on my .

Does Apple monitor these forums, particularly in order to investigate potential bugs residing in their software?

Feb 17, 2015 10:17 PM in response to JD321

JD321 wrote:

Here is the screen shot before I export the song:User uploaded file

I'm trying to save just the region under the yellow loop bar. Unfortunately, Garageband is including an additional 4 seconds of silence after the song. Here is a screenshot of my export dialogue:

User uploaded file

When I click the "Export" button, the playhead automatically jumps to the right, as seen in the following photo, and additional audio silence is added to the end of the saved song region:

User uploaded file

"When I click the "Export" button, the playhead automatically jumps to the right,..."

To be quite explicit in explaining the problem at hand, the 'triangle', i.e., the 'End of Project Marker' is what first jumps over to the right (automatically, without my telling it to do so), and then then as the song-saving process ensues, with the conversion to MP3, the 'Playhead triangle' moves from left-to-right, over to the new (and unwanted) location of the temporarily relocated 'End of Project Marker'. After the export process is complete, the 'End of Project Marker' jumps back to the left, where I placed it, directly at the end of the yellow looped region.

GarageBand creating blank space after song.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.