Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini Won't Boot or Internet Restore - Hard Drive Boots on Macbook

Late 2012 Mac Mini. I cloned my 10.10.2 installation of Yosemite over from my Macbook pro 6,2 to a 1TB Samsung 840 SSD. It booted with no issues besides the keychain being lost and all passwords having to be re-entered.

After a week of going perfectly, it stops recognizing the USB keyboard after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. So I rebooted and get the dreaded stop sign after the boot failed. Oops. I enabled trim before I cloned, but forgot to check if it was working in the cloned drive (seems it was in the end). Since there was no recovery partition, I booted into Internet Recovery, but that hung using both WPA and WPA2 router logins. It obviously was syncing with router, but I got error -2002f in every configuration I tried. It also didn't seem to recognize an ethernet connection. Weird stuff.

I remembered I had an issue with a previous Mac Mini of the same model and the permissions after a clone. I repaired permissions and that was that. This is different because it wouldn't boot into Safe Mode. Resetting the PRAM did bring back an audible chime at least.

I pulled the SSD out of the Mac Mini and alt booted in from my Macbook 6,2. No issues (except the keychain thing again( and it loaded quickly. Nothing seemed to be wrong.

Then I put it back in the Mac Mini and tested it with known working RAM. Still the same thing. So now I am going to sleep on it and try to figure it out. It is unlikely to be a hardware failure as the Mac Mini was made in May 2014 and I bought factory refurbished. It seems to be an issue relating to the SSD as it boots other drives.

Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 11:45 PM

8 replies

Mar 4, 2015 7:13 AM in response to Fix The Bugs Please

Fix The Bugs Please wrote:

It is unlikely to be a hardware failure as the Mac Mini was made in May 2014 and I bought factory refurbished. It seems to be an issue relating to the SSD as it boots other drives.

Any ideas?

Is this SSD an additional drive added to your Mac Mini or did you replace the HDD with it? If it's an additional drive and since it's a Samsung, depending where you purchased your drive doubler kit (iFixit or OWC) you can try swapping the drives in the bays. I know for a fact that Samsung SSDs do not work right with the iFixit drive doubler kit's SATA cable. But it does work correctly with the Apple supplied SATA cable. If it's the OWC SATA cable, I know for a fact those are much more reliable with Samsung, OWC, Intel, Crucial SSDs. Another thing, I would NOT enable TRIM (my opinion) using a 3rd party trim enabler if you're running Yosemite. There are issues with trim enablers and Yosemite. Just let the built-in Garbage Collection take care of things.

If it's not an additional drive that was added, does your Mac Mini boot and work fine with the stock drive that it came with? Even though it's a 2012 model, if you purchased it refurbished from Apple in May 2014, you're still under warranty (same 1yr as new Macs) and if it's having same or similar issues working with the stock drive, you can take it to a local Apple Store for warranty repair. You would need to have only the stock drive installed (no SSD) before you setup an appointment.

Mar 4, 2015 8:58 AM in response to keg55

It's the stock Apple cable. It's a 1TB drive I've had no issues with previously. I had it in a Yoga Thinkpad for about 6 months.

Things got worse before giving up last night. After booting up with the disk via usb again successfully, it borked my Macbook Pro's installation of 10.10.2 somehow. I had to reinstall Yosemite from internet recovery on my Macbook Pro, and I am sure nothing is wrong with the disk at least. Restore worked fine, but took at hour for no reason.

Then the 1TB drive wasn't recognized in USB anymore. It only showed up as a default name ( with all kinds of permissions wrong, and it couldn't be fixed. Repairing permissions did get the drive name back, but still couldn't be read. There are some fsck commands to be run if it would boot now into safe mode, but the drive is not recognized in the mac mini at all.

So the drive is fully corrupted. Caused my macbook to become corrupted, and it was cloned from a clean image. There's no viruses possible. It's really crazy.

I am going to guess it is a Yosemite issue firstly because of the weird errors on the disk even though hardware failure seems to be what the symptoms are saying. Now I will waste another morning on this!

Mar 4, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Fix The Bugs Please

Wouldn't boot in single user mode as disk was not recognized on the mac mini, so I lot my chance to fsck. Fsck errored in terminal, so I was hopeful given other advice that it would work in single user mode for the same issue. Disk Utility from local SSD and Recovery Partition disagree

It it is probably strictly a software problem at this point given the fact it works fine now after recloning. It's probably an issue with Carbon Copy Cloner and Yosemite. A lot of people seem to have the same problem, I may be unlucky in that Disk Utility probably broke the installations of both my computers when verifying the disks and the permissions. I would trust fsck a lot more, despite what this says: Resolve startup issues and perform disk maintenance with Disk Utility and fsck - Apple Support

Mar 4, 2015 10:42 AM in response to keg55

I did in fact do this before wiping and cloning. Yosemite doesn't appear to use a normal recovery partition anymore either way. That's why I'm pretty sure it is either CCC, Yosemite, or both.

I think what is happened is that permissions are getting screwed up somehow, and that disk utility breaks things. It seems to be a widespread problem as well regardless of disk type that cmd-r fails with Yosemite. It's so weird you can't boot into safe mode either, that doesn't work. Single user did until the disk was ruined by diskutil, but I missed my chance there trying to solve it in the normal OSX GUI.

There are no status updates with the internet recovery. It either works or it doesn't. It takes about 30 seconds to load when it works. It doesn't tell you if your ethernet connection is working either, it only sort of can confirm you are connected to wifi. It's really poorly implemented.

I will bookmark this thread and update if the problems continue.

Mar 5, 2015 10:43 AM in response to lllaass

This should have been the first thing I tried, but I had converted to windows for the last year primarily, so this was my first foray into Yosemite.

I did actually find this exact thread, but this was when the disk stopped being recognized, so the world may never know if it would have worked, but it's the first thing I will try in the future. I hope this thread helps someone along the way if they come across the same issue. I also hope Apple improves their documentation. fsck in single user mode is a much safer choice than Disk Utility, which may be corrupted in some instances in Yosemite.

All is well now, both computers operating perfectly with an image and clone in case it goes wrong again. The most educated guess I can make at this point is that the permissions were not correct when cloned, and then it cascaded into something nasty. Then in a panic I made all the wrong moves, and somehow this affected my main install on my macbook which needed to be reinstalled as well.

Mac Mini Won't Boot or Internet Restore - Hard Drive Boots on Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.