Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't make Dictation work. The mic is "hearing" me, but no text.

I'm trying it with TextEdit.

Nothing happens. And when done, do I hit Fn once, or twice?

Also, shouldn't there be an indicator in the top toolbar that it's working?

Posted on Feb 18, 2015 6:29 AM

10 replies

Feb 18, 2015 1:11 PM in response to jryberg

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try to dictate in TextEdit. Select any messages that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Feb 19, 2015 2:10 PM in response to jryberg

Linc,

Here are the first 4 lines that came up after I hit "Clear display":

2/19/15 4:08:32.495 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.support.com.Nexussrvd[74692]) Service could not initialize: 14C109: xpcproxy + 14045 [1344][63706214-56DC-3155-B46F-D4F21C9B1C0B]: 0x2

2/19/15 4:08:32.495 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.support.com.Nexussrvd) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

2/19/15 4:08:42.511 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.support.com.Nexussrvd[74693]) Service could not initialize: 14C109: xpcproxy + 14045 [1344][63706214-56DC-3155-B46F-D4F21C9B1C0B]: 0x2

2/19/15 4:08:42.511 PM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.support.com.Nexussrvd) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 10 seconds.

Still not getting text.

Jerry

Feb 19, 2015 7:05 PM in response to jryberg

I don't know whether it's causing the problem with Dictation, but the "Nexus" software that you installed is crashing every ten seconds and bogging down the whole system. You should either remove it or refer to the developer for support.

Any third-party software that doesn't install by drag-and-drop into the Applications folder, and uninstall by drag-and-drop to the Trash, is a system modification.

Whenever you remove system modifications, they must be removed completely, and the only way to do that is to use the uninstallation tool, if any, provided by the developers, or to follow their instructions. If the software has been incompletely removed, you may have to re-download or even reinstall it in order to finish the job.

I never install system modifications myself, and except as stated in this comment, I don't know how to uninstall them. You'll have to do your own research to find that information.

Here are some general guidelines to get you started. Suppose you want to remove something called “BrickMyMac” (a hypothetical example.) First, consult the product's Help menu, if there is one, for instructions. Finding none there, look on the developer's website, say www.brickmymac.com. (That may not be the actual name of the site; if necessary, search the Web for the product name.) If you don’t find anything on the website or in your search, contact the developer. While you're waiting for a response, download BrickMyMac.dmg and open it. There may be an application in there such as “Uninstall BrickMyMac.” If not, open “BrickMyMac.pkg” and look for an Uninstall button. The uninstaller might also be accessed by clicking the Customize button, if there is one.

Back up all data before making any changes.

You will generally have to restart the computer in order to complete an uninstallation. Until you do that, there may be no effect, or unpredictable effects.

If you can’t remove software in any other way, you’ll have to erase and install OS X. Never install any third-party software unless you're sure you know how to uninstall it; otherwise you may create problems that are very hard to solve.

Trying to remove complex system modifications by hunting for files by name often will not work and may make the problem worse. The same goes for "utilities" such as "AppCleaner" and the like that purport to remove software.

Feb 19, 2015 7:29 PM in response to Linc Davis

Linc, I've never heard of Nexus, that I can recall.

Searching "Nexus" in Spotlight brought me a "elemhide.css" window, with a HUGE file, of which this is a tiny part. It seems to have something to do with AdBlockPlus:

Jerry

@-moz-document url-prefix("http://"),url-prefix("https://"),url-prefix("mailbox://"),url-prefix("imap://"),url-prefix("news://"),url-pref ix("snews://"){

#A9AdsMiddleBoxTop{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?745015724043#dummy) !important;}

#A9AdsOutOfStockWidgetTop{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?743166477841#dummy) !important;}

#A9AdsServicesWidgetTop{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?614202459600#dummy) !important;}

#AD-300x250{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?997931382428#dummy) !important;}

#AD-HOME-LEFT{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?690297721284#dummy) !important;}

#AD1line{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?445180030033#dummy) !important;}

#AD2line{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?221917608892#dummy) !important;}

#AD300_VAN{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?628741563104#dummy) !important;}

#AD300x250{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?826503396471#dummy) !important;}

#AD300x600{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?023521836850#dummy) !important;}

#ADEXPERT_PUSHDOWN{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?813993298775#dummy) !important;}

#ADEXPERT_RECTANGLE{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?062475443615#dummy) !important;}

#ADInterest{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?577480576040#dummy) !important;}

#ADNETwallBanner1{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?365722598012#dummy) !important;}

#ADNETwallBanner2{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?209029188442#dummy) !important;}

#ADSLOT_1{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?841643541344#dummy) !important;}

#ADSLOT_2{-moz-binding: url(about:abp-elemhidehit?830465607377#dummy) !important;}

Feb 19, 2015 9:12 PM in response to jryberg

As I wrote in my last comment, you can't remove software by searching for files. If you don't know what software is installed, you should erase the startup volume and start over with nothing but a clean installation of OS X and your documents.

Back up all data to at least two different storage devices, if you haven't already done so. One backup is not enough to be safe. The backups can be made with Time Machine or with Disk Utility. Preferably both.

Erase and install OS X. This operation will destroy all data on the startup volume, so you had be better be sure of the backups. If you upgraded from an older version of OS X, you'll need the Apple ID and password that you used, so make a note of those before you begin.

When you restart, you'll be prompted to go through the initial setup process in Setup Assistant. That’s when you transfer the data from a backup.

Select only users and Computer & Network Settings in the Setup Assistant dialog—not Applications or Other files and folders. Don't transfer the Guest account, if it was enabled.

After that, check the App Store for software updates.

If the problem is resolved after the clean installation, reinstall third-party software selectively. I can only suggest general guidelines. Self-contained applications that install into the Applications folder by drag-and-drop or download from the App Store are usually safe. Anything that comes packaged as an installer or that prompts for an administrator password is suspect, and you must test thoroughly after reinstalling each such item to make sure you haven't restored the problem.

I strongly recommend that you never reinstall commercial "security" products or "utilities," nor any software that changes the user interface or the behavior of built-in applications such as Safari. If you do that, the problem is likely to recur.

Any system modifications that you do choose to install must be kept up to date. None is required for normal operation.

Before installing any software, ask yourself the question: "Am I sure I know how to uninstall this without having to wipe the volume again?" If the answer is "no," stop.

Never install any third-party software unless you know how to uninstall it.

I can't make Dictation work. The mic is "hearing" me, but no text.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.