Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

rMBP Iris 6100 Gpu - 2x UHD(3840x2160)/@60Hz?

MacBook Pro Retina((12,1) 2015(13") with Intel Iris-6100 graphics.

Released March 2015.

Is this laptop capable of running two separate UHD(3840x2160)/60Hz monitors off the two TB-2 ports? In addition to the native Retina screen. - The specifications are not clear. And what about true-4k(4096x2160)/60Hz? Can that be run from the same ports (not HDMI)?

Posted on Mar 10, 2015 7:05 PM

26 replies

Mar 11, 2015 2:52 AM in response to Kappy

Where did you find that information, Kappy? The specs do not show this information (see http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/ )

The specs merely state the following:

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 3840 by 2160 pixels on up to two external displays, both at millions of colors

• Thunderbolt digital video output
  • Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI, VGA, dual-link DVI, and HDMI output supported using Mini DisplayPort adapters (sold separately)

Now it's clear, that HDMI won't drive 60hz @4k but DisplayPort 1.2 and the GPU provided by Broadwell is definitly technically capable of providing at least one display with 4k@60hz.

The fact that the specs don't state "4k@60hz/via DP" explicitly is suspicious. Would be great if someone could provide definitive information on this.

I can't work without this feature, therefore can't buy it without this feature.

Mar 11, 2015 2:41 PM in response to rdavo

Through this page. 2015 Macbook Pro Retina have the ability to output 4k 60Hz at least one:

Using 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs with Mac computers - Apple Support

Multi-Stream Transport (MST) displays

These computers also support multi-stream transport (MST) displays at 60 Hz.

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
  • Mac Pro (Late 2013)
  • iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)

Apr 2, 2015 12:37 PM in response to JesseZlatsin

4/2 Update: Received both. 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz works out of the box using the supplied LG mini-DP to DP cable by switching to scaled and choosing the "More Space" option in display settings. Both displays are running simultaneously

For now, I'm not able to switch to 4096x2160. I tried the alt-scaled option in display settings, and tried several SwitchResX suggestions on Mac Rumors forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1811376). I've also reached out the the SwitchResX developer to see if there may be a new custom setting necessary for the new MacBook Pro. The black bars on either side are about an inch wide each—not terrible, but not ideal either.

By the way, the display is quite nice—like looking at a printed magazine.

User uploaded file

Apr 4, 2015 3:59 PM in response to rdavo

Reading the tech specs, it sounds to me like Apple is saying the new 13" RMBP with Iris 6100 can drive dual external 4K displays at 60Hz. I've been trying to get mine working with dual Dell UP2414Q monitors with no luck using the included Dell DP to mini DP cables. I've had no issue driving the internal display and one of the external displays at 3840x2160@60Hz, but as soon as I connect the second, the first display turns off and says there is no input.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I purposely bought the new 13" RMBP in order to drive dual external 4K displays.

Apr 4, 2015 8:41 PM in response to MRCUR

Another update - I was able to get both Dell UP2414Q's running by disabling DP 1.2 on them. This of course means that they are running in 30Hz mode. I don't know enough about MST vs SST in 4K displays to know if this is to be expected or not.

Reading Apple's KB article on 4K displays, it is not apparent that you must disable DP 1.2 in order to drive dual external 4K displays with the latest 13" RMBP. Only the iMac 5K and 15" RMBP are called out as only being able to drive one external 4K display when using DP 1.2 and having 60Hz.

rMBP Iris 6100 Gpu - 2x UHD(3840x2160)/@60Hz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.