Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6 won't let me delete photos

I synced my iPhone with iTunes and all of the pictures from my iPhoto synced and now I've got full memory since all of my pictures make up about 6gb. How do I delete these pictures?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 13, 2015 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 9:39 AM

Hello michqnxx,

I understand you have synced your photos to iTunes and now want to delte them from your iPhone. There are several ways to do this, and I'll include all of the information in this post.

If the photos on your iPhone were synced from iTunes to begin with, here's how you would delete them:

Sync photos to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in iTunes - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201313

Delete synced photos

1. In iTunes, locate and click on your device.
  2. Click Photos.
  3. Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections you want to delete.
    To delete all synced photos, deselect "Sync Photos from" and, when asked, click "Remove photos."
  4. Click Apply.

Learn how to delete photos and video synced from iTunes when you can't access the originals.

If the pictures were taken with the iPhone and reside in the Camera Roll:

My suggestion would be to import the photos to your computer, and create a second backup of the images. When the import finishes, you will be prompted to delete the images from the phone.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302

You can also use the Photos app on your iPhone to select the images you want to delete and then tap the trash icon.

iPhone User Guide - Chapter 11 - Photos

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Delete a photo or video from Photos. Tap the Photos tab, tap the photo or video, tap , then tap Delete Photo or Delete Video. Deleted photos and videos are kept in the Recently Deleted album on iPhone, with a badge showing the remaining days until the item is permanently removed from iPhone. To delete the photo or video permanently before the days expire, tap the item, tap Delete, then tap Delete Photo or Delete Video. If you use iCloud Photo Library beta, deleted photos and videos are permanently removed from all iOS 8.1 devices that use iCloud Photo Library beta with the same Apple ID.

Recover a deleted photo or video. In the Recently Deleted album, tap the photo or video, tap Recover, then tap Recover Photo or Recover Video to move the item to the Camera Roll or, if you use iCloud Photo Library beta, the All Photos album.

Hope that helps ...

- Judy

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2015 9:39 AM in response to michqnxx

Hello michqnxx,

I understand you have synced your photos to iTunes and now want to delte them from your iPhone. There are several ways to do this, and I'll include all of the information in this post.

If the photos on your iPhone were synced from iTunes to begin with, here's how you would delete them:

Sync photos to your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch in iTunes - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201313

Delete synced photos

1. In iTunes, locate and click on your device.
  2. Click Photos.
  3. Choose "Selected albums" and deselect the albums or collections you want to delete.
    To delete all synced photos, deselect "Sync Photos from" and, when asked, click "Remove photos."
  4. Click Apply.

Learn how to delete photos and video synced from iTunes when you can't access the originals.

If the pictures were taken with the iPhone and reside in the Camera Roll:

My suggestion would be to import the photos to your computer, and create a second backup of the images. When the import finishes, you will be prompted to delete the images from the phone.

Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your Mac or Windows PC - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302

You can also use the Photos app on your iPhone to select the images you want to delete and then tap the trash icon.

iPhone User Guide - Chapter 11 - Photos

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1565/en_US/iphone_user_guide.pdf

Delete a photo or video from Photos. Tap the Photos tab, tap the photo or video, tap , then tap Delete Photo or Delete Video. Deleted photos and videos are kept in the Recently Deleted album on iPhone, with a badge showing the remaining days until the item is permanently removed from iPhone. To delete the photo or video permanently before the days expire, tap the item, tap Delete, then tap Delete Photo or Delete Video. If you use iCloud Photo Library beta, deleted photos and videos are permanently removed from all iOS 8.1 devices that use iCloud Photo Library beta with the same Apple ID.

Recover a deleted photo or video. In the Recently Deleted album, tap the photo or video, tap Recover, then tap Recover Photo or Recover Video to move the item to the Camera Roll or, if you use iCloud Photo Library beta, the All Photos album.

Hope that helps ...

- Judy

Aug 29, 2015 8:36 AM in response to michqnxx

michqnxx,

I am not sure if you were able to solve your situation.

Using the built in Image Capture software (on Macs) you are able to access your mobile device (after connecting by cable) and deleting the files that you need to remove.

The below link details this in some more detail.

How to delete photos/videos from iPhone after import by Image Capture App

Hope this helps,

Jason

Dec 7, 2015 4:39 AM in response to judysings

This system no longer works for me.

I recently got a new iPhone, a 6s. Now, after I transfer my photos to my PC and hit Delete (on top of the page or by right-clicking), I'm told I do not have permission to delete the item. That happens for every single photo. How can I go back to deleting photos after I've transferfed them over? It used to be so easy.

I tried deleting them from iTunes instead, as someone here suggested, although that would involve extra steps. However, I do not have a link to the iPhone photos on my device in iTunes. My music shows up, but not my photos. The category is not even listed.

Jan 22, 2016 6:03 PM in response to michqnxx

You probably want to delete a photo album to free up memory. The reason you can't delete the album resides on iTunes, not your iphone. You cannot delete an album on your iphone that originated as a synch from you My Pictures folder on your computer by working on the iphone. You have to work around this nuisance through itunes. If a photo album on your iphone was synched to folder in your computer "My Pictures", it will continually re-synch to that folder every time it backs up or synchs. To Get rid of that album, you must synch to a different album, that has very little data, perhaps 1 photo.

First - Open your My Pictures Folder and create a new folder labeled "1 photo"

Populate that folder with any photo - make it a good one, as it will now be on your iPhone photo album window. This will not work if this new folder is empty.

Connect iphone to computer

Sign on to iTunes and choose your device - usually a little phone icon upper left

Click the photos icon

Click Synch Photo button

Work with the "Copy Photos From" window. It will likely have the name of the folder to which it has been continually re-synching at every back up because you set it to do that when you set up your itunes the first time

Click the down arrow and choose "choose folder" - that will link you to your "My Pictures" Folder.

The screen will default to an "All Folders" choice in the window below, but that is irrelevant because there are no more folders in your "1 Photo" folder.

Now chose that "1 photo" subfolder with 1 picture and click APPLY.

The pink scroll bar depicting the amount of storage devoted to photos will drop to the new usage.

Now go back to Summary screen and click back up.

The iphone will back up to the "1 photo" folder instead of the prior folder with all those unwanted pictures

The biggest impact is if there were videos in the problem folder.

Anything you want to keep from the problem folder on your iphone can be copied and pasted into the "1 photo" folder.

I don't know how to completely delete a folder copied from your computer, only how to replace it with a folder with almost nothing in it.

Mar 25, 2016 12:03 AM in response to michqnxx

Isn't that dang weird....how it works for you and not others. I guess maybe we're not talking about the same thing?

Personnaly, I see absolutely no reason for Apple to create the shortcut to the the Photostream and not give the user the ability to delete the pics on device. Is Apple trying to help prevent people from deleting their pics? Well, if that's the case, why do they allow the deletion of movies? Sure, the movies are huge but still it's not a big deal to add that feature to the pics. In fact, if you want the ability, then send Apple a "suggestion" in the feedback link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Dec 16, 2016 9:25 PM in response to zaynonymous

Oh my!!! This actually WORKED!!! I had this same problem! I bought the dang 128g 6s then suddenly the entire thing was filled and couldn't take pictures! I tried every single thing people suggested and nothing worked. My SO is a filmmaker and when I synced our computer suddenly half of what he shot for his documentary was clogging up my phone and undeletable! And fiiiiiinally this worked! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Iphone 6 won't let me delete photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.