Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropbox letter ending support and use by 10.4 Tiger and 10. Leopard on May 18, 2015

Hi everyone! and ChitlinsCC!

I know I owe some of you more replies in other threads....Sorry I got distracted viewing the latest posting by ChitlinsCC, in another thread so I made a new one for this new question :

I borrowed the following from your (ChitlinsCC's) posting under "How do I do the rewards here properly for answering/helping replies to questions https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6870828

User uploaded file

Look at the two red circles.......

I see you have "dropbox" icons, as I do, listed in all of your Screen shot images of the Finder! (for those who don't know its the little box object with open lids)

Its useful for sharing photos among the family.

I'm sure you got their letter (if not check your inbox)

They sent a letter dated January 20, 2015,

stating (oh here is the letter in full so I don't have to paraphrase it)

(Dropbox logo does not copy/paste)

Hi (owner name of Dropbox),

We noticed that you're running the Dropbox desktop application (client) on an older operating system (OS X Tiger 10.4 or OS X Leopard 10.5). We're writing to let you know that as of May 18th, Dropbox will no longer support these older versions of OS X

Don't worry — your files and photos aren't going anywhere! But you'll need to update your computer to OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later to access them through the Dropbox desktop application. Apple's instructions on how to update your operating system can be found here.

If you don't want to update your operating system, your files will still be available through the Dropbox website. However, on May 18th you'll be signed out of your Dropbox account on your computer and the Dropbox desktop application will no longer be accessible.

We apologize for the inconvenience. For more information, please check out our Help Center.

Sincerely,

- The Dropbox Team

----------

So both TIger and Leopard users will no longer have access to this valuable photo sharing service. (Too bad I could not post this in BOTH the Tiger and Leopard OSX discussion groups!)

The recommendation solution they provide, that we "upgrade" to 10.6 is a joke.... I'm Re-reading that line to say "Find the money and get yourself a new machine and all new software and then you can use Dropbox again!" (for free!)

Just anyone's comments or subsituations or can we all write to Dropbox and persuade them to keep it going past May 18th 2015?

Thanks all!

Mac_Help

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Apple Chip not Intel chip

Posted on Mar 15, 2015 5:59 PM

7 replies

Mar 16, 2015 10:50 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua!

I've had this same exact situation with expiring apps on iPad and (ahem.... "older Windows") and it does not do me any good to try now (though I might give a try to remember how its done)... for after I lose the account on Tiger---then its a new ballgame as they say and if the Dropbox is still accessible after May 18th would be unknown until we actually try it.

Been meaning to write to them directly---but everyone here knows everything so well--I'd thought I'd give it a try here and see if anyone knows something.... (Am I allowed to post the same question under "Leopard"?? to get attention of those owners who may have some more knowledge (might be more of them still using Leopard as its just newer version of Tiger---less years off the Apple Care).

So can I do that? Or is double postings "spam" here? I don't want to get in trouble!

Thanks!

Mac_Help

Mar 18, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Mac_Help

Howdy all

I read this (I got one too) to mean that the DropBox App that runs in the background is going away. No syncing cloud with the Finder folder? OR.....

If we read the message LITERALLY, only SUPPORT for the product will cease - no more updates, etc. - just like any end-of-life-cycle product - Apple doesn't really support Tiger anymore do they?

We will indeed have to wait and see just what happens* on the "DropBoxDeadlineDay" =

have gone unanswered, much like another popular website in which we participate.

* My guess is that the cloud-server-side of the process will simply cease communicating or send some error message via "Bubble Alert" on top of the Finder like the "share" messages do.

ÇÇÇ

Mar 20, 2015 5:25 PM in response to Mac_Help

Replying to your Replies in the order they came!

Hi BDAqua!

Yes, I'll post it also in Leopard section, see if I get anyone to "bite" there, and reply.

You are free to post your reply(ies) above also there as I'd copy your responses, but then you don't get credit from "me" for answering them twice you see 😉

-------------

Hi rccharles!

It's all the same protocol for file upload after all. If it gives problems, you can always change the user agent string to something acceptable. The user agent string is all the server knows about your machine anyway.

Whew! I thought I'd knew a lot about computers... I'd have to go back to school to take night classes for a year or two to learn all that you threw out there.... What is what agent that is what changed? and how? On a Tiger Mac? Lots to learn (read that as many a slip twixt the cup and the lip) if I try to fool around with stuff I don't know anything about on May 18th, might lose all "user agent" contacts for the Mac, whatever they are!

Thanks for understanding that some of us here are new to the vocabulary there!!

--------------

Hi ChitlinsCC!!

Yes! Great message there!

I'd love to be able to read it "LITERALLY" too... but I had to post "some sort of question" to ask to get responses and saying that I just didn't know if the message was one meaning or another might get no replies you see!

I believe as I think in the first post, that the app/application will simply cease to work...crash upon start up or give your "bubble alert" saying its unable to contact its server anymore----that would be a clear definition of lack of "support" for Tiger and Leopard, if you no longer can either upload photos, sort photos, send photos, etc etc using the app (except on the web, online version ----now wasn't it stupid of me to 10 years ago----to reduce my Dropbox password and User name to "memorized" values of * *********** in the computer's (not mine) memory. Someday maybe someone will figure out how to re-display a hidden password for the owner who has forgotten his and wants to link through a public computer or other device.

Thanks for trying to contact Dropbox.... Now I know what will happen if I do it (and saved me typing all of this over for the Dropbox people to "ignore".

Thanks again!

Mac_Help

Mar 20, 2015 8:14 PM in response to Mac_Help

Whew! I thought I'd knew a lot about computers... I'd have to go back to school to take night classes for a year or two to learn all that you threw out there....

Just hang out here for several hours per day. Read at first. Answer questions. You knowledge increases every day.

What is what agent that is what changed? and how?

I found about User Agent from running iCab.de

You need to install user agent switcher

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

to see

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

Dropbox letter ending support and use by 10.4 Tiger and 10. Leopard on May 18, 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.