Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ex-Lease 2010 Macbook upgrade path

I have a Macbook 7,1 coming to me this week or next. It currently has 2GB RAM and a 250GB hard drive. I don't want to overdo it but am wondering several things:

1) Would it cope with a single 8GB module intended for a later mac model? (I upgraded my Mac Mini to 16GB and tbh not really sure it needs that much for what I do)

2) Does it need to have RAM in both slots (I don't yet know how its coming... with 1x 2GB or 2x 1GB)

3) Contemplating either an SSD of similar size (256 I guess) as the current, or a larger standard HD. Whats the largest drive this model can take, does anyone know?

Thanks in advance

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Will be upgraded to 10.9 or 10.10

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 5:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 5:27 PM

Yes I think 8gb module will work as apple doesn't update its support page when higher capacity ram become available.

You probably want to keep both slots filled. It is advised in apple support page

You can use 2gb + 2gb or 4gb +4gb arrangement if you don't use that much ram(16gb)

15 replies

Mar 17, 2015 5:30 PM in response to DheemanF04

I was actually contemplating relegating the Mini to do duty as HTPC and use the Macbook for everything else. I guess I could put the old 4GB back in and use both the 8GB modules (assuming they fit, and that they arent incompatible in some way, which is what really concerned me) Good to know I need to fill both slots, thats one question sorted, thank you 🙂

Mar 17, 2015 5:56 PM in response to DheemanF04

For the mini, its PC3-12800 DDR3 1600 MHz 204-pin SO-DIMM, and for the Macbook, its PC3-8500 DDR3 1066 MHz 204-pin SO-DIMM

This was the conundrum. Its easy if they are the same, my issue is that they arent, and is there any risk in trying it? If they simply arent recognised by the system, thats one thing, but if theres a potential for damage, something completely different. Thats why I am asking, I guess. My thinking is clarifying even more, thanks for your input, its helping.

Mar 18, 2015 12:03 AM in response to kyte

So according to LowEndMac this model can be upgraded to 16 GB RAM:

http://lowendmac.com/2010/unibody-macbook-mid-2010/

Here's the OWC site for your model:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/8566DDR3S8GP/

"2) Does it need to have RAM in both slots (I don't yet know how its coming... with 1x 2GB or 2x 1GB)"

In general it's thought that these MacBooks run better with a matched pair of RAM.

"3) Contemplating either an SSD of similar size (256 I guess) as the current, or a larger standard HD. Whats the largest drive this model can take, does anyone know?"

The largest this model can take is 960 GB but at $649 that gets pretty expensive.

I updated a client's 2009 MacBook Unibody w/ a 240 GB SSD. I used some spare RAM I had around but only 4 GB. It was running very nicely.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/SSD/Mercury_Electra_3G_Solid_Sta te

Never had compatibility issues w/ anything from OWC.

Mar 29, 2015 2:49 PM in response to DheemanF04

since spudnuty has not yet replied, I will. I read the threads which suggested it wouldnt work and believed them but because I'm a find out for yourself kind of girl, I tried, and it doesnt work. It fits OK but the Macbook can't downclock so no, no go.

I'll be buying new RAM to go in, and while I'm at it will also replace the battery and hard drive.

Mar 29, 2015 3:42 PM in response to spudnuty

Not yet, but I intend to. I really want a 512 (or thereabouts) but can probably (realistically) only afford a 256. I don't want to be opening and closing often, so I'll do it all at once. It could be said that Yosemite is a tad slow with only 2GB and a 5400rpm drive 🙂. The battery is losing capacity quite quickly, too. Its already lost another 3% since I received the machine a week ago, so I figured I may as well replace that, at the same time as I do everything else.

ex-Lease 2010 Macbook upgrade path

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.