Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I send email using my own domain address with iCloud the way I can with gmail?

Let's say I own mydomain.com and have a myaddress@mydomain.com email account. I have set that up to forward to gmail, and that would be easy to switch to iCloud. Here's the tricky part: gmail allows me to send email as myaddress@mydomain.com. I've been doing this for years and it works, but I'd like to switch from gmail to iCloud. Can I set up this same behavior with an iCloud @me.com address (which I already have but haven't been using yet)? I know I can obviously switch the forwarding of incoming mail to my @me.com address... but can I send myaddress@mydomain.com email through iCloud the way I can with gmail? All of my devices are Apple: a Mac Mini using Apple's Mail app, and an iPhone and an iPad both using the Apple email app, so I'd rather switch everything over from gmail to iCloud.

P.S. Awe, c'mon Apple. Don't turn those fake addresses into links. I just used them for the sake of giving an example.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 1:32 PM

27 replies

Mar 11, 2017 5:21 PM in response to ColR

Your solution was perfect until yesterday afternoon. Then something must have happened and it does not work anymore. More specifically, my iCloud password - which I have not changed - is not recognized anymore. The system says the password is wrong (it is not wrong). Is your trick still working?

Mar 12, 2017 7:11 AM in response to ColR

Thanks for your reply. Yes, my Apple ID and password work perfectly. I have not changed anything. It simply stop working and, if I delete that account and reinstall it, it does not work. I tried using the full Apple ID ("@me.com", as well as "@icloud.com"), but was not successful. Strange.

Mar 15, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Csound1

Other than to be rude, I'm not sure why you bothered to type that reply. As I said: I have to assume there are a lot of people with multiple domains who use iCloud. What's the best workaround? If you don't have an answer, no worries. You need not type a response. Not using iCloud doesn't answer the question of how others with their own domains work with iCloud.

Mar 15, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Jalpuna

I can only assume that the domain that was your personal domain was provided by google to begin with. I can't see how otherwise when your replying how it would let you use an email other than the one you're logged in to. You can forward all your emails to your iCloud account and then reply from there, but you would always have to use your an iCloud domain. If you don't want to use your primary iCloud account, you can also create an alias (if you want something else to be the email that appears on the recipients end) but it would always be @icloud.com.

iCloud: Create or change email aliases

Mar 15, 2015 2:07 PM in response to Elenilam

Ah, I should have made that clear. My domain didn't come from google. It was purchased at and is hosted at dreamhost, but I haven't used their email servers in years - I just route everything through gmail. I actually have a bunch of domains (with websites).

Gmail has an option that lets someone with custom domains send (and receive) email through gmail using the custom domain once Google confirms proper ownership of the domain (to prevent spammers and such). Gmail has a setting for "send email as" which allows gmail to be sent using a custom domain as the sender. I'm pretty sure Apple's old mobileme had this feature too, but I didn't use it.

Can I send email using my own domain address with iCloud the way I can with gmail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.