Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.2 Issue: USB audio no longer working

Hi everyone,

My wife has an iPhone 6 Plus and I have an iPhone 6 and we are both experiencing it, so it's not isolated to a specific phone or phone model. Bluetooth audio is unaffected; the issue is only present when using the Lightning USB cable (yes it's Apple branded) to connect to any of my vehicles. All of the vehicles were working the night before I applied the iOS 8.2 update, but now show "No Data". The phone is charging when it's connected so the port is working and I've tried several different cables to make sure that wasn't the problem. Two of the vehicles are Honda and the third is a BMW so the issue is not related to specific firmware since those radios are made by completely separate manufacturers.

And before it's the first suggestion, wiping my phone back to factory settings is not an option. I have too many things like RSA soft tokens and proprietary app data that isn't able to be backed up due to security concerns, so losing this data is not something I will do voluntarily. Even if that were to work, it is definitely an issue that it has to be done in the first place; I expect an update to not require a factory reset before the device works properly.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this issue? Any and all ideas on how to fix this are certainly welcome.

Thanks!

-David

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 5:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2015 11:03 AM

I Have an iPhone 5S with IOS 8.3. Already with IOS 8.2 I got the problem, mentioned above.

I'm using the iPhone in my Volvo XC60. I can use BT and also USB in the car for streaming audio.

But not any more after update to 8.2 !!

THERE IS NOW A SOLUTION !! (Anyway for using in Volvo !) : you must have at least 1 piece of music in your music directory of your iPhone. After putting music on it, I can use USB again and iPod. Nice to use Spotify again by USB because quality misic is much better than by BT.

ALSO SOLUTION FOR OTHER CARS ??

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2015 11:03 AM in response to darkknightuga

I Have an iPhone 5S with IOS 8.3. Already with IOS 8.2 I got the problem, mentioned above.

I'm using the iPhone in my Volvo XC60. I can use BT and also USB in the car for streaming audio.

But not any more after update to 8.2 !!

THERE IS NOW A SOLUTION !! (Anyway for using in Volvo !) : you must have at least 1 piece of music in your music directory of your iPhone. After putting music on it, I can use USB again and iPod. Nice to use Spotify again by USB because quality misic is much better than by BT.

ALSO SOLUTION FOR OTHER CARS ??

Mar 21, 2015 1:59 PM in response to darkknightuga

I have the same problem with a 5s and a 2011 Volvo C70. The radio shows: "Unreadable" and after a min the phone shows: "Accessory not supported"

I did some testing too (all original cables):

Phone #1 (6)

• 8.1.3 - works
  • upgraded to 8.2 - works

Phone #2 (5s)

• 8.1.3 - works
  • upgraded to 8.2 - works

Phone #3 (5s)

• 8.1.3 - works
  • upgraded to 8.2 - didn't work
  • did a clean install of 8.2 - didn't work
  • did a clean install of 8.1.3 - worked
  • upgraded again to 8.2 - didn't work

I really don't know what to make out of this.

Mar 23, 2015 2:51 PM in response to darkknightuga

Same for me.

After having updated my iPhone 4S from 8.1 to iOS 8.2, it no longer works with my E92 335i xDrive.

I'm connected using an Apple USB cable. Everything was fine before 8.2

I'm still able to play musing through bluetooth, but not using the cable. The music shows up on the screen but do not start through iDrive command.

I'm able to play it from the iPhone though. But it is not practical while driving :-((

I updated my BMW to the latest firmware, but it did not solve the issue.

According BMW, firmware update TX-003.005.008-003.004 should work with build 12B466 / iOS 8.1.3

Nothing is mentioned for iOS 8.2

It's definitely an Apple issue with iOS 8.2. It's really too bad that Apple is no longer delivering properly checked iOS to it's users.

At least, a downgrade should be built in iTunes. I could tweak around but in my case, it is also a company profile and the backup is secured, and I don't have the password.

I can't understand latest Apple policy. We're so used to using our phones in our cars, I can't understand there's nobody to double check that the releases do not causes more problems than they fix bugs before releasing it to the public.

Considering another brand seriously for my next phone...

Mar 24, 2015 8:41 AM in response to JeffCH66

Same problem. I have a 5 (not 5S), and connect via USB to my 2010 Honda Civic (no bluetooth).

When I connect, it says "No Song", which is new (as opposed to "No Data").

I did notice, in 8.1.3, that one thing that "broke" was that the podcast (during my long drives to/from work) didn't automatically pause, when switching to the radio, for instance, to hear a traffic report; it just kept on playing, so you had to pause by tapping the phone (if it was unlocked).

The ability to listen to my podcasts through my car radio, and control through the car dashboard, is important. I can NOT control via my phone. Not only is it more dangerous, but it's now illegal in Montreal to be caught fiddling with your phone while at the wheel!

Mar 24, 2015 11:48 AM in response to darkknightuga

Okay, so apparently I did something and it started working but I can't figure out what that is. It must be one of these:

listened to few podcasts over the week and deleted them (could be a corrupt file)

turned on and off iTunes Match (could be a corrupt mp3 that got re-downloaded)

connected the phone to the desktop to perform a sync (no idea)

Do any of you have iTunes Match ? Can you play with it a bit?

Apr 16, 2015 11:03 AM in response to Alderu

Amazing! I have no idea why that would need to be the case, but go figure. It may be worth noting that I have since upgraded to iOS 8.3 (obviously in hopes that Apple would address the issue). I downloaded an empty 1-minute mp3 and synced it to my phone. That solved the issue on all of my vehicles (Honda, BMW). Thanks so much @Alderu!

-David

iOS 8.2 Issue: USB audio no longer working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.