Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C and Thunderbolt Display Connectivity

I attempted to get a clear answer to my below question by chatting with a few Apple Store reps on the website... Nobody had a clear answer. Hence, I was told to turn to this forum and pose my question.

Will the newly released Macbook which only contains the USB-C connector function with existing Apple Thunderbolt Displays? I currently use my Macbook Pro Retina laptop with the Thunderbolt display and cannot live without this functionality... It is simply too convenient to give up.

Although video and audio may be able to connect to the Thunderbolt Display through adapters, what happens to the Macbook's power supply? Is it possible to have video, audio, AND power flow through the single USB-C connector? Otherwise, the Macbook would only be capable of connecting with the Thunderbolt Display while running off of Batter power.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to any categorical responses to the above!

MacBook

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 7:00 PM

59 replies

Mar 6, 2017 10:31 AM in response to TimSportschuetz

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with Touch bar. I purchased the LG 5K when it first became available and it was a miserable experience. Fortunately, I talked the Apple Store into taking it back yesterday. Now I'm trying to figure out what to try next. I've found some 27" Thunderbolt displays available locally via Craigslist for $600. to $650. I'm wondering how well my MacBook would work with the Thunderbolt Display? I'd love some feedback from those of you with this setup.

I've never paid much attention to the Thunderbolt Display, so I don't know much about it and can't go to the Apple

Store to check it out. Can you tell me if it is Thunderbolt 1 or Thunderbolt 2? How good are the speakers? Are they better than speakers on TVs or other companies monitors? What resolution is the webcam? Is it good? Are the Thunderbolt Displays colors true for photo and video work? Do you figure your Thunderbolt is still good for many years to come?

I have FireWire and Thunderbolt devices, so I think the Thunderbolt Display could be more usable than the LG 5K was. Any luck with charging the 2016 MacBook Pro with the Thunderbolt Display?. How does the resolution look on the 2016 MacBook Pro?

Thanks for any feedback. I really appreciate it.

Mar 11, 2017 7:41 AM in response to tbirdvet

Thanks Tbirdvet for your reply. I ended up getting a Thunderbolt Display off Craigslist and I've fallen in love with it. I'm using it with both my Mac Mini and my MacBook Pro.

When I bought it, they had used it with a monitor arm. Unfortunately, I can't currently use the monitor arm since I have a glass desk. So, I took it to the Genius Bar to have the "duck" foot replaced. They checked it out for me and said it's working fine. The Genius seemed to think Thunderbolt Displays could last up to ten years. He said the original Thunderbolt Displays were Thunderbolt 1 and in 2013 they started making Thunderbolt 2 in them. Is this true? Can any one help me learn more about this? The one I have is Thunderbolt 1, but I'd really like to find one with Thunderbolt 2. I'd buy another one and sell this one.

The speakers are quite good, but I do prefer my external speakers. It's too bad they don't have a port for speakers on the Thunderbolt Display. I have the speakers attached to my Mac Mini. I'm really enjoying the USB ports. For now, I'm using them with a scanner and a wired keyboard and a wired mouse. That way, they can work with either computer which is really nice.

It's too bad it took me six years to check out the Thunderbolt Display! Its a gem.

Apr 16, 2017 6:11 AM in response to TimSportschuetz

I was able to get the dual link DVI version of the Apple Cinema 30" to work with my 2016 Mac Book Pro using:

1) Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter, 2) a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 dongle, and 3) a usb 2.0 extension cable plugged to power the adapter via one of the 3 usb port of a thunderbolt display. I have full functionality from both displays.

The thunderbolt 2 first passes through my San Link 10GB adapter to the thunder bold display but all you really have is power the usb cord from the DLDVI adapter with even just an Iphone usb charger. You loose the connectivity and the software dimming control of the monitor but at least you can use it and manually adjust the brightness.

Once the OWC thunderbay 3 comes out this will all be irrelevant and I will be able to run bot both monitors and charge the laptop off of one cable, mess be gone.

Mar 13, 2015 2:35 PM in response to TimSportschuetz

After some initial issues, the thunderbolt display has been an excellent performer, especially with its multiple interfaces, including cat5 ethernet cable, all funneled through one port. This is definitely the right approach, and I expect - besides a new USB-C display - an adapter, which allows to add power to the mix with the trusted thunderbolt display. Without that, I will not replace my Macbook Pro any time soon with a USB-C-only system.

Mar 14, 2015 8:48 PM in response to TimSportschuetz

I have the same question: USB C will charge and conect to my Thunderbolt Display?

What shall I do when I want to transfer information from a USB C device? Disconnect the new MacBook from the Thunderbolt Display, open the case, connect the device, transfer the data, disconnect it again, connect again to the Thunderbolt Display and close the case?

Im wondering if Steve Jobs would yield about this?

Plus: Core M dual 1.3 GHz, Dont you think is not very powerful?

I have a MacBook Air with Core i7 dual, 2.2 GHz and I can hardly manage my data.

Maybe they will sell a Wireless Display...

Please answer how we charge and connect to the Thunderbolt Display at the same time?

And please, ask the senior designer, why he put only one port?

Mar 15, 2015 12:25 PM in response to TimSportschuetz

I've been thinking about this issue too. Would this work? Connect a Mini Display port to VGA connector to the Thunderbolt display. Connect a USB-C VGA Multi port connector on the new 12" Macbook then a regular VGA(male) connector between the display to the Macbook. I guess you would then connect the Macbook power adapter with USB-C directly into the USB-C VGA Multi port connector which has the USB-C port. Does this make sense?

