Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5K problems - artifacts, glitches and etc.

Hello dear Apple.

I have bought new iMac with retina 5K display and I have found lot of problems with it. It was December 2014 when I got my first iMac. And after then I have 4 replacements and in each iMac the same problems.

The first problem is I can't open high resolution images with standard Preview.app. I mean 'high resolution' - more then 30-40 megapixels. When I open them, I see image only 2-3 seconds, and after zoom/pan appears horizontal artifacts. I can't open big panoramas or images like thisRembrandt.jpg; Carpaccio.jpg; Holbein.jpg

The second problem, when I change resolution in to scaled mode (System Preferences/Display) for increase scale on display. I found when use rectangular selection on desktop background it has left some footprints/lines after itself. It is particularly unpleasant if you have plain colour desktop background. You can view, how does it look here.

The next problem with animation. Glitches appears in different parts of interface and programs, e.g. in Time Machine some parts of windows are freezed or appear some artifacts or glitches beside window's border. Unexpected glitches are appearing when I use Mission Control, or Adobe application or other, or simply rename a files. I have found few discussions with a problems like mine, but in the separate places

5K iMac - bad GPUs?

Graphic Problems with Retina iMac

iMac 5K and indesign glitch

And after that I want to tell you that I have this problems on four (4) iMacs. It was really difficult to arrange four replaces. I have lost a lot of time an spent a lot of nerves for discuss and resolve my problems with Apple support. Finally, they told me that they do not know about problems with iMacs, and they could offer give my money back. I glad to get my funds, but now in my country price for iMacs has doubled. And if they refund my money, I can buy half new iMac only.

I am sorry for my bad english and style. So I do not know what I should do with that. And should I hope, that my problem will fix in OS X updates or is it hardware problem of whole line of ne iMacs?!

It is a second post of my problem, it happened because in previous one my question flagged as 'already solved' but it is not true.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Core i7, AMD M295X

Posted on Mar 16, 2015 3:56 PM

7 replies

Mar 17, 2015 3:57 AM in response to a brody

Thank you brody. But I have already tried to resolve my problem in AppleCare and they can't resolve it. They can offer refund my money. And as I told, I can't buy any iMac for these money (price is doubled now in Russia).

I am writing here, because I would like to ask everybody who use retina iMacs - Are there any problems with graphics, like in my case? Could you kindly check their machines by glitches?

For the first, can you enlarge scale in System preference/Display and install plain dark color desktop background. Are there any footprints after rectangular selection like in my video https://youtu.be/dBglFvjJx1Q?

And for the second, could you download this image https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn _-_Nachtwacht_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg and open in plain Preview.app, and zoom it? Are there any glitches?

Thank forward.

Apr 7, 2015 1:35 PM in response to proxymoto

Hello everyone,

I use a iMac Retina with standard M290X, 1TB fusion and 24MB Ram upgraded by myself.

I don't have any of the glitches shown here (I tested the Rembrandt_Harmensz._van_Rijn_-_Nachtwacht_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg) as well as the others shown here.

Still I have issues with iMac retina graphics i.e. GPU Reset in logs due to java applications and display flashing white with artifacts and glitches as shown in video below.

https://vid.me/Midg

I'm partecipating in beta test of yosemite and reported this one.

Important to say that what shown in video disappeared and graphics was (is after 24h of the happening) back to normality after logging in and out with another user.

eugenio

Jun 16, 2015 9:53 PM in response to jaicruvoir

Clearly, there aren't sufficient answers to address this question.

That said:

What is the heat situation when you're getting the artifacts?

Have you studied the artifacts while you're using an application like iStat? What did you notice?

Is there any fan activity when the artifacts occur? When (if at all) do you hear the fans?

You get the drift of the questions: time and again, high heat has been associated with graphics glitches.

iMac 5K problems - artifacts, glitches and etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.