Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite/Safari/iTunes/Bluetooth

In the middle of using my computer, while on Safari, listening to iTunes, a song will stop and a super loud white noise at volume 11 takes over and won't stop unless I push pause, close my MacBook and/or shut off the power to my bluetooth speaker. This never happened prior to Yosemite. Please help me stop this. The noise is insanely alarming and scares **** out of me and my cats because it happens for no discernible reason or cause (except when switch from one web page to another).

Thank you.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 17, 2015 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 4:23 AM

I have exactly the same problem with my iMac (end 2009) and a Bose Bluetooth box after upgrading to Yosemite.

Earlier (fall 2014) I had problems with the synchronization of sound of movies, and then I switched back to 10.9. Now this is over, and I decided to upgrade to Yosemite again because of an application that required that.

I feel sorry I did, because the application appeared to be rubbish, but I don't like the idea of switching back again. Strange thing is that other Bluetooth devices (keyboard, mouse, telephone) have no problems.

Now I play my music through my iPad, which gives no problems. In the meantime I found a possible solution that also comes from this forum. It concerns resetting the PRAM by restarting with Cmd-Option(alt)-P-R buttons pressed until you hear the start-up sound for the second time. I did this and now I already listen for about 45 minutes without problems...... But I have the strange feeling that the sound quality is less than with my iPad. I will study this further, problem is that you cannot switch very fast from iMac to iPad.

Will keep you informed.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 4:23 AM in response to DaveDunk

I have exactly the same problem with my iMac (end 2009) and a Bose Bluetooth box after upgrading to Yosemite.

Earlier (fall 2014) I had problems with the synchronization of sound of movies, and then I switched back to 10.9. Now this is over, and I decided to upgrade to Yosemite again because of an application that required that.

I feel sorry I did, because the application appeared to be rubbish, but I don't like the idea of switching back again. Strange thing is that other Bluetooth devices (keyboard, mouse, telephone) have no problems.

Now I play my music through my iPad, which gives no problems. In the meantime I found a possible solution that also comes from this forum. It concerns resetting the PRAM by restarting with Cmd-Option(alt)-P-R buttons pressed until you hear the start-up sound for the second time. I did this and now I already listen for about 45 minutes without problems...... But I have the strange feeling that the sound quality is less than with my iPad. I will study this further, problem is that you cannot switch very fast from iMac to iPad.

Will keep you informed.

Apr 2, 2015 2:00 PM in response to DaveDunk

I'm anxious what the result is. I am listening now all evening (it's almost 23:00 h here) and had no problems at all. The quality difference I mentioned is not a fact, I have listened to the same music fragments from my iPad and iMac and there is no difference in sound quality.

I have another problem, but I don't think this is related. When I stop playing by clicking the stop button of iTunes it happens that after some time suddenly the music starts playing again. I really don't know what is the cause, but it's not that serious because when I stop execution of iTunes it does of course not happen.

Regards, Ad

Apr 4, 2015 1:09 PM in response to DaveDunk

SMC and PVRAM resets do not change the issue with Bluetooth and Yosemite view this threadSudden loud static noise on bluetooth headset and you'll find many of us have exactly same problem that hasn't changed loud outbursts and dropped connection as well as mouse and keyboard losing connectivity only this trick helped me but not a fix for outburstsThe standard setting prevents conflict with other Bluetooth devices. If you'd like better audio though, you can change the settings with this terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.BluetoothAudioAgent "Apple Bitpool Min (editable)" -int 40

This command works in other versions of OS X, but the Bluetooth Audio problems seem worse in Yosemite than previous versions. The number 40 is the sound quality setting. Note: a higher number could cause compatibility problems with other Bluetooth devices, so start at 40 and work your way up.

Apr 5, 2015 12:26 AM in response to PATRICKMELE

@ PATRICKMELE

Then simply explain to me why I always had this problem after playing music for 15 minutes or less, and since I restarted with resetting PRAM I never had the problem again while I played music all evening for several days.

When theory says yes and practice says no, there is something wrong with the theory. As a theoretical scientist I know this as nobody else!

The problem is (was) not bad sound quality by the way, but a loud noise deafening music and all other audio. Please read the startpost!

Regards, Ad Bakker

Apr 5, 2015 2:30 PM in response to ad bakker

To complicate matters, after three days of no white noise at all, it returned this morning. And it scared the heck out of me and a visitor. Not cool.

To be clear, I'm no techie. The best I can do is discern that when I have Safari and iTunes going (on Bluetooth, NOT just on my computer) at the same time, the problem arises. Specifically when I have several Safari windows open and bring up pages often. This problem never happened prior Yosemite.

I just tried the Command/Option/P/R action again.

We'll see . . .

Thanks,

Dave

Yosemite/Safari/iTunes/Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.