Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a new iMac this week but am struggling with the WiFi as it intermittently drops. I have an HP notebook in the same room without any problems. It keeps on "looking for networks" it then connects and drops and starts again.

I am connected to the internet but it keeps on dropping all the time, same with my email accounts. Other hardware is running well without any issues. I have gone through the Wi_Fi faultfinding tree but still the same. I have also spoken to a Apple sales consultant in the store that suggested the software be reloaded which could be the case but I doubt. Any ideas?????

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), none

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 1:09 AM

3 replies

Feb 28, 2015 7:08 AM in response to johanfromjohannesburg

When Yosemite first shipped a lot of people where having WiFi connection problems and both the 10.10.1 and 10.10.2 updates targeted that issue. The situation is improving but not totally fixed yet. If your router isn’t an Apple Base Station definitely go online and see if there are any firmware updates for it. That did solve my problem when I got my new iMac. You might also benefit from changing the channel your router is using. Remember, if you bought the computer directly from Apple, you have 14 days to return it.

I bought a new iMac this week but am struggling with the WiFi as it intermittently drops. I have an HP notebook in the same room without any problems. It keeps on "looking for networks" it then connects and drops and starts again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.