Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Major security flaw!!! Listen to Voicemail from Lock Screen??

Is anyone aware of this?? From the lockscreen, with iOS 8, even if you have a passcode, someone can pick up your phone and say to Siri "Listen to voicemail" and it will play voicemails on the speaker! This seems like a HUGE oversight. In iOS 7 at least, it would then ask for you to unlock your phone before playing it. But now it does not. Of course this can be turned off by denying access to Siri from the lockscreen all together, but that eliminates a lot of other things too that are convenient. What's funny is that I can listen to my voicemails without a password, but if I want to launch Pandora from the lock screen using Siri, it requires an unlock. Seriously??? How has Apple not addressed this yet?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3, null

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 7:07 AM

21 replies

Mar 3, 2015 7:24 AM in response to pogster

I've done that. I'm more interested in knowing if anyone else is aware of this. I have not seen any other posts related to this, which really surprises me. My guess is that most people are not aware of this.

If Apple wants this iOS to be solid, they need a place in Settings allowing the user to select which apps are to be behind the lock, and which ones are in front. So you could put Pandora in front of it, and voicemail behind it. There are so many other things someone can do from the lock screen using Siri, such as get the phone number of the phone. Text people if they know some names. The user should have control over what will require an unlock and what will not, within reason of course. Apply Pay should always require the Touch ID.

Mar 3, 2015 7:32 AM in response to vbmike73

vbmike73 wrote:

Is anyone aware of this?? From the lockscreen, with iOS 8, even if you have a passcode, someone can pick up your phone and say to Siri "Listen to voicemail" and it will play voicemails on the speaker! This seems like a HUGE oversight.

Why are you leaving your phone where untrustworthy people can pick it up? My debit card requires a pin but I still wouldn't leave it where it could be picked up as there are still things that can be done with it.

Of course this can be turned off by denying access to Siri from the lockscreen all together, but that eliminates a lot of other things too that are convenient.

There is always a trade off between security and convenience. Apple gives you the option to have the security you're asking for. Until such time as they change the system, you'll need to decide which is more important to you, security or convenience.

Mar 3, 2015 8:03 AM in response to vbmike73

vbmike73 wrote:

This is not a question about user practices. Wherever I leave my phone is completely irrelevant. The fact still remains that a normal person who locks their phone would assume that these kinds of things are behind the security wall, and they are not.

Yes, actually it is. Apple offers a higher level of security than you have chosen to use. If you chose to use the option with less security, you will need to adjust your habits to accommodate that. People assume lots of things, usually without bothering to read the manual or do any research. If your voicemails are that sensitive, make sure you know how to safeguard them. Accept that you may have to sacrifice some convenience to do so.

Or do what a properly trained secret agent would do: commit the voice mail to memory and destroy it. 😉

Mar 3, 2015 8:19 AM in response to pogster

Once again, I am reminded that posting topics such as this to forums such as this is a complete waste of time. It only invites the irrelevant opinions of other people who feel compelled to contribute to the conversation, even though it provides no value.

My sole intent in posting this was to make people aware of the flaw, since I have not found any other such postings. If it is seen as an issue for many people, who in turn send feedback to Apple, then Apple will address it more quickly.

Obviously I am aware of disabling Siri from the lock screen, as I posted that in my OP. Like I said, in iOS7, they had it right. And they went backwards in iOS8. That's it. It has nothing to do with personal habits, or becoming a secret agent! But thank you all for proving my point!

Major security flaw!!! Listen to Voicemail from Lock Screen??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.