Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I do the rewards here properly for answering/helping replies to questions?

Hi Everyone!

I've just returned to this site after many years not here....and I've forgotten how the reward system works. I gave out a "This helped me" to "one" posting of someone "BDAqua" and now every posting he does on the question says "This helped me" but its not the one that did?

Did I do it wrong?

I got a warning when I did that that I only had "one" more helpful to give!

I hope that was just per question, not for entire site as I have more questions to ask!

I did not see anything about the reward system here on the way to signing up again. Maybe I missed it. Maybe when I ask the question again I might get a link and then I don't have to write the question, (It was too different, no other answers yet) but I'll try and post it anyway so BDAqua knows I may have made an error on that one, but I did want to give helpful for a side issue that I found it impossible to "cut and paste" from a document/text/editor into your postings, so I had to abandon all I wrote and write it for the first time over again on the Reply box (it allows me to copy that off so I can see it off line in a text document, but not the other way around.

I was using the "PC" to do this faster, as Mac is really slow now. So that might be another reason why it did not copy and paste (Yes I know CTL + C = copy and CTL + V = paste in PC, etc commands they were not working here)--I had to cheat and take over the "auto quote" function and erase it to submit something else that was quoted off a website here..

And I found the differences between the short and the advanced text editor here.

Looking for the information about how to post things. I have to post an image for another question. I hope it works when I press the image button and if it lets me search for the file on my computer.

Thanks for reading this!

Mac_Help

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Apple Chip not Intel chip

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2015 4:44 PM

1. You did it correctly.

2. It’s per thread.

3. Click here for more information about the system.

(123982)

15 replies

Mar 14, 2015 1:34 PM in response to Niel

Hi there Niel!

Thanks for your reply!

I'm marking it solved !

Do I ask a follow up question here? or should I begin a new post?

On other Computer question sites...especially those that allow images to be uploaded... they let the "user" or "poster" edit their Postings before (and some do it after as well) they are posted!

Advantages:

1. You can see if the image uploaded correctly in your message.

2. You can see if the quoted material appeared correctly, if the quotes ended at the right spot or you didn't clip off a word etc.

3. You can test out any "links" "urls" posted to see if they work without having to post a follow up posting listing the corrected linke (as I had to do once already!)

---------

All in all , having editing ability before posting "forever" for the world to read would be a good thing here....

I found a link to another message here so I do know you allow "15" minutes once you post to edit! (it worked! I just added this in!)

I tend to write LONG so that is far too short a time to read whole post and edit out all my erorrs before it becomes permanent....

The link said: [quote] As you say, you have just 15 minutes to remove a post via the edit function. It then becomes permanent and unless it breaks the community rules it stays there forever. [/quote] and I fixed the quote I messed up on too! in the 15 minutes I had:

As you say, you have just 15 minutes to remove a post via the edit function. It then becomes permanent and unless it breaks the community rules it stays there forever.

----------------

Is there a suggestion box for this? Or just posting it somewhere in my message is enough to get attention of the people who are in charge of the Apple Community?

After posting this message I'll mark it as solved and see if it still allows me to post replies after that---I don't know yet... maybe yes maybe no.. I'll see what happens...

If not... go to one of my other posts that are still open and tell me so and I'll make this a brand new posting question and leave it open for a while.....

Does that make sense?

Thanks Niel for all the information about the site, I appreciate it!! (could not see it coming online here).

Mac_Help

Mar 14, 2015 1:53 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi ChitlinsCC!

Thanks for helpful posting!

I'll go submit my editing comment to feedback link you gave. Thanks!

See my other posting question here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6866622

for why I'm having problems with "composing in an external app" with old TIger OSX. I got some answers there I've not downloaded just yet so still working on a PC that refuses to be cooperative with Apple Community postings---

Thanks again!

Mac_Help

Mar 14, 2015 2:34 PM in response to Mac_Help

I am unsure as to your goal. Information? Spring Cleaning? ????

As an Tiger user on a Pismo PowerBook, I have never had an issue with either option - Print or Two FireWire drives performing just fine.

PRINT

1. In the Finder, choose your HD (one at a time, same procedure)
  2. Choose List view
    User uploaded file
  3. Show the columns you want - View > View Options
    User uploaded file
  4. Beginning at the BOTTOM of the Window, Option + Click the grey arrow next to the Folder names to Open all enclosing folders and work your way to the TOP
  5. Choose File > Print - get ready for MANY, Many, many pages

COMPARE with Software

Follow the others' suggestions - they are all veteran, respected members

Mar 14, 2015 4:22 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi again ChitlinsCC!

Thanks for your information!!

Too bad I can't hit twice on the Solved my problem button here....

