Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8 Location Based Reminders Not Working

Hi,

Ever since iOS 8.1.1 has been on my iphone, location based reminders have just stopped working. I was hoping 8.2 was going to fix it, but it hasn't. This is on my iPhone 6.

The reminders show up correctly in reminders as "Arriving: Home" but they just don't go off anymore. I've reset location settings to defaults, but it's made no difference.

I've noticed that in location services settings it's shown as "While using the app" instead of "Allow always" like I would assume it would say.

I've confirmed that background refresh is turned on.

Ben

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 1:22 AM

31 replies

Apr 10, 2015 10:27 AM in response to MoltenTesseract

I also have struggled with location-based reminders in iOS 8 for a while now, probably like @MoltenTesseract. I can't get them to work at all.

Here is a list of everything I've tried:

1) hard reset of phone

2) fresh reinstall of iOS

3) turned location settings off and on for Reminders

4) deleted actual reminder and re-set

5) checked notification settings are ON for Reminders and set to appear on lock screen

I'm stumped. The alerts never happen. Please see attached screen shots. The one that perplexes me is the location setting for Reminders. There is no "Always" option like there is for other apps. Help!

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Apr 11, 2015 2:03 AM in response to NJL1971

Hey Mate,

Keep at it! I mamaged to get mine working again, but I still have no idea how I got it working. I honestly can't remember exactly what I did, but I basically reset privacy settings multiple times and followed what everyone else said to so. I do recall that I completely broke Siri while trying to fix it, she refused to look up and information and didn't know i had my cotact configured. After I managed to get Siri working location based reminders started working!

Apr 15, 2015 3:40 PM in response to NJL1971

I've done some more digging. It seems that if

1) you also have an Exchange account on your phone (which I do)

2) you must have Reminders for the Exchange account turned on, but not set to default (which I didn't)

Very, very odd as to why you can't have Reminders for the Exchange account turned off, but when I enabled it, location-based reminders set using Siri seem to work again.

Apr 16, 2015 7:31 AM in response to MoltenTesseract

Just read this on another thread posted by @climber12we in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5422515

I can attest to the fact that abw5 has provided a solution to get location based reminders working again. Since this is a bug in the OS each iPhone may react a little bit differently. In my case the Reset Location and Privacy worked perfectly in forcing the location based reminders to work again without the Reminders app running in the foreground or the background. However, on my iPhone the fix is broken if I go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > and turned off any single service (NOT including "Cell Network Search" "Wi-Fi Networking", "Frequent locations" or "Traffic")

Since this is a bug I believe that each individual iPhone will react slightly different to the fix. But the fix provided here did fix the issue as long as I don't turn off any of the "System Services"

So the issue might be that sometimes I go into "System Services" and turn some of these off, like "Location-Based iAds". So, I will reset all and not touch them! I will test again and report back.

Apr 22, 2015 3:23 PM in response to NJL1971

These steps have indeed corrected all my problems:

1) Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location and Privacy and reset.

2) Then, DO NOT go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services and turned off any single service.

Location-based reminders, set up manually and with Siri, are now both working.

iOS 8 Location Based Reminders Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.