Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Long Should an iPad2 Last in Sleep Mode please?

Hi All,

Due to physical damage I bought a replacement (refurbished) iPad2 from the Apple Store in London. It has the same iOS (8.1.3) as previous iPad and I restored all files, settings and apps from iTunes so the new iPad was therefore identical to the one it replaced. However, it looks like there are battery issues so wanted to ask for advice please.

SLEEP MODE

My previous iPad lasted for weeks in sleep mode (EG it still had 25% after being left at home for 14 days) The replacement iPad was lasting less than 1 day in sleep mode with no use. Overnight (7h) it is losing at least 25-30%. This with all the same iOS, settings, Apps, Charger etc as the previous iPad.

To try and improve this I performed the following actions:

Closed all apps (double click sweep off the screen)

Disabled iCloud keychain

Disabled background app refresh

Disabled location services

Set Allow Notifications to OFF

Disabled auto-brightness and set it to low

Airplane mode to disable WiFi and Mobile data

I then performed a hard reset / switch off and gave it a full uninterrupted charge using iPad charger for 12+ hours.I turned on iPad at 2pm disconnected charger (100%) and put it into sleep mode with the sleep button. The battery lasted until 3:45pm the next day (25.75 hours)

According to the original specs:

Apple claimed

Standby: Up to 720h

Usage: Up to 10hr (I am yet to test the in-use performance of my replacement iPad - working on that tomorrow)

I appreciate that iOS8 is heavier on battery use but I didn't notice a significant difference on the original iPad when I updated it and with my normal usage pattern I was charging the old one about once a week. This new iPad needs charging daily and is being outlasted by my iPhone 4S (also on iOS8).

Please can anyone advise on what they are getting on an iPad2 with 8.1.3 so I can compare and let me know what I should do next?

Thanks,

Ian

Posted on Feb 23, 2015 6:13 AM

19 replies

Feb 23, 2015 7:04 AM in response to boggie123

Using the battery level meter in this manner is comparable to using your car's fuel gauge to calculate miles per gallon. The only thing that matters is the total amount of operating time from full charge to auto-shutdown.

Use the wall-mount charger that came with the iPad and charge overnight. Do NOT use an iPod/iPhone charger. Do NOT use a computer's USB port. Then, operate it normally until auto shut-down (ignore any low level alerts that may appear). An irony is that doing that test to determine the total operating time is also the procedure necessary to calibrate the battery level meter.

I'm not claiming that you do not have a problem. I am stating, however, that we don't yet know. If the above test does, in fact, indicate a problem, read this.

Also, according to Apple:

Use Your iPad Regularly

For proper reporting of the battery’s state of charge, be sure to go through at least one charge cycle per month (charging the battery to 100% and then completely running it down).

Elsewhere, Apple elaborates and explains that two half-discharges (or four quarter-discharges, etc.) equals one full discharge.

Feb 23, 2015 7:08 AM in response to boggie123

All apple refurbished iPads should come with a brand new battery so i would expect it should be doing better than 1 day although maybe not the 720H that apple suggest!! If you feel there is a significant difference and suspect its a defect return to the apple store all refurb products have 1 year warranty. They should be able to offer suggestions or fix/replace free under warranty.

Feb 23, 2015 7:39 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Thanks for the replies.

Philly: Of course, I was aware of that. My tests were from fully charged (using the Apple supplied iPad charger) to the iPad auto-shutdown. Please note the following paragraph:

I then performed a hard reset / switch off and gave it a full uninterrupted charge using iPad charger for 12+ hours.I turned on iPad at 2pm disconnected charger (100%) and put it into sleep mode with the sleep button. The battery lasted until 3:45pm the next day (25.75 hours)

When I checked at 3:45pm ,the iPad had shut down and would not restart, 25.75 hours after it was fully charged. To be fair to Apple the power meter was pretty much spot-on: It was at 1% the last time I checked so must have shut down a few minutes later. And yes, I did also perform the battery calibration procedure, twice. Currently, after 23h from another full charge (again using the Apple supplied iPad charger) the battery power meter is reading 9% and I am now lifting the cover briefly each hour (as I don't want to wast the battery) to see it it has shut-down yet.

JAH: Apple only gave me a 90 day warranty (I just checked), perhaps it is a UK thing. I am not one of those who moan about battery life on Apple mobile products in general, I am a pragmatist and know that battery technology is not keeping pace with the demands of technology so keep a juice-pack in my briefcase for those occasions where the iPhone will not last the day. However, an iPad should be able to outlast 1 day on sleep mode soI am with you that there appears to be an issue with this battery. I used to charge the old on once a week or less. Looks like another visit to Regents Street...

Watch this space!

Feb 23, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Oh I see. So what you are saying is that it is not unusual for an iPad to last only 24 hours in sleep mode from fully charged to completely depleted? Got it, thanks!

Is this something other users have found too? In my ignorance I had assumed that as the refurbished iPad is only lasting 1 day in sleep (compared to the old iPad lasting between 14 and 21 days) that the operating time would be similarly affected. I did plan to test operational time but I am just waiting for the iPad to die again (currently at 25h sleeping and 6%) then onto the next test to fully charge (using the Apple supplied iPad charger) and start playing video to see how long it lasts. In theory it should only last about 30 minutes by my perhaps misguided calculation of 10 (hrs on the old iPad) x 60 (to get minutes) and divide by 21 (the differential between sleep mode, old to new).

Assuming I get 10 hours operational use it is still going to be a pain having to charge the iPad every day and would point to another issue in that the sleep-mode is pulling half the juice of full-blown video playback.

I will let you know tomorrow....

Thanks again!

Feb 23, 2015 8:37 AM in response to Philly_Phan

I bought the refurbished replacement from the Apple Flagship Store in Regents Street, London. They told me there that refurbished iPads only get 90 days warranty and when I booked a Genius Bar service slot earlier (to look at the battery issue) they confirmed that I only get 90 days. Maybe that is all we get in the UK compared to a whole year in the US??

My concern here (hence all the questions / tests) is that I might end up with an iPad that only lasts a day at most after spending lots of money replacing a perfectly good iPad that would last around three weeks. The only reason I replaced it was that some inconsiderate kid knocked it out of my hand as I was reading on the train damagingthe case backnear the home button, causing it to need a hard push to work. I was in two minds as I could still use it but decided to get it replaced after all.

Let's hope that Apple can sort the battery issue for me or I am going to seriously regret that decision...

Thanks

Feb 23, 2015 8:43 AM in response to boggie123

Sounds like the 90-day warranty is correct. I had incorrectly believed that a full year was world-wide.

Even though the "sleep" time is not a 100% valid check of the battery, it does not sound good at all and, if I were you, I'd be upset. It's unfortunate that you didn't realize this during the first 90 days. If the Apple Store is reasonably convenient, you might consider going back and asking for a manager. He/she just might have some latitude. If you decide to do that, test the iPad to determine actual operating time.

Feb 23, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Philly_Phan

Fortunately I am still in the 90 day period. I am just trying to get all my evidence together before Wednesday's appointment so I am fully prepared for any persuasive push-back. I say this because whilst I was waiting for my appointment (delayed by an hour) I saw three people with battery issues being persuaded that it was their fault and being sent away to test some more. Now it might have been that this was indeed the case but it appeared to be the default position of the Apple staff that users were to blame for battery issues. As a trip to the Genius Bar often take a big chunk of the day I wanted to have all the tests / answers ahead of my visit as I cant keep going back.

Many thanks!

How Long Should an iPad2 Last in Sleep Mode please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.