Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAIL keeps crashing, while trying to erase unsent email with attachments

I cannot erase an email with some attachments which are being sent (but not sent). MAIL keeps crashing. Solution?

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2015 11:17 AM

It is likely that one (or more) of the attachments is corrupted or otherwise causing this...

Try removing the attachments from the email itself (as if you added a wrong one and needed to remove it before sending)

If you are interested in finding the specific one, do this one at a time before attempting to delete the email message.

ÇÇÇ

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2015 11:17 AM in response to Gobsite

It is likely that one (or more) of the attachments is corrupted or otherwise causing this...

Try removing the attachments from the email itself (as if you added a wrong one and needed to remove it before sending)

If you are interested in finding the specific one, do this one at a time before attempting to delete the email message.

ÇÇÇ

Mar 4, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Gobsite

What OS?

I knew I read it right...

I cannot erase an email with some attachments which are being sent (but not sent). MAIL keeps crashing. Solution?

Since the message is in the OUTBOX, waiting to be sent at the earliest opportunity Mail gets to send it - in this case at Launch - I still think this is the message's attachment(s). Deleting the App and re-installing would NOT delete the existing Mail Message Data, so the newly installed App would have the same problem.

I have two plans for action - I cannot test, as I don't have a message handy that is corrupted. Your culprit should be loitering in the OUTBOX.

Plan One

1. Disconnect from the Internet
  2. Open Mail App
    = CRASH? if no, then
  3. Select > Outbox
  4. Double clik the message
  5. remove the attachments as you see fit
  6. Delete message
  7. Quit Mail App
  8. Reconnect to the Internet
  9. Open Mail App

= CRASH? if no, then Voila!

Plan Two

In the Finder...

1. Computer

Macintosh HD (or whatever you named it)

1. {Your UserName}
        1. Library
          1. Mail
            1. Mailboxes
              1. Outbox.mbox
                1. DELETE the contents (likely just the culprit there)
  2. Launch Mail App = Joy?

ÇÇÇ

Mar 4, 2015 7:22 PM in response to Gobsite

Gottit... I think 😝

See if this describes it.

• You were able to Launch Mail App with Net disconnected?
  • Whenever you selected the message in the OUTBOX, it had to try to display or in some way read the attachment that was the corrupted culprit
  • = BAM = Crash ??

This is not a high priority as it is so rare this thread may never be seen again!

buenos noches

ÇÇÇ

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.