Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto hangs "closing the library"

Every time I close iPhoto on my iMac it endlessly displays "Closing the library." But it never closes unless force quit the program. Suggestions?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 8GB Ram

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 5:08 AM

What version of iPhoto? What version of the OS? Where is your Library stored?

26 replies

Apr 20, 2015 4:12 AM in response to Yer_Man

Ok, so it's now April and I've just installed Photos and it's no longer a beta release, it what's comes with OSX 10.10.3

And surprise, surprise it hangs with the message "Closing the library ..." until I kill it with "Force Quit Applications.

So perhaps we can have it back on the agenda. I too have lots of photos previously in iPhoto, like 53,000+

Photos also fails to import photos from a iPhone 6 with iOS 8.1

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Apr 20, 2015 6:04 AM in response to steegg

Sadly, I find Photos to be a terrible program. I was interested in moving all of my photos onto the iCloud and purchased 500MB of space. After conversion of my Aperture library, Photos suddenly told me I needed to put its library in the trash and start over. Meanwhile, during the course of the Photos incorporation of my Aperture data, the Aperture library was corrupted and would not open-nor would backups form TimeMachine work. Fortunately I keep a referenced library and was able to re-create my Aperture library fairly easily. (Managed libraries are dangerous!!!)

I would just avoid the Photos library altogether until Apple fixes its glaring problems. it is slow to open, the libraries get corrupted, it doesn't deal well with photos taken with digital cameras-it ignored existing organization by folder, project and album... It did not upload my photos to iCloud, other than those taken on Apple devices and in Photo Stream... It also doesn't integrate well with FaceBook. In short, a better solution is just to limit its use to Photos taken on Apple, or just don't use it at all.

Apr 20, 2015 8:41 AM in response to fishlaw

For the benefit of others who might search and read this thread:

Fortunately I keep a referenced library and was able to re-create my Aperture library fairly easily. (Managed libraries are dangerous!!!)

They're not. Managed Libraries and Referenced Libraries differ in exactly one way: where the files are stored. Database corruption never affects the files themselves. I can see no way in which the migration of data to a Photos Library will corrupt the Aperture. Nor could it affect your Time Machine back ups. There's something else at play there.

It works just fine with any kind of camera. Yes it uses a new organisation paradigm. It will upload any source material to the cloud from a managed Library.

Apr 20, 2015 8:51 AM in response to Yer_Man

In a way you are correct. Files in managed libraries are stored as separate files, but each within a sub/sub/sub/sub.... directory. Try to locate and reorganize 50,000 photos int his array of directories-not fun. I suppose you could automate the search, but then you have 50,000 random files, which you have to reorganize.

As for failure in conversion, after the first photos library failed, I tried to remake it from the Aperture library. After this, the Aperture library suddenly said it was a converted library and could no longer be opened.

Between the Photos issues and Microsoft Office issues, the shine is coming off the Apple for me.

Apr 20, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Yer_Man

Well, that's a handy bit of information.

It didn't do it the first time it converted it.

Goes to my issue with the lack of transparency with some Apple products.

Too much gets hidden from the user.

But given the other issues with Photos, just not worth the time and risk.

I'll use it for photos taken with iPhone, but not for my images captured with my DSLR or family photos.

Apr 20, 2015 9:16 AM in response to fishlaw

Well, that's a handy bit of information.

It didn't do it the first time it converted it.

Goes to my issue with the lack of transparency with some Apple products.

Too much gets hidden from the user.

Huh? You installed beta software? You know, nothing is hidden from the user who is prepared to learn and take the time to do it. It's a bit like a car in that way. Some folks never open the hood and look at the engine, some folks enjoy dismantling and re-assembling them. If you're not the person who enjoys that puzzle then don;t get involved with beta testing. Things go wrong. That's what the process is all about.

And I think you'll find that every software manufacturer on every OS might have a better help file.

Apr 20, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Yer_Man

I knew what I was getting into with beta testing, and was prepared for what occurred-to the point that I lost no data-and my new Aperture file runs better now that its no longer downloads my photo stream or interacts with FaceBook.

Structurally, I don't like Photos' new organizational paradigm, nor (as you know) do I like managed libraries.

I don't mind things going wrong, I fix my own cars, computers, networks, boats...

But sometimes even after you "fix" it to work as designed, it still doesn't meet your needs.

I do submit feedback and error reports, not sure who listens...

After 20 years working with PCs I decided to try Macs for personal use based on my daughters' experiences with MacBook Pros and the fact I absolutely love the iPhone and iPad (and I also get beta software on them). Apple certainly has better interconnectivity between platforms, but still a long way to go. And definitely not a business friendly as my Windows 7 machines.

Apr 20, 2015 11:18 AM in response to fishlaw

But sometimes even after you "fix" it to work as designed, it still doesn't meet your needs.

That makes complete sense. Sometimes the solution is to use a different tool. Photos is not right for me, I use a different tool.

And definitely not a business friendly as my Windows 7 machines

But that means nothing if you don't explain the business you're in and the software requirements you have... Windows 7 is an OS, that's all. It's no more or less "business friendly" than Windows 8, XP or Mac OS X or Linux. It's a host for software. That's what does the actual work.

Apr 21, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, thank you for your suggestion, I'm sure I could create a new library, but then I'd probably lose all the meta-data keywords, faces etc. Yesterday I tried again to import from my iPhone6 where I have 600 Photos to be imported. I found that I could import them if I did them 80 at a time. However, when I'd finished, I again had to kill the program in order to be able to exit it. If I simply open Photos 1.0, do nothing and close it again then it doesn't hang.

Now, having tried to demonstrate how to use the application to a friend who has just bought his first iMac, I have found it to be a very poor replacement for iPhoto, everything has been moved. It's a lot slower, face recognition has been made a lot more cumbersome. Features like "Show in finder" have been eliminated. Which means that when you has just tried to delete items from your camera, by reimporting but this time with the "delete after importing" box checked, then it goes and duplicates all the photos and gives both copies the same name. So you have no way to find out whether it is just in the database that there are two references to one photo or two actual files.

So in conclusion it's a complete disaster. They must have cut back a lot on the quality control department at Apple, because each new release seems to come with a new show-stopping bug. The last one was 10.10.1 which meant that WiFi didn't work on my brand new Mac Mini for two months.

I have just discovered that there is thread where they explain how to revert iPhoto, so that is what I'm going to have to do. When I've upgraded to 9.6.1

How to revert back to iPhoto from photos

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6995980

iPhoto hangs "closing the library"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.