Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Loops Folder Couldn't Be Created

The subject of this post is the error message I get when I drag a region to the apple loops area to create a new apple loop.

Logic will let me enter all the descriptor information on the loop, acoustic or electronic, dry or processed, etc. All looks like it's working. But then I click the create button and I get the above error message: Apple Loops folder couldn't be created, along with an "abort" button. Which is the only choice.

I don't understand why it would be trying to create a new apple loops folder in the first place. All my apple loops, both the factory install and all my 3rd party loops, are showing up just fine in logic. It just won't let me create a new apple loop.

Logic X.1.1

OS 10.9.5

iMac 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7

16GB RAM

Also, where is the Apple Loops Utility? I can't seem to find that anymore either.

Thanks. Best wishes.

M

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 9, 2015 7:17 PM

16 replies

Mar 10, 2015 6:58 AM in response to MorryNYC

Also, where is the Apple Loops Utility? I can't seem to find that anymore either.

The ALU is no longer a seperate program to LPX. Instead, it is integrated into LPX

However, if you wish to still use the standalone version you can download it.....(Though it should still be installed if you had previously installed LP9 from the DVD version of Logic Studio)

Follow my instructions in this thread.....

Apple Loops Utility

Apr 6, 2016 4:16 AM in response to EcoGreg

unfortunately not. I was very happy with the updates to logic in the last months. Everything was working fine then this problem started seemingly from nowhere. I am pretty good at finding solutions online and do look at the tutorials. (thank you to everyone with the patience to share their knowledge in this way)

I do have loops stored on an external drive connected with alias links. When one upgrades LPX or downloads additional content the links are overwritten, so I have stopped trying to maintain the free space on my system drive because it is very time consuming to redo all the links. In trying to get my loops indexed/recognized/organized I did download whatever additional content was seemingly not there. shortly after I began getting this message and still cannot figure out the workaround. I am at a point where I feel I will need to reinstall the whole LPX app from the beginning.

If I must do this, will all of my loops and instruments I have created on my own be lost forever? What would be the best way to prepare for this last desperate step?

Apr 6, 2016 8:40 AM in response to BluConiglio

Hi Blu

What you are describing is different than the OPs issue. You need to create or go to different topic.

If you want to use an external storage for LPX sounds, you need to create symlinks not aliases. Symlinks are a lower level UNIX location command that points to the location prior to LPX fully loading. Aliases have a different placement in location later in the launch process. The icon in the Finder looks the same, but it is a different location process.

To understand differences between Aliases vs Symlinks see this… http://macs.about.com/od/faq1/f/What-Are-Aliases-Symbolic-Links-And-Hard-Links-I n-Mac-Os-X.htm

As long as a Symlink destination device is mounted prior to launching LPX, then there should be no problem with updates, or attempts by LPX to "download additional content". Not true with Aliases. Do not use "right click and choose Create Alias" but instead use Terminal command ln -s

I posted about this before, but here is a link… Logic Pro X keeps reinstalling basic sound content

Here is a video on creating Symlinks… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yubdnVnbiGQ

Here is written instructions… http://osxdaily.com/2015/08/06/make-symbolic-links-command-line-mac-os-x/

You only need to move certain sound folders, not base level folders. DO NOT USE ALIAS but instead use symlinks via Terminal. (Note do not use the app symbolic linker) Far too many instructions say to use Aliases and this is why people have problems, you have been warned!

Hope this helps, Greg

Apr 25, 2016 2:25 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

So I have gone so far as to replace all my files back to the system drive in the proper places and I still get the same pop up window in logic. 'Apple loops folder couldn't be created'.

Repaired the permissions on my hard drive, reinstalled logic pro x and the problem persists.

I have been able to drag samples into the loops window and they appear there.

It just won't let me drag regions (audio or midi) into the loop browser or let me export to loops from the file menu.

What drastic measure must I make to get this function working again. Will a complete install downloading all the audio content be necessary? I'd really like to avoid this if at all possible. Again any help is greatly appreciated.

In response to the link about creating symlinks above. I have been able to do it with the terminal app but when opening the info on the created links it says they are aliases. is that normal?

Apr 25, 2016 3:17 PM in response to BluConiglio

Hey Blu

Well if you moved the Loops around that much, I recommend you "Reindex" your Loops Library. Should find the command in Loops Library.

If you still have the Sounds Library on another drive, then if you Get Info on your System Library on your boot drive, then that will list the Folder as an Alias.

If you click on the new Location for the sounds on the external drive, they should appear simply as Folder or for individual sounds as whatever format they are. The icon for both aliases and symlinks are the same, wish Apple would have different icons and info so you could tell.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is did you remove the original alias files before installing as symlinks?

Hope this helps, Greg

Apr 25, 2016 4:11 PM in response to EcoGreg

I moved all the files to the original locations and reindexed. no symlinks involved in logic as of yet. I just did my download and document folders as a test for the process. this worked fine. the problem is the window coming up while trying to add loops from within a LPX program file saying 'Loops folder couldn't be created' :-( thanks for the quick suggestions though...

B

Apr 28, 2016 8:14 AM in response to BluConiglio

Hi Blu

Really seem to be hi-jacking the original OP question on creating a Loop. Not sure that SymLinks are related or not. Busy right now, but I'll try to create some loops in Logic soon. See if I have any issues. Never have in the past.

As to how Apple identifies Aliases vs SymLinks, they could do better. Apple makes it very hard to differentiate when something is an Alias and when it is a SymLink. They use the same icon symbol and in the Get Info pane they identify them both as Alias. Furthermore, I just found out even in the developer descriptions in FCPX, Apple calls an Alias a SymLink. What's a poor confused person to do? 😕

The only thing I can tell you is to know the difference, know when to use one vs the other, and then make sure you create the proper link. AFAIK you cannot create a SymLink in Finder. (Although you could create an Automator action to do it)

Here is a screen shot of my System drive with the Get Info pane showing Alchemy sounds that are in fact Symlinks. Notice the File type and size of file…

User uploaded file

They are NOT Aliases.

Here is the other end of the SymLink on an SD card, again notice File type and size…

User uploaded file

So hope this answers your questions. Maybe put in a request to Apple to allow you to store Logic Libraries separate from OS drives and to change how Aliases and SymLinks are identified.

New AV Frameworks in El Capitan allow Resource Assets and Libraries to be split up and tracked, so given the small OS flash drive sizes, Apple really needs to rewrite Logic to make it simple to move these resources off the boot drive.

Hope this helps, Greg

May 4, 2016 7:32 AM in response to EcoGreg

Thanks I really do appreciate the detailed information here.

If the thread seems to have digressed it is only because I am still trying to solve the original problem. I try the suggestions given and the problem persists. Still no answers to the problem that the program will not allow me to export anything from within the program which I have created to the loops browser. User uploaded file

Apple Loops Folder Couldn't Be Created

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.