Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Weird scratch-like spots showing on up on my screen, not sure how

Hey everyone, about a month ago I started to notice these little scratch-like spots along the edge of my display, but I'm not sure what they are. I baby my laptop and have never dropped nor has it ever aggressively hit anything, so I don't think it would be a crack. The things do not have texture either, like, they almost look like a discoloration of some kind. I thought maybe its the magnets but that doesn't make sense. I don't know, this is my 3rd macbook pro but my first retina and this issue has never happened on any of them. Like, every time I open the display I notice more of them and its really starting to bug me because I can't tell if its physical damage or not. It doesn't make sense for it to be physical but at the same time I don't see what could be happening otherwise. Any thoughts?

Pic is of the spots in one of the corners

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Higher end model with 2 gig 750M

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2015 12:55 PM

bump

9 replies

Mar 1, 2015 11:54 AM in response to Foghorn755

Given the reports on the thread, it doesn't appear promising. My understanding is only about 10% of the coating actually applied correctly. The rest seems removable with water an using apples micro-fibre cloth. You can likely slow the effect by using the cloth dry and not putting any pressure on the screen. If you shut the lid; using a something like: Radtech screensavrz. Ultimately it appears to be a manufacturing issue.

The best thing to do would be to either call Apple or take it to a store/authorized repair center to get looked at. Repairs are decided on a case by case basis.

Mar 17, 2015 4:43 AM in response to Rick Blythin

The only problem is that even if a screen is replaced. It's only going to happen again some time in the future. They really need to do a recall on these, as they will only be replacing it with the same type of screen which will then have the same issue. Very disappointing considering the price of these computers. I've recently got mine and am taking every precaution to prevent this from happening, something that I did not expect from Apple. From what I have read this is only a retina screen problem and never has been a problem with models before the retina display. Are they continuing to use these screens year after year? So all the new models will have the same problem.

Mar 19, 2015 12:10 AM in response to rwcook9

rwcook9,

A few people have reported using several methods to remove the coating fully. All but around 10% of it was easy to remove, the remainder would not come off (which is how it should be). Which indicates something is amiss with the application process.

The response you had does not surprise me. Being out of warranty doesn't help, but in general Apple seem reluctant to acknowledge anything. With the amount of reports on the forum they are likely aware to some degree. Unless Apple does a recall, users will likely have to pay out of pocket for a replacement screen. I would monitor the other thread linked in my first reply.

Weird scratch-like spots showing on up on my screen, not sure how

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.