Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Windows 7 Install Problem

Hi,

I am having problems Installing Windows 7 via Bootcamp on My Macbook Pro 13" Early 2011 (running Mavericks) and was wondering if anyone could help/offer advice.

I took out the optical drive and put in an SSD a while ago, and now I want to install Windows 7 on the SSD. So firstly I tried installing it using a Windows 7 disc and an external optical drive but apparently you can't install it using that method (when you try to install it comes up with a blank screen and blinking cursor). Next I made a bootable USB using an ISO image, and tried to install via the BCA. But when I restart and try to install, it comes up with a black screen saying there is no bootable drive present; I have even tried holding down alt on start up to see what options I have for booting but all I have is the recovery drive and my SSD.

One thing I have read is that I can buy an external SuperDrive, amend the coding in the terminal (or somewhere) which will make the drive compatible with my mac, and then install Windows 7 via Disc through BCA that way. Does any one know if this will work before I purchase one?

Does anyone know of any other methods?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 11:47 AM

On Macs with built-in Optical drives, there is no supported method of installing Windows, if the Optical drive has been removed. There are possible solutions, but there are convoluted.

Here is an example - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20584499#post20584499

You can put back your Optical drive temporarily, and install Windows.

Please also see the post by Billy Way in Audio Not working for Bootcamp Windows 8.1.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 11:47 AM in response to GElliott2305

On Macs with built-in Optical drives, there is no supported method of installing Windows, if the Optical drive has been removed. There are possible solutions, but there are convoluted.

Here is an example - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20584499#post20584499

You can put back your Optical drive temporarily, and install Windows.

Please also see the post by Billy Way in Audio Not working for Bootcamp Windows 8.1.

Bootcamp Windows 7 Install Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.