Mar 15, 2015 2:11 PM in response to Kappy

Excuse me, but I just had some coffee and my synapses and typing are out of control over this recent Apple news.

I use a MacBook Air with a Thunderbolt Display, so if this 2015 MB sits between the MBA's, how do I integrate it with the TD the way I do with the MBA?

Having Retina in a lightweight MacBook is quite desirable (and would align nicely with Apple's iOS device family) but this move seemingly indicates that Retina has bypassed the MBA line and I'm left wondering how does this 2015 MacBook fit into the Apple ecosystem? Or is a new ecosystem on its way? Past Apple Events have mocked Android fragmentation but this uneven spread of features between the MBP, MBA and MB lines -- haptic touchpad versus non-haptic, Retina versus non-Retina, USB-C versus Thunderbolt versus Thunderbolt 2 -- is as fragmented as all get out.

And on top of that we have the future possibility of a Retina Thunderbolt Display seemingly erased by the 5K iMac's stated or unstated claim (I've lost track of which) that 27" Retina is only achievable by integrating the graphics engine into the display.

So is this the end of the line for the Thunderbolt Display? (RIP, 2011-2015, using USB-C as the death knell, or 2011-2014 using 5K iMac as the death knell.)

And further, is this the end of the MacBook Air? (RIP, 2008-2015.) What the point of switching from the lightweight MacBook Air line that I could connect to a 27" display to this new MacBook line cannot connect to a 27" display? What do they have against big displays? They just released a giant screened Retina iPhone to giant sales. Don't they realize that the people lining up outside their stores are liking the move towards big displays? Will there ever be a MacBook Pro Plus? (Oh, please bring back a 17" screen but paired with the slim body of an Air...)

How can I give Apple all my money if they confuse me so with fragmentation and short-lived product categories? (And pre-emptive checkmate: I know, I don't have to give them my money. But still.... Apple? Money? Take? With product ecosystem that makes sense?)

Perhaps the MacBook line is in a transition phase, but it isn't clear where it is going.

Kappy wrote:

The MacBook is not a replacement for a MBP. It's intended for those who need basic connectivity and a high degree of portability - meaning light and small. It sits between the 11" MBA and the 13" MBA. It would be a huge mistake to consider it as a replacement for a MBP.

Mar 15, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Magpie7

Magpie7 wrote:

I've been thinking about this issue too. Would this work? Connect a Mini Display port to VGA connector to the Thunderbolt display. Connect a USB-C VGA Multi port connector on the new 12" Macbook then a regular VGA(male) connector between the display to the Macbook. I guess you would then connect the Macbook power adapter with USB-C directly into the USB-C VGA Multi port connector which has the USB-C port. Does this make sense?

Won't work. VGA ports are video output only. Connecting two VGA ports does nothing. A Thunderbolt display requires a Thunderbolt computer. No adapters or cables will help.

Apr 10, 2015 6:29 PM in response to TimSportschuetz

It's extremely frustrating that Apple have not been clear to loyal customers on this scenario. I have two ThunderBolt Cinema Displays (updated both when Thunderbolt came out) and would love the new Macbook as a primary device I can dock into a monitor when I'm at home or at work. Even though part of me remains annoyed its such a low powered device - I'd still buy it.

I don't care a new MacBook is not a replacement for the MBP. That's not an answer. If you like Apple products you should be able to jump on the latest. I want to buy a MacBook but without the Monitor issue being resolved that money stays in my pocket.

They could have simple said we hear you and wait a few months. Or ship an Adapter Cable or let us know when expected new Retina Monitors with a USB-C will be available.

The MacBook Air looks orphaned and the MacBookPro products look dated compared to the new MacBook and devices like the Surface.

With no information the Apple computer line looks incredibly disjointed. The MacPro trashcan still doesn't have the Monitor available you would have expected either. Perhaps Apple really has been all hands on the Watch, but at their size having the computer portfolio so broken is odd.

Apple does so many great things but the continued lack of customer centricity and silence on these issues is off putting and unnecessary. I watch all their keynotes and its nice to see them slightly less scripted and their presenters coming through more naturally as people. Some customer empathy here would go a long way but it is counter to the way they have been operating to date. I would have hoped this would have changed under Tim faster.

Apple in this case you have it wrong. Please let us loyal customers know where the Monitors are at so we can continue to irrationally throw our money at you.

May 6, 2015 6:26 PM in response to TimSportschuetz

never before in my life have I heard such complaining. All around us we have this great, forward thinking technology that is absolutely crushing. You think a single port ***** now, try no port in 2-3 years. I'm claiming Apple's figured out retina air-play and legit wireless power. Just waiting to burn through their current contracts and then it's game over for plugging junk into your macbook.

For those of us who didn't know already, ditching cords & ports is Apple's M.O.. And I love that. The more they **** people off, the closer they are to achieving singular devices that will last far longer and stand the test of time vs. other tech devices. My MBA 11 and thunderbolt work awesome. Looking forward to a refurbbed USBC retina macbook. Going to pawn this TD to antique collectors.

Side note, the watch is awesome. smaller screens = less power = less garbage in your house = less electronics recycling when you bail from old tech architectures. Sell them while they still have value, word to the wise.

USB-C and Thunderbolt Display Connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.