Maybe I should make a separate heading... but I did have the question asked in this thread: How do I print the contents of a HDD?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6866622

I copied the basic reason here so you don't have to search for it as there are 15 posts there

I have a Mac G4 (yes) with Tiger 10.4.11 (yes still) and I have two backup drives.... They should be evenly "filled" but there is over 26 GB difference so that one is going to be running out of space sooner than I want it to. I have 100's of files... I need some program that works under Tiger to either:

1. Print the contents of the HDD (the file names/sizes, etc---there is something that does this in Windows, why not Mac?).

or

2. A program that compares the contents automatically between the two HDD's. Again I have used one on PC's but its really old and company no longer makes it for PC's. Is there one for Mac? I have no idea how to express it to look it up. (I never have both of the HDD's all hooked up by Firewire at same time---afraid of overloading old Mac).... so only if there is a program that does this working under Tiger would I then come back here to ask a question for how to get the two drives hooked up to compare the contents and find out what is taking up extra space.

Mostly the drives have iPhoto items in it so it could be simply a double-entered iPhoto Roll/Album---but never thinking I'd have to compare them---most of the titles begin the same exact way---too difficult to go over unless I can cross off a printed sheet to compare the two drives---or have a computer do that for me.

And that's why I need to compare them.

I'm also writing another question you may see here (when and if I get it done...has lots of pieces) about the fact that I can't get more HDD drives that are 1. "new" and 2. still work with old Tiger. All but one company today are making drives that have at their lowest operating system OSX 10.5 Leopard as minimum requirement (and I've been busy wasting time contacting the companies to see if I can use Tiger with them and I get the "Intel" chip required answer

(SO I wrote another thread/discussion here about the differences between PPC and Intel I've been told verbally over the years)

Too much in one posting!

Sorry!

Hope this answers your question ChitlinsCC!

Mac_Help

Mar 15, 2015 11:17 AM in response to seventy one

Hi seventy one!

(hope User Name is not a reference to your age as you're brilliant!)

Now I'll just go and give my other "helpful" to Chitlin! (I didn't know I can give two) as he did answer my other post of "How " to print, which others did not answer yet that way...

(Maybe I should copy his answer and post it there...) (Or if he does that I'll give him another helpful there as well)...

Since if the other members of Apple Community use the search function---how are they going to know that hidden in my request for information about "How to print list of file contents of a HDD" is the more appropriate location to find an answer for how to print out content lists to compare from the HDD's

Haven't tried it yet----got to fix printer--its down again (again!) ....see my post called

as to "why" ___________________________--see "Reason" number 2.

OOPS! (Oh I've not done that one yet---too many posts open yet as unsolved....) (It will be called "G3 G4 G5 something like that---can't upgrade to Leopard" )

Oh by the way seventy one..... that was a great suggestion.... but you understand the concept of infinity here... you just helped me and so I want to reward you with a "solved" or helpful one, but I've given them all out (or will do when I do Chitlin's second helpful)--- I should know when and where to divide up my questions so everyone can take a shot at answering them and get something if successful!

Thanks again!

Mac_Help

Mar 15, 2015 11:21 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi Chitlin!

I was here to add in another "helpful" to you.. .but ran into problems following your "PRINT" instructions below (quoted)

PRINT

In the Finder, choose your HD (one at a time, same procedure)

Choose List view

Picture 2.png

Show the columns you want - View > View Options

Picture 1.png

Beginning at the BOTTOM of the Window, Option + Click the grey arrow next to the Folder names to Open all enclosing folders and work your way to the TOP

Choose File > Print - get ready for MANY, Many, many pages

-------------------

I don't get the same things...

I have a SMALL file heading I can play with so I don't waste lots of paper while I figure this out!! Its under left side Finder window under the original category (2004) "VIDEOS" with only four items: 1 Video 1 a Word document I wrote in 2008, explaining how to use this section and two .wmg files

Following your advice after choosing the items I want displayed....

I highlighted?? all four items. Using the Option Button did not work at all (Option alone plus "click" on mouse or Option with the "+" sign (I know it does work for magnification "-" makes it smaller but havne't used that function in years so I'm unsure)... or what am I to do?

If I hit Option + Click at same time I get just ONE file name highlighted and I can't go from bottom to top.

So I tried doing "Shift" and moused up the highlights! All four are lit!

I raced over to File>Print! Hey! never thought of trying that before!!!

BUT

NOTHING!!!

All that did was open up ALL FOUR FILES at once---noisy!!! Except for the Word.doc of course!

Did not activate my HP Printer at all.

What did I do wrong? Has it been that long since I had to read and follow Mac instructions that I forgot how to learn new tasks?

I can do Pics and post here if it helps, but I can't single out keyboard strokes to take a pic while doing the strokes as you need Shift+Option+ 3 or 4 to take a screenshot, right? so those buttons are busy while I'm trying to use them for what you said to do, so no screenshots to show you!

Sorry!

Thanks....let me know what I did wrong so I can try again ....

