Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbeats not charging

I have used my Powerbeats for 4 weeks now without any problem. Now they do not work anymore. Switching them on does not work. When I try to charge them, the only reaction I get is the light blinking red several times and then doing nothing again. Can anyone help me here?

MacBook Air, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2017 9:07 AM

I am now on my second pair of wireless powerbeats3 and have now had this problem on both pairs. The headphones become entirely unusable because they simply will not maintain a charge. They work for 4-6 weeks and then something about the charging mechanism breaks.

Even if your new pair works, I would not trust it. Seems to be defect in the product itself.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2017 9:07 AM in response to arnoale

I am now on my second pair of wireless powerbeats3 and have now had this problem on both pairs. The headphones become entirely unusable because they simply will not maintain a charge. They work for 4-6 weeks and then something about the charging mechanism breaks.

Even if your new pair works, I would not trust it. Seems to be defect in the product itself.

Feb 17, 2017 6:30 AM in response to Ice Studios

Hi,

Thanks for this response. So, in both cases (both pair of headphones) I can say the following.

1. I only ever used the USB cable provided by Beats (Apple) - and only plugged into my 2011 macbook pro USB port.

2. I have tried rebooting the device, and I have the latest firmware (the updater says software is up to date)

In both cases, the device simply stopped charging after 4-6 weeks of regular usage. The red light comes on and pulses like it's charging, but it stays at 0%. This happens no matter if I reboot the device or not. I have tried both USB ports in my Mac and I've confirmed both USB ports are working just fine.

Any other thoughts?

Mar 29, 2017 9:19 PM in response to timshutes

Same situation here. I'm getting really tired of this Powerbeats3 thing. This is the second time in 3 weeks that I have this problem with two different devices; once the battery goes completely off, they just don't charge anymore. They can't even be reset!

So disappointed with Apple after many years of being a true fan and supporter...

Please, if you come across a solution, let us know!

Feb 16, 2017 9:30 AM in response to arnoale

Hello!

I understand it must be very inconvenient, not being able to use your expensive earphones. 😢

I would suggest that you attempt rebooting the earphones. My sister's Beats Solo 3's had a similar issue, and a simple reboot solved the issue. Remember: All wireless Beats products run software internally, therefor software bugs are not unreasonably. I would suggest that, if you successfully reboot the device, that you then update the firmware of your earphones if possible. The step-by-step process can be found here: https://www.beatsbydre.com/support/how-to/firmware-updates-beats-updater

If this does not solve your issue, I would like to ask a question to help identify the likely origin of the problem. Have you used any third party chargers? Any chargers that were of questionable quality? The issue could be related to an erratic power supply jolting your earphones with excess power, damaging the electronics. If this is the case, I am afraid it is unlikely that Apple will repair your earphones. Within the US Apple 1 Year guidelines, Apple states the following: "This warranty excludes normal depletion of consumable parts such as batteries unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship and, damage resulting from abuse, accident, modifications, unauthorized repairs or other causes that are not defects in materials and workmanship." The document can be found here: http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/accessory-warranty-english.html

I hope that my answer helped you find a solution, or, at the very least, put you on the right track.

Best of luck! 😝

- Ice Studios

Apr 1, 2017 9:12 AM in response to Miguel F. Lancha

I bought a pair and had the same problem.

Rather than go through the hassle of returning them for repair (I'm living in Panama) I decided to just purchase another pair.

They're all up to date and I also have only used the beats charger connected to my 2016 MacBook Pro.

Second pair now doing the same thing after a month...

Would really love a solution.

The Beats updater connects to the headphones fine so it must be something in the charging circuit or the battery.

Would be nice if the beats updater could do some kind of diagnostic.

May 2, 2017 9:06 AM in response to arnoale

I have this same problem with my new power beats. In less than one month after purchase they stopped working, will not charge, will not power on, reset does nothing. I am not confident that the replacements are going to be any better since so many people are reporting having this problem here on the community. I did not know that these were now an apple product. I would have never, ever have bought them if I had known that ahead of time. Apple support is the worst. I asked for my money back, but if it is after 15 days, so tough luck sucker. my recommendation: do not buy this product.

May 6, 2017 1:11 AM in response to arnoale

There appears to be a reoccurring fault with the Powerbeats 3. I had mine for just under three months when this fault occurred. I got a replacement from apple under warranty, but after not even two months I've got the same problem and have sent for another replacement. As I canfind the receipt, I'm stuck in an endless loop of replacements for a faulty product. This is more than an inconvenience.

May 8, 2017 12:41 PM in response to arnoale

I have this problem too and it really upsets me. I was using this device for workout and got used to it but it simply doesn't charge anymore.

Two weeks ago it was charging but only up to 85%. Now it doesn't charge at all even though Beats Updater easily finds my powerbeats and offered me to change their name (how generous).

Honestly, I'm really surprised by the amount of people who have the same issues with such expensive earphones.

Jul 24, 2017 10:08 PM in response to arnoale

I have had this same issue with both my own earphones and my wife's earphones. Mine worked for 7 months, my wife's broke after 3 months. We both use them for running. Apple swapped both for a refurbished set. I'm worried about the one year warranty expiring and definitely won't buy or recommend any Beats earphones to replace these when they break again.

Jul 27, 2017 2:05 PM in response to arnoale

I have had this problem repeatedly. I am now on my third pair of Powerbeats3 within 8 months. After doing some research on this issue, it has become clear to me that you cannot get any moisture on the earphone - especially the left earpiece which has the on/off button. Apparently any moisture, including sweat, can find its way inside the earpiece through the on/off button and short out the charging mechanism. Fortunately Apple has a return policy that resets to 90 day warranty with a replacement - so I've only paid for one pair so far. The lesson learned for me is this: Powerbeats 3 are not suitable for exercising, or anything that's going to cause you to sweat.

Powerbeats not charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.