Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Very confused about conditional cell preserve options

I have set a conditional option in cells so I can leave a cell in "white out" (if you will) if the previous cell is the same value. That works really cool. Now I sort on a different column and move a row up or down, the row number item in the condition stays the same and the results are rows that have the correct value but the conditional row number stays the same. Example:

row 5 has conditional row number 4 and row 6 has condition row 5 and so on. If I sort a column and move row 10 up to row 6, row 4 contains 5, 5 has 6, but row 6 has 10. I would like to have the conditional value follow the rows as they move. Like have row 10 moved to row 6 and have the conditional value change from 10 to 6.

I hope I'm doing a good job explaining this. If not, ask me questions and I will try to explain further.

Thank you in advance.

Doc

Posted on Feb 28, 2015 5:24 AM

5 replies

Feb 28, 2015 6:27 AM in response to DocPaul085

Doc,

I suggest you provide the big picture of what you are trying to do rather than small portions of the solution you have implemented. Often when you know you are going to sort a table that leads us to suggest methods that are sort-safe. When you you absolute cell references this can often lead to trouble when you sort.

Tell us what you want to do and omit the "how". Screen shots of what you have as input and the outputs can be extremely helpful

Feb 28, 2015 8:17 AM in response to DocPaul085

Hi Doc,

DocPaul085 wrote:

Thanks wayne. I'm not sure how to attach the actual program to a post. Let me know how.

Doc

Please reply with a screen shot of a small part of your screen (command shift 4 and drag). Full screen shots (command shift 3) are often difficult to read.

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip on how to post a screen shot.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6591

Regards,

Ian.

Very confused about conditional cell preserve options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.