Mac_Help

Mar 15, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Mac_Help

OK - turns out you can't directly Print Window anymore!! There is an AppleScript included with MY OS X version - BUT my printer is broken and I cannot prove this works as it takes place WAAAYY in the Background

User uploaded file

There is also and Automator Action that appears to SAY it will print "Files/Folders" - but when I run this and choose PDF as the output in the Print Dialog, it does not print(SAVE) what one sees ...

User uploaded file

... a list of files (even Invisible files) & folders IN That FOLDER (this case DESKTOP) = NO SUbFolders!!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

If I were stumped, and I AM! I would simply open Finder windows of your two drives side by side and scroll until I found the windows NOT matching up. Barring unmatched then repeat with Sorted By SIZE - since your goal is looking for the difference of 20-something MBs.

OR... you could use one of the utility apps that has been suggested by others😉

Mar 15, 2015 2:35 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi ChitlinsCC!!

I'll do the last line first : (as this turned out to be a very long posting!)

I have to write detailed description to get help here....(I should post also it in the thread with the replies by BDAqua etc about those apps)

I downloaded both of the suggested ones OmniDiskSweeper (correct version) and hopefully V5 for 10.4 of the Tri-Backup5. Lots of quesitons.... nothing done yet....

I would of course have to learn (once I test them out on the HD I have inside the G4---I can open two windows just like you suggested too to test it your way)---then I'll have more hard questions to ask why they are not working (I got a few warnings one quit on me---I don't remember which as I'm still using PC as it types MUCH faster than the Mac. So I can't compare screens at same time.

--------------------

Back to your PRINT command... I used to (20+ years ago) know what Apple Scripts were and how to write them and do them----but too long out of there---I would probably mess it up and need too many step by steps and need old Tiger books I never purchased, as I never did them using Tiger... Panther or Jaguar before that.... sigh....

Even the Apple Scripts symbol "$" on top menu bar is gone---I don't know why, where it went or when? I've had many many different people helping me over the years since Apple Care ran out on the machine, so maybe one of them did something?

Sorry its (window print) not available to me...under Apple Scripts.

BUT I like your idea of comparing two windows----

Again, I have to figure out with one 800 one 400 Firewire holes in the G4 (the plug only fits one of them) how do I daisy chain the two drives together without overloading the Mac's processor or memory or whatever?

NOT your problem to solve.... Its mine, my fault in PC's and Mac's I try to type the same thing in each file when I do duplicates for backups..... but even using a text editor to store them between attaching unattaching items I never seem to remember exactly how the tree of files looks like from one to another---so its not like your two ones.... so neatly similar, which is why I either have to print it out and find it by file "size" and "date" more than exact name (maybe I'll be able to correct them---probably not since 100's of files....

I would not print out more than the upper levels, not the subfolders---as they were transferred as they were from the Mac 's HD to the backup drives. So I'm certain I just backed up one or two whole files by accident--with slightly different names .... can be as easy as:

Photos December versus December Photos-----so you see alphabetically one file will be listed under "P" and one is under "D" due to my sloppy typing----BUT I know both were saved at 250 MB each on that particular day.

Someone (not me) could spend weeks reorganizing files here... but its not my ability to do that and get it 100%---so that hurts me now that I need more free space or at least answer as to why there is so little left in one drive versus the other (90 GB in one) 46 in other..... (approx I don't have drives attached and not writing on correct discussion so apologies if numbers do not add up to 26 GB diff I remember and know it is).

Thanks for reading all my rambling about the problem(s)

Mac_Help

Mar 15, 2015 2:52 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi ChitlinsCC!

OOPS! I was busy typing and posting and did not see you replied again to another point....

I"m not certain what you mean there.... "attributes"? Is that to find the files in the two drives?

"focus" Not heard that term before....

Sorry for brief reply.... I know you're helping!

Just wanted to let you know I did not ignore your posting , I don't see new posts while entering my own reply---something maybe can be fixed by Apple so you get an "alert" if a new post comes in while you're busy composing---I do have double windows open on the PC, but I got to check them!!! to see if a new post occurred before I press "post"

Thanks so much ChitlinsCC!!

Mac_Help

Mar 15, 2015 3:31 PM in response to Mac_Help

attributes

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

focus

when more than one App is open - along with the Finder

Finder in focus

User uploaded file

Firefox in FOCUS

User uploaded file

Daisy Chain FireWire

These should work fine as long as you have the ports (back of FW drives) and cords to fit.

CORDS

best probably to buy cords that fit your G4 ports though. I have done both in the past. FW is fast enough not to matter.

When you do a side-by-side...

close all Apps except the Finder and you should not slam the System's resources (read RAM used) - G4 was state of the art at the time and 10.4.11 runs fine on my G3 -> I keep Firefox, MS Entourage & Activity Monitor open always while online - and open TextEdit and Preview (even Photoshop sometimes) with no crashes - sluggish YES.

How do I do the rewards here properly for answering/helping replies to questions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.