Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes match and iTunes radio skips songs on wifi

iTunes match and iTunes radio have been skipping songs while on wifi. We have a Linksys EA6350 setup in WPA2 personal for both the 2.5 ghz and 5 ghz networks. Both are setup as mixed 802.11n/ac with both on a channel width of AUTO. We are using two Apple TV's, iPhone 5s and a iPad 2. One of the apple TV's is setup as a different iTunes account than the others. It skips songs on all devices and accounts, however when I turn the wifi off on my iPhone both iTunes match and iTunes radio work flawlessly. What should I do?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 2:35 PM

21 replies

Mar 11, 2015 12:05 PM in response to Brownw89

Same thing was happening to my sister and me. iTunes radio on her iPhone 4s and iTunes radio on my iPhone 5s and iPad Air 2 keep skipping while we're on our home wifi. once we use a different wifi or the cellular network it starts working correctly. I already contacted apple about this and the persons that helped me told me they took the matter up to the engineering department. So now I'm just waiting on a reply back. Hopefully, they can get this fixed up.

btw, what router are you using? I'm using a netgear r7000. I'm also running iOS 8.2.

Mar 11, 2015 2:21 PM in response to ohio_state_nut

+1 same issue here.

Not sure exactly when it started, but seems like it was sometime on or after 3/7.

It appears to affect every device I have on the home network (iMac, MacBook Pro, Macbook Air, iPhone, iPad). Most devices are wifi, but I can confirm the issue also occurs on my iMac which is connected via ethernet. I'm able to get both iTunes match streaming and iTunes Radio streaming to the iPhone and iPad if I disable wifi and use LTE.

On my iOS devices, it just looks like it's skipping songs repeatedly...every now and then it might play one song, but it skips 30-50 before that happens. A few times it just kept skipping until the device rebooted itself. On my OS X devices, I don't get any of the skipping, it just looks like it's trying to load the radio station (i get the blue progress bar at 100% but nothing ever happens).

For what it's worth, I'm using an Apple Time Capsule for as my DHCP for ethernet and wifi. My internet provider is Cox Communications.

Mar 11, 2015 3:55 PM in response to PetesFeats

PetesFeats: Same exact issue and I'm also using Cox. I called Cox Tier II Support and they say that this is the first they heard of any issue. The Tech said they are not blocking anything nor have they changed any firewall settings. We ran through the basic reset of the modem, but the issue was still there. Cox said it sounds like an Apple application issue.

EncoreBlade: Let us know what you hear back from Apple Engineering.

Mar 23, 2015 7:15 PM in response to Brownw89

I'm having the same issue at home with my WiFi devices connected to Cox Internet (in Phoenix, AZ).

And yes, it seemed to have begun in early March 2015.

I do not have the problem on my iPhone when I turn off WiFi and use the Verizon network.

That seems to indicate the issue is due to an issue with Cox Communications.

Here's a raw video of the "iTunes Radio skipping songs" issue, just for clarification...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNGmjxBiKcg

Apr 1, 2015 7:07 PM in response to Brownw89

I have been having this problem for months and now understand it's my internet providers DNS servers that are the problem - not apple. To fix the problem I went to my network router and changed the DNS servers from the cable company's DNS servers to Google's DNS servers. I figure Google's DNS servers are pretty stable.

Google Public DNS is a free, global Domain Name System (DNS) resolution service, that you can use as an alternative to your current DNS provider. To try it out: Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers.

Apr 3, 2015 8:32 PM in response to Brownw89

Same issue. It started with Apple TV then it began on my ipad and phone. I tried everything. The poster above is right. The problem goes away on the phone if you turn off wifi. So thats definitely a major component of this. I tried the different dns servers but thats not fixing anything. I had changed absolutely nothing prior to this happening. This problem materialized out of thin air sometime early to mid march. It also started with radio but now skips songs in my own library. The only way to fix that is to download them. Extremely aggravating. This is basic functionality that i depend on daily. APPLE PLEASE PAY ATTENTION AND FIX.

Apr 3, 2015 11:12 PM in response to mattcne

Changing the DNS setting on my router fixed the problem for me! Thank you for the great tip mattcne!

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers

I was about to smash both of my iPhones and switch to Android.

I don't understand why Apple support can't make these simple tips for their users. They supposedly have the best minds in the business, and all they can say when you call them is they'll put in a development ticket or blame it on your Internet provider.

Apr 4, 2015 9:34 AM in response to Brownw89

Ok - the "Frustration Relieved" award goes to mattcne!

After over a year of trying to get my devices to play all songs on my 15,000+ song library it finally came down to updating the IP Addresses as noted by Mattcne and Spencerf_III.

I live in San Diego and use Cox as my ISP. I have iPads and iPhones which all work with Match now without skipping songs. I can happily work in the yard or enjoy my bluetooth speakers on the patio without having massive "dead" silences while my device skips hundreds of songs or freezes while I chill with friends.

My wireless router is a Cisco Valet and the Modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB6141.

Now I just need to have all my friends update their routers as well as my work office. :-)

Good luck to all!

Apr 4, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Brownw89

Alright, so it seems the problem's been fixed. I said earlier that the Apple representatives that helped me escalated it to Apple Engineering and told me that they would provide a weekly update through email after all the calls they also gave me. I hadn't heard from them for a couple weeks now. However, I decided to try out iTunes radio again on all my iOS devices and it works! No skips or anything abnormal. I didn't have to change anything either. So either Cox or Apple fixed something. I hope the same goes for you guys!

Apr 8, 2015 12:26 PM in response to Brownw89

So I tried the DNS solution and mine is still skipping. It worked for about the first day and now its not working again. On my routers settings there are three static DNS servers. I put the first as 8.8.8.8 the second as 8.8.4.4 originally and now I just tried the third as 8.8.8.8. Still skipping... Any suggestions? Is there any other settings I need to change to allow this to work properly?

iTunes match and iTunes radio skips songs on wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.