Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Push not working for yahoo email

My yahoo (BT) email has suddenly stopped pushing the emails through automatically. It has stopped working on iPhone 6, iPad air, plus my husband's iPhone 6 and iPad 3. All running 8.1.3. I have spoken to BT, who say the problem isn't theirs as I can send and receive emails, plus their devices are working. The problem is happening on two different email accounts (mine and my husband's).

I have tried deleting the accounts on both the phone and iPad and reinstalling them, but still no joy. If I go into mail settings and into the fetch data and switch from push to fetch, then back again, it works for that one time, but then stops. Both of us only have yahoo mail set up and no iCloud email account, so can't check if the problem is just yahoo or push issue. Have run out of options as the issue isn't specific to one particular device.

Any help would be nice. Thanks.

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 3:29 AM

24 replies

Oct 4, 2017 6:58 PM in response to The Blues

I too have been having problems with Yahoo mail on my MacBook Pro since installing High Sierra. I have no problems with the Yahoo account on my iPhone and iPad. The Yahoo account is not allowing me to delet e-mails, it is recording 5 to 6 copies of e-mails that I'm composing and putting them in the Drafts folder. A little while ago it dleted all the folders in the email accounts, but has since restored them.

Oct 21, 2017 12:03 AM in response to BPHart

Thanks for suggestion, but it did not work for me. I have an iphone 4S using ios 8.3. Yahoo mail worked for me until 3 days ago. deleted and re-entered my yahoo account before I saw this. no luck. Followed your instructions; they indicate there are port and authentication fields to enter. Not the case for me. and it would not establish an ssl connection. Still would not connect to the server. Any other suggestions?

Feb 27, 2015 4:20 AM in response to Ian98777

Both mine and my husband's email stopped automatically pushing emails yesterday afternoon, despite neither of us changing settings. Our accounts are apparently still on Yahoo servers. I spent ages on the phone with BT Tech (UK based) this morning, to no avail. All they could tell me was that their test iPad and iPhone was working OK, so the problem can't be at their end and to take my device to Apple. I have tried various things, but to no avail. My iCloud is set to push for contacts (no iCloud email), so I did a test on that and that worked fine, so can't be push on phone. Plus if I toggle push off and on for yahoo email, it works once, but then stops! I have even set up one device to receive email through yahoo settings and the other as a manual add account with the BTinternet settings, but still no difference. Hopefully BT will realise that now more than just me and my husband are having this issue, then maybe the problem is at their end. Very frustrated now...

Mar 2, 2015 6:06 PM in response to The Blues

Having the exact same problem. Yahoo e-mail just stopped coming to ipad with no other changes made to any settings. Says it "updates" but no new email in the inbox. Curisous, when checking settings, under "fetch" there is a grayed out, not blue, check mark on the inbox for this account. Also curisous is that the mail is still updating just fine on the Mac book. Looking for some help out there. Any ideas anyone?

Mar 3, 2015 1:39 AM in response to DP sails

Mine has now mysteriously started working, so I believe the issue is with Yahoo (despite their denials to the contrary). Do you use the old Yahoo way of setting up your email (i.e. clicking on Yahoo link), or have you set it up the new BT way by clicking on add account, the other, then add mail account and put in your email details, as this may make the difference?

Mar 27, 2015 6:15 PM in response to The Blues

I had this same issue. I was only able to resolve it by adding the yahoo account manually under OTHER rather than as a yahoo account.

When you go to add account, hit OTHER

when you get to the page where you will setup the email, you need this info:

Name: Your Name

Email: Your email

Description: Yahoo

INCOMING

host name: imap.mail.yahoo.com

user name: your email

password: your password

OUTGOING

host name: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

if it asks for user name and password here again, once again its your email and password.

should work

Mar 28, 2015 5:09 AM in response to SeanFL510

Just done all this to no avail. Verification has failed and the same error message for both incoming and outgoing mail servers is being displayed: 'Cannot get Mail - the mails server imap/smtp etc is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in mail settings'. Which I have, twice with no positive results. I am using 6.1.6 on an old 3gs iPhone. which has worked fine up to now. Had the same problem on my first generation iPad, which I fixed through manual inputting a few days ago, until the whole thing crashed yesterday and I am now trying to restore! And Yes it is a Yahoo Mail account!!

Push not working for yahoo email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.